Air France Flight 447 - MISSING (228 feared dead)

Air France 447 - AFR447 - A detailed meteorological analysis - Satellite and weather data

Air France Flight 447:

A detailed meteorological analysis

by Tim Vasquez

* 6/3/09: Added a hypothesized radar image based on thermal signatures of the MCS tops. Updated the mailbag but I haven't yet added all the messages; still working on it. Also still working on the detailed instability study.
* 6/3/09: ATTN MEDIA: I was an Air Force meteorologist and did forecast in equatorial Africa, but I did NOT forecast for Air Force One. I don't know Harrison Ford, either. Thanks.
* 6/3/09: I am preparing to do a more detailed analysis today using a greater range of data to try to get a better handle on storm severity and turbulence possibilities. I'll be posting an update later with results, time permitting.
* 6/2/09: 6 pm CST: Significant updating of the comments -- lots of good feedback! Thank you all. The server has been running a little slow due to the media crush but if things get bogged down we'll be moving it to another server.
* 6/2/09: Add mailbag at end.
* 6/2/09: Updated discussion about hail and other factors, trimmed off speculative material.
* 6/1/09: Updated with new information on instability/soundings.
* 6/1/09: Ocean bottom map at the projected 0215Z crash location; basemap is from Satellite Geodesy at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego -- I can't find precise depth information but it looks to be about 13,000 ft in the Atlantic rift zone. Hoping for the best whether for survivors or a safe CVR recovery!

Air France flight 447 (AF447), an Airbus A330 widebody jet, was reported missing in the equatorial Atlantic Ocean in the early morning hours of June 1, 2009. The plane was enroute from Rio de Janeiro (SBGL) to Paris (LFPG). Speculation suggested that the plane may have flown into a thunderstorm. The objective of this study was to isolate the aircraft's location against high-resolution satellite images from GOES-10 to identify any association with thunderstorm activity. Breakup of a plane at higher altitudes in a thunderstorm is not unprecedented; Northwest Flight 705 in 1963 and more recently Pulkovo Aviation Flight 612 in 2006 are clear examples.
Back in the 1990s I did flight route forecasting for the Air Force. One of my assignments in summer 1994 was forecasting the sector between Mombasa, Kenya and Cairo, Egypt for C-5 and C-141 aircraft. The Sudan region had tropical MCS activity similar to this with little in the way of sensor data, so this incident holds some special interest for me as one of our C-5s could easily have followed a very similar fate. Using what's available to me I decided to do a little analysis and see if I could determine anything about the fate of AF447 and maybe through some circuitous, indirect means help give authorities some clues on where to look.

1. Reports and evidence

Reports indicate AF447 reported INTOL (S01 21.7',W32 49.9' or -1.362,-32.832) at 0133Z and was to proceed to TASIL (N4 00.3',W29 59.4', or +4.005,-29.990) in 50 minutes (a true track of 28.1 deg) (source) indicating that it flew high altitude route UN873 (see below).
af447-route.jpg

Enroute High Altitude Caribbean and South America H-4, 30 AUG 2007 (National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency)

Though the actual flight plan data was not accessible to me, this corresponds well with an actual flight plan found on the Internet for a Varig B767 from Rio de Janeiro to Frankfurt:
(FPL-VRG8744-IS -B763/H-SIRYW/S -SBGL0110 -N0485F290 PCX3 POKA UA314 NUQ/N0475F330 UA314 SVD UZ10 NTL/M080F320 UN873 FEMUR/M080F320 UN873 INTOL/M080F320 UN873 EPODE/N0476F340 UN873 ASEBA/N0475F340 UN873 SAGMA/M080F340 UN873 CVS/M080F360 UN873 LIMAL/N0463F360 UN873 GDV UN858 SUNID/N0454F380 UN858 DGO UN976 PPN/N0457F360 UN976 LATEK UN871 KUDES T163 PSA PSA2W -EDDF1129 LSZH EDDL -EET/SBRE0050 SBAO0309 ORARO0340 GOOO0355 GVSC0518 GCCC0618 GMMM0746 LPPC0836 LECM0848 LFFF0951 LSAS1042 EDUU1059 EDFF1111 RIF/PPN/N0456F390 UN857 BAN BAN2E LEMD RMK/ETOPS UNDER 120 MIN RULE ENROUTE ALTS SBNT GVAC)

I decided to project the flight forward from INTOL. An altitude of FL350 and speed of 520 mph was given. Presumably this is ground speed according to the ACARS specification. Compensating for a 10 kt headwind as given by the SBFN sounding this yields an airspeed of M.80, which correlates well with the A330's typical early cruise profile. This yields the following aircraft coordinates:
TimeCoordinatesDescription 0133Z-1.362,-32.832Reported INTOL 0145Z-0.033,-32.125Extrapolation 0200Z+1.629,-31.242Extrapolation 0215Z+3.290,-30.357Extrapolation 0223Z+4.150,-29.876Estimated TASIL 0230Z+4.951,-29.469Extrapolation

2. Meteorological analysis

Surface analysis showed the suspected crash region to be within the intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ), which at this time of year is usually found at about the 5-10N parallel. A region of strong trade winds covered most of the tropical North Atlantic and this kept the ITCZ in a somewhat southerly position. The linear convergence along the ITCZ and the unstable atmospheric conditions combined to produce scattered clusters of thunderstorms.
af447-sfcanl.gif

Surface analysis for 0000Z. (NCEP)

Using McIDAS I acquired satellite GOES-10 satellite data from UCAR and centered it over the region between INTOL and TASIL. I then plotted the waypoints using McIDAS's built-in coordinate entry panel. Since the source satellite images are georeferenced NOAA/GINI datasets, the points shown here are very accurate and are NOT placed by hand but by lat/long coordinates to the nearest 0.001 deg (0.06 mile). In the image below, the stationary southerly point in blue is INTOL and the aircraft's estimated location from the above table is marked with a cross. Graticule spacing is 5 degrees. For the orange temperature plots I used the NCL/3aw curve; the sharp gradient of the enhancement from dark to light occurs at 243K (-30 deg C), indicating a cloud top of FL310 assuming the satellite pixel is completely overcast with that layer (which is not always true).
Frame Controls Satellite images

buttonsSatP.gif

Loop Mode:
buttonsSatM.gif

Adjust Speed:
buttonsSatS.gif

Dwell First/Last:
buttonsSatD.gif

Frame No:

Omit Frame:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
(Hit reload if you don't see the satellite images in the looper above)

Raw infrared images are also available here: 0145Z, 0200Z, 0215Z, 0230Z.
And finally this image shows a zoomed image at 0215Z when AF447 made its last transmission:

af447-0215-zoom.jpg

About 90% of the cloud material seen on this image is actually multiple levels of convective debris fields from dying storms and activity that occurred previously during the day, with only scattered cirrus fields at flight level. The active thunderstorm areas are defined by small-scale mottled areas of cold cloud tops. Compare with this structural diagram below of a similar tropical MCS in the same area in 1977. It illustrates that planes inflight are clear of most dangerous weather throughout a tropical system except when directly above an active updraft area.

af447-conceptual.jpg

Schematic of a typical tropical MCS observed in the Atlantic southwest of Dakar on 4 Sep 1974. (Structure and Dynamics of a Tropical Squall-Line System, R. A. Houze Jr., Mon. Wea. Rev., 105, 1540-1567)

It appears AF447 crossed through three key thunderstorm clusters: a small one around 0151Z, a new rapidly growing one at about 0159Z, and finally a large multicell convective system (MCS) around 0205-0216Z. Temperature trends suggested that the entire system was at peak intensity, developing rapidly around 2300-0100Z and finally dissipating around dawn. From a turbulence perspective, these cold spots would be the areas of highest concern as they signal the location of an active updraft producing new cloud material in the upper troposphere.
The last communication from the plane was at 0214Z (12:14 am local meridian time). This was an automated ACARS message reporting an electrical fault and pressurization problem. This would be about the time the plane was beginning to exit the cluster, but not before having flown for 75 miles of numerous updrafts. The exact aircraft location cannot be determined with certainty, however, since a 1-minute time error in position or reporting time translates to 9 miles of spatial error.
The Fernando de Noronha sounding is available here and shows typical tropical conditions with modest positive energy throughout the column from the surface up to 45,000 ft. There is what looks like anvil level material above 25,000 ft. The significant dry mid-level air is somewhat unusual and suggests the potential for enhanced evaporational cooling in the upper troposphere enhancing downdraft production, and any synoptic-scale lift (if present) enhancing instability through adiabatic cooling of the layer.
I modified this sounding (see below) using the prevailing temperature/dewpoint field across that part of the ocean and modifying for some cooling due to nighttime loss of heating. This is my best guess at the parcel profile that fed this storm. It yields a worst case instability of 1048 J/kg of CAPE, which is moderately strong but considered borderline for typical severe weather. Vertical velocity can be obtained by w=2*CAPE^0.5 yielding a maximum possible updraft speed contribution of 45.8 m/s or 102 mph, though in reality this is usually much less (on the order of half or less) due to precipitation loading and other factors.

af447-skewmod.gif

Finally here is a new chart posted June 3 showing the hypothesized radar depiction based on careful enhancement of cloud temperature information. This is just an assumption of course but this is the best guess based on my own experience and the satellite signatures available.

af447-radarsim.jpg

3. Conclusions

The satellite imagery indicates that numerous cumulonimbus towers were rising to at least 51,000 ft, and were embedded in extensive stratiform anvils with tops of 35,000 to 45,000 ft. This kind of configuration is actually quite normal for equatorial storms due to the higher tropopause height, but it emphasizes that the aircraft was certainly within the bulk of an extensive cumulonimbus cloud field for a significant amount of time and that storms could indeed have been a contributing factor to the crash.
I've edited this section Monday night to cut down on the speculation about the accident chain, especially since I don't know a whole lot about A330 systems. The airliners.net board and other sites cover the aircraft and CRM systems quite well. What I will try to do, however, is summarize what the aircraft probably encountered based on the data and my own experience.

* Turbulence -- Turbulence is a definite candidate as a contributing factor. There is an isolated storm at (1.6,-31.5) that appears suddenly at 0200Z just as the A330 enters the main MCS cluster. From a turbulence perspective it is by far the most dangerous formation found on the loop. However it is 10-25 km to the left of UN873 and it is doubtful the crew would have been deviating at this time. Other cells like this one embedded within the main MCS may have caused severe turbulence. Young updrafts are particularly dangerous to flights because they contain significant rising motion yet precipitation fields have not yet fully developed and airborne radar signatures are weak, reducing the likelihood the crew will deviate around the cell. Another concern is the extensive upper-level dry air shown on the SBFN sounding (not counting the anvil debris at 350-300 mb), which may have contributed to enhanced evaporative cooling in and around the anvil and aggravated the turbulence experienced by the flight, especially around the margins of anvil clouds and towers. It is worth considering that cumulative periods of heavy turbulence crossing through the cluster may have caused minor internal damage that progressed in some way into an emergency.

* Icing -- With a flight level temperature of -43 deg C suggested by the proximity sounding the A330 would have been flying mostly in rime ice and possibly some clear ice and graupel. At -43 deg C, water cannot exist even in supercooled form (see here for an explanation). The equivalent potential temperature throughout the profile is absolutely insufficient to bring warmer air with supercooled water to flight level. Without the supercooled water there is very little ice buildup on the airframe. My conclusion is that unless the plane descended below FL300 icing would not be the culprit.

* Lightning -- Due to the high cloud tops and freezing level at 16,000 ft, there was extensive precipitation by cold rain process and it is likely the MCS was electrified. Lightning of course being considered with good reason since the A330 is one of the most computerized and automated airliners in service. I will say based on my 25 years of meteorology the storms were almost definitely producing lightning. As far what a strike would do to the A330, I have to leave that to to the avionics experts. Some answers might be found at Aviation Forums | Airliners.net.

* Precipitation -- A dual engine flameout due to precipitation or ice ingestion is a noteworthy possibility as has been discussed on other sites (specific to the A330 type too). The precipitable water content in any tropical weather system can run very high. However a rain-induced flameout is not possible because supercooled water cannot exist at the -43C cruise altitude and insufficient equivalent potential temperature exists, even in updraft cores, to bring warmer air beyond a few degrees change to the flight level. Therefore the plane at FL350 was completely within some mixture of rime ice, graupel, or small hail. But again, as the link indicates, even ice poses risks to the engine.

* Hail -- I got a few comments about hail. I am not entirely convinced that structural hail damage is a factor, partly because I can't recall hearing much about large damaging hail at altitude in my experience with equatorial flight operations. This would require strong instability, which I'm not yet sure we have, not only to grow the stones but to loft large hailstones from the embryo "nursery" at FL200-250 up to flight level. A value of 1000 J/kg CAPE is really on the fence but not out of the question. The other problem is the mounting body of evidence (see SPC studies) suggesting well-sheared storms (this profile is poorly sheared) are the ones conducive to structures that support hail growth. Finally, another issue is airborne radars are be highly sensitive to hail because of the very high backscatter values of ice, making evasive action likely, and the "young updrafts" I pointed out earlier as a threat would not have provided the residence times necessary yet to contain hailstones; their main threat would be severe turbulence. I am not sure about the hail hypothesis, but I believe there is a high probability of graupel, small ice pellets, or small hail at FL350 in the storm complex (see Icing above).

Overall what we know for sure is weather was a factor and the flight definitely crossed through a thunderstorm complex. There is a definite correlation of weather with the crash. However the analysis indicates that the weather is not anything particularly exceptional in terms of instability or storm structure. It's my opinion that tropical storm complexes identical to this one have probably been crossed hundreds of times over the years by other flights without serious incident.
Still, in the main MCS alone, the A330 would have been flying through significant turbulence and thunderstorm activity for about 75 miles (125 km), lasting about 12 minutes of flight time. Of course anything so far is speculation until more evidence comes in, and for all we know the cause of the downing could have been anything from turbulence to coincidental problems like a cargo fire.
My own opinion of the crash cause, as of Monday night, based on the complete lack of a HF radio call and consideration of all of the above, suggests severe turbulence (see the BOAC 911 and BNF 250 tragedies) combining in some unlikely way with CRM/design/maintenance/procedural/other deficiencies to trigger a failure cascade. We can almost certainly count on some unexpected surprises once the CVR is recovered. Until then, all we can do is await the investigation and hope that the world's flight operations stay safe until AFR447's lessons are revealed.

Hey KK - here ya' go, yet something else to dis-prove your idiotic theories about planes crashing from lightning.

Plane struck by lightning lands safely in Calif. - Yahoo! News

OAKLAND, Calif. – A Southwest Airlines plane was struck by lightning but passed a safety inspection after it returned safely to Oakland International Airport.
Airline spokeswoman Marilee McInnis says the pilot turned around the plane after it was struck early Wednesday because the airline has a maintenance hub in Oakland.
She says the 53 passengers aboard Flight 2197 to Burbank, Calif., were booked on the next flight.

McInnis says lightning strikes aren't unusual and planes are built to withstand such a jolt.

An Air France jet on its way to Paris from Brazil crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday after flying into storms. It's unknown what caused its electrical systems and cabin pressure to fail.

French, Brazilians Still On Hunt For Downed Airbus - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio

Debris Found Not From Air France Flight 447

Despite earlier reports, France's transportation minister says no evidence has
been
found of an Air France Airbus A330 airplane that vanished over the
Atlantic.

PARIS -- France's transportation minister said Friday that French forces have found no signs of the Airbus A330 airplane that vanished over the Atlantic and urged "extreme prudence" about suspected debris taken from the ocean.

Dominique Bussereau said he regretted that an announcement by Brazilian teams that they had recovered plane debris from Air France flight 447 turned out to be false.

The Brazilian air force announced Thursday afternoon that a helicopter plucked an airplane cargo pallet from the sea that came the Air France flight, but then said six hours later that it was not from the Airbus.

"French authorities have been saying for several days that we have to be extremely prudent," Bussereau told France's RTL radio. "Our planes and naval ships have seen nothing."

I think we need to put our major cities on alert in case this jet was hijacked and its tracking systems disabled.

Since apparently the downed plane is not Air France 447, why aren't any news reports discussing what plane debris they found might have belonged to? Did I miss that?

Also, how does this now feed into the Burmuda Triangle theories of planes vanishing into thin air? Maybe there are other areas of the deepest parts of the oceans where similar planes have disappeared? Don't know.

Of course my neighbor's kid had his own explanation: Since the series "Lost" has yet to provide it's devotees with a believable ending and next year will be it's final season, maybe the whole thing was made up by Hollywood in order to pique the interest to keep it running. A "wag the dog" scenario. (The kid has a great future in politics!)

Odd if true since no one has taken "credit" for it. Damn terrorists almost always do.

How can they claim responsibility if they're dead?

What are the chances that an Air France flight from Brazil just a few days earlier to this crash had a bomb threat, this was a new, state of the art plane with a veteran crew that knew how to handle thunderstorms from the ITCZ, there were several other planes that passed through the same area as they did and didn't have a problem and now we're finding out that there were two passengers on board that were linked to Islamic terrorism?

Come on, the odds that this was caused by an equipment malfunction or weather are lowering every day we find out more information.

Odd if true since no one has taken "credit" for it. Damn terrorists almost always do.

What are the chances that an Air France flight from Brazil just a few days earlier to this crash had a bomb threat, this was a new, state of the art plane with a veteran crew that knew how to handle thunderstorms from the ITCZ, there were several other planes that passed through the same area as they did and didn't have a problem and now we're finding out that there were two passengers on board that were linked to Islamic terrorism?

Come on, the odds that this was caused by an equipment malfunction or weather are lowering every day we find out more information.

Quit being an idiot. The unnsinkable Titanic went down on it's maiden voyage with no muslim assistance. Take your Jewish bigotry and shove it.

Last edited:

Quit being an idiot. The unnsinkable Titanic when down on it's maiden voyage with no muslim assistance. Take your Jewish bigotry and shove it.

:cuckoo:

Quit being an idiot. The unnsinkable Titanic when down on it's maiden voyage with no muslim assistance. Take your Jewish bigotry and shove it.

:cuckoo:

I know you would love to have another thing to pin on Muslims but the truth is that you are GUESSING. How many Jews were aboard, David ?

What's wrong with you people??

Did you not read the first line??

Two passengers with names linked to Islamic terrorism were on the Air France flight which crashed with the loss of 228 lives, it has emerged.

Just like passengers on planes with people linked to Islamic terrorism were on planes on 9/11.

What's wrong with you people??

Did you not read the first line??

Two passengers with names linked to Islamic terrorism were on the Air France flight which crashed with the loss of 228 lives, it has emerged.

Just like passengers on planes with people linked to Islamic terrorism were on planes on 9/11.

yep, like i said, a mossad assassination. fuck the innocents, we gotta get them ay-rabs.

Well, I certainly hope you get on a plane with a bunch of Muslims who are on the do-not fly list with your children and see what happens. Yeah, "mechanical failure." Yeah, "lightning" struck the plane and knocked it out of the sky. Meanwhile, in the past two minutes that it's taken me to write this post, over one dozen planes have been struck by lightning. Oh wait, none of them have crashed!!

Well, I certainly hope you get on a plane with a bunch of Muslims who are on the do-not fly list with your children and see what happens. Yeah, "mechanical failure." Yeah, "lightning" struck the plane and knocked it out of the sky. Meanwhile, in the past two minutes that it's taken me to write this post, over one dozen planes have been struck by lightning. Oh wait, none of them have crashed!!

none of them were targeted by mossad. simple, really.

when are you heading off to the IDF again, doveleh?

And you guys thought this was a non-story. An Airbus A-330 with a veteran crew does NOT crash in the middle of the Atlantic. This was a relatively new craft with a flawless service record. A modern jet like this just doesn't crash. It has mechanical problems, the pilots report the problems, it tries to make its way back and then if it can't, it crashes. This was VERY sudden. This has been my theory for days. Now THIS.

Bomb threat on Air France flight | Momento 24

3 days later, the same jet crashed into the ocean. Coincidence? I think not. This was a case of terrorism in the highest regards.

Funny how conspiracy nutz like EOTS, Sealybobo, Terral, 9/11 Inside Job, Huggy etc who believe anything as long as the US or the Jews are the culprits, but when a legit conspiracy involving a terrorist attack by Muslims comes about they dismiss it!

You hit the nail on the head, planes like this don't just fall from the sky. This is a very fishy story. It had to be terrorism! Who doesn't like the French right now? Their highly disenchanted large Muslim minority!

Lightning storm is the standing and very feasible theory.

Jeez modern technology can predict storms and they could have easily just went around it. Second, have you never been in a plan during a thunder storm. Its not that big of a deal. Third, planes can fly well above the clouds!

Lightning storm is the standing and very feasible theory.

Do you think for a second a modern jetliner with over 200 people traveling thousands of miles would be brought down by lightning?

Impossible. Absolutely impossible.

DavidS...do you have a brother named eot?

No EOTS won't subscibe to this legit conspiracy theory, because neither the US or the Jews are involved, rather its about muslims!

Forum List

Back