Air Force Thunderbirds too male, too white, top general warns

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
The Air Force’s vaunted Thunderbirds jet fighter aerobatics team is not diverse enough inside the cockpit.

Brig. Gen. Christopher M. Short, commander of the 57th Wing at NellisAir Force Base, Nevada, said in an email last month that of 15 pilot applicants for three openings, 14 are white.

He asked fighter wing commanders to stir up more candidates who “don’t necessarily look like each of you.” He bemoaned the fact that, not only is there a lack of diversity, but the number of applicants to make the world-famous team has taken a puzzling drop in the past two years.

“I am asking for your help in finding the right pilots for next year’s Thunderbirds team,” is how Gen. Short begins his email.

“While we have several qualified candidates that many of you submitted, I am lacking the depth in talent we’ve seen in previous years and I am lacking in diversity of gender, ethnicity and [aircraft type] background,”Gen. Short wrote.
Air Force Thunderbirds prioritize diversity in cockpit amid puzzling decline in applicants
----------------------------------------------------

Just another reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday.

Yeah let's lower the standards on everything now.

The Thunderbirds, Blue Angels etc are for the best of the best they are a pure meritocracy

If you want in then fucking earn it
who said anything about lowering standards?

wtf is wrong with you?

The Thunderbirds, Blue Angels etc are for the best of the best they are a pure meritocracy

wtf is wrong with you?
Cut the shit the implication of saying anything about race is that diversity should trump ability

wtf is wrong with you?
Cut the shit the implication of saying anything about race is that diversity should trump ability
you cut the shit. that is not the implication at all. the implication is they want a diverse group for their recruiting tool. anything else is your imagination.

Yeah, if I'm a highly trained Thunderbird pilot I'm gonna feel real safe flying a tight formation or during tricky maneuvers knowing one of the team's new members got their seat because they're not white or male.
so you think they're going to choose unqualified people?

Yeah, if I'm a highly trained Thunderbird pilot I'm gonna feel real safe flying a tight formation or during tricky maneuvers knowing one of the team's new members got their seat because they're not white or male.
Not unqualified...just less than the best...in a job that demands the best.

the actual job demands diversity. and you're making an assumption that white males would be the best

the actual job demands diversity. and you're making an assumption that white males would be the best
The facts are that you have to be able to fly the airplane...not that you look good in a flight suit.

Affirmative action placed thousands of unqualified people in positions they never EARNED, from fire fighters to teachers.

Placing diversity over quality and merit is sheer stupidity.

The facts are that you have to be able to fly the airplane...not that you look good in a flight suit.
so what's the problem in looking for more diverse applicants?

remember, the team is a recruiting tool first and foremost

Well, obviously if there are too many whites, we need to attract more PC-correct "colors" and tell some whites who deserve to be there to go fuck themselves.

If that doesn't work, let's just make it easier to get in by lowering standards, just tell them what they want to hear and get them in the freakin' cockpit.

This is America. We're all about skin color.

The problem here isn't necessarily that people are getting pushed through who aren't, it's that the education system in the US isn't fair. I don't mean fair in the sort of typical liberal meaning of everyone should have the same education, no matter their intelligence, I mean fair in the poor people are often getting much worse education than richer people, even within the public school system.

I have no problem with people paying for private school on top of paying their taxes which goes to public schools, but I do have a problem with the inequality within public schools, and the lack of resolve to deal with problems that affect poor people in the first place.

you cut the shit. that is not the implication at all. the implication is they want a diverse group for their recruiting tool. anything else is your imagination.
Recruiting tools are available from the advertising/movie industry...

Forum List

Back