Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect

Undocumented immigrants enter our country to escape poverty, not to become criminals. The criminals are those who employ them, who exploit labor and defraud the taxpayer by not paying payroll taxes and living wages. Those farmers in the link who whine about losing their crop and income have violated the law for years.

The answer is comprehensive immigration reform, something the criminal business element wants to avoid. Very simply, The Congress must recognize the problem, not exploit it for partisan gain, and create a process where farmers can legally hire immigrants for seasonal work.

Full-time permanent employment must be more fully restricted as long as our country has high unemployment; the devil is in the details but one important detail is to make the employer pay in terms of fines and jail time. It makes no sense not to enforce our laws and it is unjust to punish the employee and not the employer.

Whether it allows it or not does not mean it does not occur a whole lot and making more laws that send negative messages will make the situation worse not better.

Whether it allows it or not does not mean it does not occur a whole lot and making more laws that send negative messages will make the situation worse not better.

The only negative message the Alabama law conveys is that if you break the law, you will be punished if caught. It in no way increases the likelihood of any negative effects to LEGAL residents, LEGAL immigrants, etc.

The assertion that it occurs 'a whole lot', is completely irrelevant to the law itself, as the law doesn't have any language that would increase the occurrences.

No one who is legal has anything to worry about from this law. No one NOT BREAKING THE LAW in some other way, shape or form, has anything to worry about from this law.

The Alabama law does NOT allow authorities to simply walk up to people who 'look' suspiciously illegal, and ask for proof of anything. PERIOD.

It doesn't. Read it.

he only negative message the Alabama law conveys is that if you break the law, you will be punished if caught. It in no way increases the likelihood of any negative effects to LEGAL residents, LEGAL immigrants, etc.

You clearly haven't ever had to live in Alabama being Hispanic....the message it conveys is we don't want Hispanics here legal or not.

Last edited:
he only negative message the Alabama law conveys is that if you break the law, you will be punished if caught. It in no way increases the likelihood of any negative effects to LEGAL residents, LEGAL immigrants, etc.

You clearly haven't ever had to live in Alabama being Hispanic....the message it conveys is we don't want Hispanics here legal or not.

Only to people looking for that message. I can't help your persecution complex.

If you're here legally, you're safe.

If you're not here legally, and you don't do anything stupid to make the authorities detain you, you're safe as well since the new law doesn't allow for you to be stopped in WalMart for 'looking' illegal.

If you're not here legally, and you do something stupid to make the authorities detain you, under the Alabama law your status will be checked, verified, and appropriate action will be taken.

It really is that simple.

really are you sure about that? Tell that to the Gadsden, Alabama man who was ARRESTED because some idiot assumed he was illegal..turns out he is a US citizen.

GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) — A man suspected of violating Alabama’s new immigration law turned out to be in the country legally.
The Etowah County Sheriff’s Department apprehended three men from Yemen during a drug raid Friday. One produced papers showing he had become a citizen. The second had a work visa. But the third man, who was accused of obstructing a government operation, could not produce any records and was held in jail.
Etowah County officials said Monday an attorney for 24-year-old Mohamed Ali Muflahi later produced papers showing he had legal status.
Sheriff Todd Entrekin said it was the first immigration case to come up in Etowah County since the law took effect Thursday.

Man detained in Gadsden under new Alabama immigration law turns out to be legal | al.com

so the first person to be detained under the law turns out to be a US citizen..interesting...and you wonder why minorities are leaving Alabama if they aren't illegal..this is why.

The new law says you have to have your papers on you all the time and produce them on demand regardless.. I hope you never run to the mail box without your birth certificate on you...

btw, these guys were supposedly given the ' obstruction of government operation line' what was the obstruction? They asked for a warrant.

really are you sure about that? Tell that to the Gadsden, Alabama man who was ARRESTED because some idiot assumed he was illegal..turns out he is a US citizen.

GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) — A man suspected of violating Alabama’s new immigration law turned out to be in the country legally.
The Etowah County Sheriff’s Department apprehended three men from Yemen during a drug raid Friday. One produced papers showing he had become a citizen. The second had a work visa. But the third man, who was accused of obstructing a government operation, could not produce any records and was held in jail.
Etowah County officials said Monday an attorney for 24-year-old Mohamed Ali Muflahi later produced papers showing he had legal status.
Sheriff Todd Entrekin said it was the first immigration case to come up in Etowah County since the law took effect Thursday.

Man detained in Gadsden under new Alabama immigration law turns out to be legal | al.com

so the first person to be detained under the law turns out to be a US citizen..interesting...and you wonder why minorities are leaving Alabama if they aren't illegal..this is why.

Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.

From your linked piece...
Firstly, the man was detained during a drug raid... not walking through the grocery store thumping melons or buying a Slurpee at 7-11.

Secondly, one he produced proof he was legal, he was released.

The law worked exactly as it is designed to do. He was arrested in a drug raid, there was question as to his status, he produced proof of status, he was released.

How is this proof the law targets legals?

It isn't.

So it is ok just to randomly arrest people Conservative because they don't happen to have their 'proof' they are a citizen on them?
Oh and of the misdemeanor of not having proof of his immigration status..he has no immigration status the morons seem to be unable to comprhend the meaning of US CITIZEN.

Now, as to your assertation that this was a drug raid..interesting that the only charge against him was that he was obstructing a government operation...wtf? The obstruction..he asked the police for a warrant..yeah some obstruction there...there were no drugs...

Last edited:
The new law says you have to have your papers on you all the time and produce them on demand regardless.. I hope you never run to the mail box without your birth certificate on you...

btw, these guys were supposedly given the ' obstruction of government operation line' what was the obstruction? They asked for a warrant.

Show me where in the new law (I linked to the COMPLETE TEXT earlier, is says the authorities can just walk up to someone and 'ask for their papers'.

It doesn't.

What it says...
An alien possessing self-identification in any of the following forms is entitled to the presumption that he or she is an alien lawfully present in the United States:

a. A valid, unexpired Alabama driver’s license.

b. A valid, unexpired Alabama nondriver identification card.

c. A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification bearing a photograph or other biometric identifier.

d. Any valid United States federal or state government issued identification document bearing a photograph or other biometric identifier, if issued by an entity that requires proof of lawful presence in the United States before issuance.

e. A foreign passport with an unexpired United States Visa and a corresponding stamp or notation by the United States Department of Homeland Security indicating the bearer’s admission to the United States.

f. A foreign passport issued by a visa waiver country with the corresponding entry stamp and unexpired duration of stay annotation or an I-94W form by the United States Department of Homeland Security indicating the bearer’s admission to the United States.
Possession does not men you have to carry it with you. It means you have to HAVE it. I possess a birth certificate... but I do not have to carry it... and neither do legal immigrants mentioned above.

No place in the law do authorities get the right to simply detain you or ask for your papers. PERIOD.

Your lack of comprehension is astounding... unless of course you've not bothered to even read the law. In that case, it would be understandable. Sad, but understandable.

So it is ok just to randomly arrest people Conservative because they don't happen to have their 'proof' they are a citizen on them?

Now, as to your assertation that this was a drug raid..interesting that the only charge against him was that he was obstructing a government operation...wtf? The obstruction..he asked the police for a warrant..yeah some obstruction there...there were no drugs...

My assertion it was a drug raid? Did you even read your article? The second line says...
The Etowah County Sheriff’s Department apprehended three men from Yemen during a drug raid Friday.

I made no assertion. I repeated what YOUR SOURCE stated as factual.

He was not randomly arrested. He was arrested for obstruction in a drug raid.

Are you mentally deficient or something, that you post a source, then whine about someone quoting that source?

No it wasn't in effect, but the first anti immigration law was. I left in 2008 to come to Honduras for family reasons. There is predominate racism and the perception that all Hispanics are illegal in the communities there in general...you didn't realize there were Hispanic neighborhoods in Douglasville? really? I didn't live in a Hispanic neighborhood but I passed one every day on my way to work...had to as I drove down Mann Road..and often found a license stop there on the way especially on the weekends...interestingly enough right in front of the entrance to that Hispanic neighborhood.

So how do you explain the license checks by my house, which by the way is pretty rural. We don't even have cable, not enough houses on our gravel road.

he is still being charged with violating the immigration statute Conservative so apparently you are wrong about you not needing to carry it with you....Alabama says differently, you do have to carry it with you

ACLU Lens: Justice Department Sues to Block Alabama Immigration Law Previously Challenged by ACLU » Blog of Rights: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU and its partners contend the Alabama law:

Authorizes police to demand “papers” demonstrating citizenship or immigration status during traffic stops; and criminalizes Alabamians for ordinary interactions with undocumented individuals.

If they demand your papers, and they can do that..nothing stops them...and you don't have them you will be arrested and charged for violation of Alabama's immigration law.

In fact, the law is called the ' show me your papers law'

The population where you live is a total of just over 4,000 people. There are about 60 Hispanics in your town. Where they live I do not know..but they live somewhere...using your town as proof of lack of racial discrimination is not really a good indicator. Look at areas like where they do stops in Atlanta or Birmingham for more accurate clues...when you have 60 Hispanics in the entire town yeah it isn't likely they can very well racially profile.

he is still being charged with violating the immigration statute Conservative so apparently you are wrong about you not needing to carry it with you....Alabama says differently, you do have to carry it with you

ACLU Lens: Justice Department Sues to Block Alabama Immigration Law Previously Challenged by ACLU » Blog of Rights: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU and its partners contend the Alabama law:

Authorizes police to demand “papers” demonstrating citizenship or immigration status during traffic stops; and criminalizes Alabamians for ordinary interactions with undocumented individuals.

If they demand your papers, and they can do that..nothing stops them...and you don't have them you will be arrested and charged for violation of Alabama's immigration law.

In fact, the law is called the ' show me your papers law'

My God, you are thick.

Here is the entire text of your cited piece...

WHERE does that say he 'is still being charged under the immigration law'? It doesn't. He WAS detained, he PRODUCED IDENTIFICATION. IF he is still being held, it is NOT because of the immigration law... unless you have another source to back up your assertion. Do you??

Like you, the ACLU has obviously not bothered to read the law.

yes and in Alabama asking for a search warrant gets you slapped with the bogus charge of interferring with a government operation and thrown in jail for three days so they can check your legal status...and you say I am thick..perhaps you need a long look in the mirror...since when is asking for a warrant a crime?

yes and in Alabama asking for a search warrant gets you slapped with the bogus charge of interferring with a government operation and thrown in jail for three days so they can check your legal status...and you say I am thick..perhaps you need a long look in the mirror...since when is asking for a warrant a crime?

Suspect from Yemen turns out to be legal in Alabama | GadsdenTimes.com
A man charged with violating Alabama’s new immigration law has been released from jail after his attorney provided documentation showing he is in the United States legally, Sheriff Todd Entrekin said.

Mohamed Ali Muflahi, 24, on Friday was arrested during a drug raid at a home on Madison Avenue and charged with obstructing a government operation. While being booked in at the Etowah County jail, he told jail officials he is from Yemen and was not in the country legally, Entrekin said.

His attorney on Monday provided documents that show he is in the United States legally.

The immigration law charge was dismissed and Muflahi has been released from jail.

Wanna try again???

not saying there wasn't a drug raid but he has NO FN DRUG CHARGES AGAINST HIM..what part of that did you somehow miss? The charge of interference with a government operation came from the man demanding the search warrant....

Forum List

Back