Airplane of the future?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
14293164-7098415-A_stunning_V_shaped_craft_developed_by_researchers_at_Delft_Tech-a-26_1559555278108.jpg

'Flying-V' was developed by the Delft Technical University in the Netherlands and KLM is funding the design

It has the same wingspan as existing planes and is named after the iconic Gibson Flying-V electric guitar

The aircraft would be able to carry up to 314 passengers in the V-shaped layout of the craft its designers claim

Passenger cabin, cargo hold and fuel tanks to be integrated in the design which uses 20 per cent less fuel

14293170-7098415-The_wings_would_host_the_passenger_space_cargo_hold_fuel_tanks_a-a-28_1559555278109.jpg

Amazingly realistic artist concept pictures. I remember a lot of discussion about v-shaped aircraft back when I was a kid in the 40s and 50s. I even saw some of them flying over Los Angeles. But, it’s only been in recent years with far more advanced controls that they’ve become more realistic.

How long until this or similar ones roll out to actually fly?

Many more photos @ 'Flying-V' plane is unveiled which is named after a GUITAR | Daily Mail Online

14293164-7098415-A_stunning_V_shaped_craft_developed_by_researchers_at_Delft_Tech-a-26_1559555278108.jpg

'Flying-V' was developed by the Delft Technical University in the Netherlands and KLM is funding the design

It has the same wingspan as existing planes and is named after the iconic Gibson Flying-V electric guitar

The aircraft would be able to carry up to 314 passengers in the V-shaped layout of the craft its designers claim

Passenger cabin, cargo hold and fuel tanks to be integrated in the design which uses 20 per cent less fuel

14293170-7098415-The_wings_would_host_the_passenger_space_cargo_hold_fuel_tanks_a-a-28_1559555278109.jpg

Amazingly realistic artist concept pictures. I remember a lot of discussion about v-shaped aircraft back when I was a kid in the 40s and 50s. I even saw some of them flying over Los Angeles. But, it’s only been in recent years with far more advanced controls that they’ve become more realistic.

Many more photos @ 'Flying-V' plane is unveiled which is named after a GUITAR | Daily Mail Online

I wonder how much testing the FAA and other government regulators will require for an aerodynamic concept so different from what has been in service (and as such has been through decades of trial and error testing).

It could be reality for quite a time but since civilian planes are required to be able to be flown totally manually, this will probably never come.

It looks to be very aerodynamically unstabe with those engines so high up and far back. It would be difficult to get the nose over.
Maybe the dutch should put down the dope and stick to what they know, dams, levees and dykes.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back