Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect

Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect - Yahoo! News

Remember, this law has forced away LEGAL residents, LEGAL residents, dumb ass Republicans.

How did the law force away LEGAL residents?

read what I wrote above. Any Hispanic who has lived in either Alabama or Georgia knows exactly why it is forcing out legal residents. Things were already difficult for even legal residents and citizens before this law...now that this law is in place that will make their life much more difficult because they won't even be able to go to the store without some authority harrassing them about what their status is.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the employers pony up and start paying wages that will attract Americans.

I will certainly be interesting to see if American workers pony up and start working instead of living off the government. Funny, in Georgia crops are ruining but unemployment is over 10%. 99 weeks is a long time.

True story.
Red staters don't want to work, apparently.

Remember, this law has forced away LEGAL residents, LEGAL residents, dumb ass Republicans.

This is an opinion piece based on what? Not much.

The writer lost creditability when he said construction jobs are jobs Americans won't work! LOL, in Chicago I know a ton of construction workers that are White, Black, Asian and Latino! Americans will do that work! Americans will do landscaping and other jobs. These employers will have to replace the illegals who shouldn't have hired in the first place.

I love the line many "legal" immigrants leave because they don't have the proper paperwork! LOL, first by definition if they don't have the proper paperwork then they are ILLEGALLY here. Second, if your here legally it's not hard to get proper paper work like a State ID or Driver's License!

Alabama is doing it right! More states need to pick up their effort!

With unemployment at 9% official, but unofficially at around 20%. With African American unemployment at officially 19% unofficially at 30%, with construction worker unemployment at around 40%, I guarantee these employers won't have trouble filling the position!

Last edited:

read what I wrote above. Any Hispanic who has lived in either Alabama or Georgia knows exactly why it is forcing out legal residents. Things were already difficult for even legal residents and citizens before this law...now that this law is in place that will make their life much more difficult because they won't even be able to go to the store without some authority harrassing them about what their status is.

please provide a link to the text of the law, and specify the part that supports your assertion in bold above. You know, the part of the law that gives authorities the ability to walk up to someone they 'think' is an immigrant and require they prove their legal residency status. Thanks.

You always say you are for workers rights correct? Did you ever get to think that by Alabama taking on illegal immigration they just helped the worker?

For the guy that said he spent thousands of dollars training two workers on installing irrigation systems and now they are leaving. Simple way to change that. Pay them more! I guarantee he trained two guys that came here illegal and eventually became citizens. He spent money training them, but he didn't spend money on their salaries and retaining them. These two vital workers were replacable by other illegals. Now that gravey train has sailed and he needs to pay them what they are worth.

If picking the fields is such hard work that people don't want to do it, then you will have to pay more to get people to do it.

Construction is the biggest crock of shit in the article. Any construction company wouldn't have trouble finding experience hard working Americans for the job!

I guarantee we will read shortly that the AL hospitals are doing well, the emergency rooms are NOT overburdened by no speak any english illegals there with the Flu and the AL school systems will be solvent and have one of the best teacher to student ratios!

Last edited:

please provide a link to the text of the law, and specify the part that supports your assertion in bold above. You know, the part of the law that gives authorities the ability to walk up to someone they 'think' is an immigrant and require they prove their legal residency status. Thanks.

I saved you the trouble...
Text Of Alabama Immigration Law, HB 56

(e) Verification of lawful presence in the United States shall not be required for any of the following:

(1) For primary or secondary school education, and state or local public benefits that are listed in 8 U.S.C. § 1621(b).

(2) For obtaining health care items and services that are necessary for the treatment of an emergency medical condition of the person involved and are not related to an organ transplant procedure.

(3) For short term, noncash, in kind emergency disaster relief.

(4) For public health assistance for immunizations with respect to immunizable diseases, for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, whether or not such symptoms are caused by a communicable disease.

(5) For programs, services, or assistance, such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter specified by federal law or regulation that satisfy all of the following:

a. Deliver in-kind services at the community level, including services through public or private nonprofit agencies.

b. Do not condition the provision of assistance, the amount of assistance provided, or the cost of assistance provided on the income or resources of the individual recipient.

c. Are necessary for the protection of life or safety.

(6) For prenatal care.

(7) For child protective services and adult protective services and domestic violence services workers.

A law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, or other political subdivision of this state may not consider race, color, or national origin in the enforcement of this section except to the extent permitted by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Alabama of 1901.

Section 11. (a) It is unlawful for a person who is an unauthorized alien to knowingly apply for work, solicit work in a public or private place, or perform work as an employee or independent contractor in this state.

(b) In the enforcement of this section, an alien’s immigration status shall be determined by verification of the alien’s immigration status with the federal government pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c). A law enforcement officer shall not attempt to independently make a final determination on whether an alien is authorized to work in the United States.

(c) A law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, or other political subdivision of this state may not consider race, color, or national origin in the enforcement of this section except to the extent permitted by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Alabama of 1901.

(f) It is unlawful for an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped on a street, roadway, or highway to attempt to hire or hire and pick up passengers for work at a different location if the motor vehicle blocks or impedes the normal movement of traffic.

(g) It is unlawful for a person to enter a motor vehicle that is stopped on a street, roadway or highway in order to be hired by an occupant of the motor vehicle and to be transported to work at a different location if the motor vehicle blocks or impedes the normal movement of traffic.

Ah... here's the part some people are scared of...
Section 12. (a) Upon any lawful stop, detention, or arrest made by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement officer of this state in the enforcement of any state law or ordinance of any political subdivision thereof, where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the citizenship and immigration status of the person, except if the determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation. Such determination shall be made by contacting the federal government pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c) and relying upon any verification provided by the federal government.

(b) Any alien who is arrested and booked into custody shall have his or her immigration status determined pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c). The alien’s immigration status shall be verified by contacting the federal government pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c) within 24 hours of the time of the alien’s arrest. If for any reason federal verification pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c) is delayed beyond the time that the alien would otherwise be released from custody, the alien shall be released from custody.

(c) A law enforcement officer shall not attempt to independently make a final determination of whether an alien is lawfully present in the United States. A law enforcement officer may not consider race, color, or national origin in implementing the requirements of this section except to the extent permitted by the United States Constitution or the Constitution of Alabama of 1901.

(d) A person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer any of the following:

(1) A valid, unexpired Alabama driver’s license.

(2) A valid, unexpired Alabama nondriver identification card.

(3) A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification bearing a photograph or other biometric identifier.

(4) Any valid United States federal or state government issued identification document bearing a photograph or other biometric identifier, if issued by an entity that requires proof of lawful presence in the United States before issuance.

(5) A foreign passport with an unexpired United States Visa and a corresponding stamp or notation by the United States Department of Homeland Security indicating the bearer’s admission to the United States.

(6) A foreign passport issued by a visa waiver country with the corresponding entry stamp and unexpired duration of stay annotation or an I-94W form by the United States Department of Homeland Security indicating the bearer’s admission to the United States.

and possibly this section as well...
Section 13. (a) It shall be unlawful for a person to do any of the following:

(1) Conceal, harbor, or shield or attempt to conceal, harbor, or shield or conspire to conceal, harbor, or shield an alien from detection in any place in this state, including any building or any means of transportation, if the person knows or recklessly disregards the fact that the alien has come to, has entered, or remains in the United States in violation of federal law.

(2) Encourage or induce an alien to come to or reside in this state if the person knows or recklessly disregards the fact that such coming to, entering, or residing in the United States is or will be in violation of federal law.

(3) Transport, or attempt to transport, or conspire to transport in this state an alien in furtherance of the unlawful presence of the alien in the United States, knowingly, or in reckless disregard of the fact, that the alien has come to, entered, or remained in the United States in violation of federal law. Conspiracy to be so transported shall be a violation of this subdivision.

(4) Harbor an alien unlawfully present in the United States by entering into a rental agreement, as defined by Section 35-9A-141 of the Code of Alabama 1975, with an alien to provide accommodations, if the person knows or recklessly disregards the fact that the alien is unlawfully present in the United States.

(b) Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for each unlawfully present alien, the illegal presence of which in the United States and the State of Alabama, he or she is facilitating or is attempting to facilitate.

(c) A person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class C felony when the violation involves 10 or more aliens, the illegal presence of which in the United States and the State of Alabama, he or she is facilitating or is attempting to facilitate.

Essentially, the law does NOT allow authorities to simply walk up to random people that 'look' like they might be illegals, and require they produce identification or proof of citizenship or legal status. Anyone who states otherwise has not bothered to actually READ THE LAW, and instead is just parroting liberal talking points.

GHook, there aren't really that many illegal immigrants in Alabama the ones that are there are mostly agricultural workers.

Well, there are a lot that I know of. There is a huge amount of agriculture in southern Alabama and there is still a lot of construction going on, rebuilding from hurricanes and tornados. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell how many.

Conservative...yeah and Alabama cops really abide by not racially profiling...tell us another fib. Those of us who have ever been to Alabama or drove there know better. This is the state where an agricultural worker was stopped when he was returning to Mexico because the season was over and had his wages siezed and his vehicle and he had to sue to get them back.

One of the major complaints is that Latinos are pulled over by police for the most minor of offenses — or no offense at all. Forty-seven percent of the respondents cited traffic stops as the most common form of "unjust treatment" by police. That figure climbs to 55 percent in Alabama and 60 percent in Georgia.

"Even if everything seems fine, I feel like I am being followed," one 37-year-old Mexican man living in Macon, Ga., told SPLC researchers. "If there is a cop behind you and you're doing everything right, you're still afraid."

Police checkpoints in predominately Latino areas are a common complaint, particularly in rural areas of north Alabama. Fifty-five percent of respondents in Alabama said there are police checkpoints where they live.

no racial profiling my eye.

Data provided by the city of Albertville, Ala., showed that 73 percent of the vehicles seized and impounded as a result of roadblocks were taken from drivers with Latino surnames. Census data for the small city in north Alabama shows that Latinos make up only 16 percent of its population.2

Last edited:
Conservative...yeah and Alabama cops really abide by not racially profiling...tell us another fib. Those of us who have ever been to Alabama or drove there know better. This is the state where an agricultural worker was stopped when he was returning to Mexico because the season was over and had his wages siezed and his vehicle and he had to sue to get them back.

One of the major complaints is that Latinos are pulled over by police for the most minor of offenses — or no offense at all. Forty-seven percent of the respondents cited traffic stops as the most common form of "unjust treatment" by police. That figure climbs to 55 percent in Alabama and 60 percent in Georgia.

"Even if everything seems fine, I feel like I am being followed," one 37-year-old Mexican man living in Macon, Ga., told SPLC researchers. "If there is a cop behind you and you're doing everything right, you're still afraid."

Police checkpoints in predominately Latino areas are a common complaint, particularly in rural areas of north Alabama. Fifty-five percent of respondents in Alabama said there are police checkpoints where they live.

Data provided by the city of Albertville, Ala., showed that 73 percent of the vehicles seized and impounded as a result of roadblocks were taken from drivers with Latino surnames. Census data for the small city in north Alabama shows that Latinos make up only 16 percent of its population.2

But I thought there weren't that many agriculture workers in Alabama. :confused:

I live in Georgia, license checks are the norm especially on weekends and in the summer. I always have my license, registration and insurance card available. That's all you need, if you don't have any of the three, yea you could get hauled in. Doesn't matter what your skin looks like.

Naturegirl, in Alabama and Georgia they put those check points in Hispanic areas not in white areas. That is the problem. If they were putting them at random it would not be racially profiling...you get caught up in the check perhaps because you either live in an area that is mostly Hispanic or because you drive through an area that is. Hispanics that are legal or citizens should not be harrassed for their skin color yet lots of people assume that we are not legal.

I did not say cops do not racially profile.

I said there is nothing in the new immigration law that condones or requires it.

YOU stated the law made people afraid to go to the store, for fear they'd be stopped... I asked you to link to and show me the section of the law that supported your claim. You failed to do so, so I stepped up and found the text of the law.

There is NOTHING in the law that condones racial profiling. If it was going on prior to the law, this law did not make it any worse... so your accusation is unfounded.

Naturegirl, in Alabama and Georgia they put those check points in Hispanic areas not in white areas. That is the problem. If they were putting them at random it would not be racially profiling...you get caught up in the check perhaps because you either live in an area that is mostly Hispanic or because you drive through an area that is. Hispanics that are legal or citizens should not be harrassed for their skin color yet lots of people assume that we are not legal.

Now who's profiling?? I live in a diverse area, probably dominated by young white couples. I've been stopped in 6 license checks this summer, less than 1/2 mile from my house. They set them up on backroads, roads that some people like to travel so they won't get noticed on main roads.

ETA, no they were not all in the same place.

Have you even been in a Georgia or Alabama license check??

Last edited:
I most certainly have...lived in Georgia for several years and the area of Georgia I lived was Douglasville which is close to the Alabama state line...I am also Hispanic..got tired of their you drove over the yellow line or you didn't use your turn signal lies. I am a US citizen by birth...my accent is southern..yet somehow driving on Sunday morning at 9 am merits suspicion that you are doing something wrong enough to stop you when you are doing the limit and following all the rules...driving while brown is a very real situation.

Well, I live near Rockmart, Douglasville is a hop skip and a jump from here. I have a couple of good friends that work for Douglas County Sheriff's dept. I even know one of the assistant DAs. I didn't realize there were predominately Hispanic neighborhoods in Douglasville.

Learn something new every day.

Oh and didn't they just pass this law?? Was it in effect when you lived here??

Last edited:
Sometimes racial profiling IS necessary. Sorry but that seems to be the new reality to address many of our current problems !

No it wasn't in effect, but the first anti immigration law was. I left in 2008 to come to Honduras for family reasons. There is predominate racism and the perception that all Hispanics are illegal in the communities there in general...you didn't realize there were Hispanic neighborhoods in Douglasville? really? I didn't live in a Hispanic neighborhood but I passed one every day on my way to work...had to as I drove down Mann Road..and often found a license stop there on the way especially on the weekends...interestingly enough right in front of the entrance to that Hispanic neighborhood.

Forum List

Back