Alan White, drummer with proggers Yes...Thanks for all the great music with John Lennon, George Harrison & others. Your music will never be forgotten!

I photographed Yes in Jacksonville a couple of years ago. Steve Howe looked like a skull in a suit. Alan White came out and played only three songs. He'd been ill, but I don't know if that illness played a role in his death...

• Banned
I photographed Yes in Jacksonville a couple of years ago. Steve Howe looked like a skull in a suit. Alan White came out and played only three songs. He'd been ill, but I don't know if that illness played a role in his death...
can you produce the pics? i'm not their biggest fan but i'm interested in classic rock photography...i read the British Classic Rock Mag

• Banned
White did not perform on Close To The Edge.
sorry bro, but YES he did...he joined the band in 1972...Close To The Edge was his debut...and he was about to perform on the 50th Close to the Edge anniversary before he died

sorry bro, but YES he did...he joined the band in 1972...Close To The Edge was his debut...

Sorry but he didn't. Pick up a copy of Close to the Edge and LOOK at the band listed and you will see that Bill Bruford not White played for the band.

It was AFTER they recorded Close To The Edge that Bruford decided to leave for King Krimson that they brought White in from some hackneyed group to play drums for them so that they could do Close to the Edge on tour and they liked him and kept him after that.

But when you play the album, you are hearing Bill Bruford. If you happened to see them do Close . . . . while touring the country, then you saw White subbing in for Bruford, but White did NOT perform materially nor compositionally on nor record the actual album you linked above nor keep any royalties for the album.

Sorry but he didn't. Pick up a copy of Close to the Edge and LOOK at the band listed and you will see that Bill Bruford not White played for the band.

It was AFTER they recorded Close To The Edge that Bruford decided to leave for King Krimson that they brought White in from some hackneyed group to play drums for them so that they could do Close to the Edge on tour and they liked him and kept him after that.

But when you play the album, you are hearing Bill Bruford. If you happened to see them do Close . . . . while touring the country, then you saw White subbing in for Bruford, but White did NOT perform materially nor compositionally on nor record the actual album you linked above nor jeep any royalties for the album.
maybe you're right...you have the physical album, i have wikipedia, so you're the superior source, i'm tapping out

maybe you're right...you have the physical album, i have wikipedia, so you're the superior source, i'm tapping out

Here is a photo of the back cover of Close to the Edge. No White.

See the source image

Here is a photo of the back cover of Close to the Edge. No White.

See the source image
i read Classic Rock Magazine, the British publication every month...that's the extent of my experience with classic rock music, and of course i listen to the bands i read about in the mag...you have much more experience than me having actually lived during the era...i was born in 1988

not making excuses though...i f'd up

Bill Bruford is still alive btw, at 73 years old...maybe they'll bring him back to the line-up?

i read Classic Rock Magazine, the British publication every month...that's the extent of my experience with classic rock music, and of course i listen to the bands i read about in the mag...you have much more experience than me having actually lived during the era...i was born in 1988

I was in a record store in 1972 and this bright green album caught my attention, it looked really cool like something I'd like to have a cover like that so on a whim I bought it. Turns out that was Close To The Edge, and that's how I discovered the band. I have original pressings of their first 7-8 albums, though Yes's first album much like Moody Blues first album was quite a bit different from their core sound developed later which brought them fame.

Forum List

Back