agrisolar

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Solar has the advantage of being able to use the land that generates the electricity for other uses, be it residential or agriculture;

If we covered 1% of the agricultural land in the US with panels, we could supply most of our energy needs from the solar.

Solar has the advantage of being able to use the land that generates the electricity for other uses, be it residential or agriculture;

I can't think of a better way to usher in a 3,000 meter thick sheet of ice over parts of NA, Europe and Asia than widespread use of solar.

If we covered 1% of the agricultural land in the US with panels, we could supply most of our energy needs from the solar.

Our croplands don't use that much electricity ... seems pointless to generate it out there ... this exact thing is done in cities, roofs and carports ... where the electricity is needed ...

You'll need to explain how solar provides "most of our energy needs" at night ... I think you're mistaken there ...

Our croplands don't use that much electricity ... seems pointless to generate it out there ... this exact thing is done in cities, roofs and carports ... where the electricity is needed ...

You'll need to explain how solar provides "most of our energy needs" at night ... I think you're mistaken there ...

The fool has already stated we can live on Wind and Solar, which will produce massive problems.

I question his sanity now since he has been over the top promoting low mass intermittent power generation, Wind and Solar.

:cuckoo:

The fool has already stated we can live on Wind and Solar, which will produce massive problems.

I question his sanity now since he has been over the top promoting low mass intermittent power generation, Wind and Solar.

You and I both live off Wind/Solar/Hydro ... and have all our lives ... and yeah, 2/3's of the Columbia River watershed is devoid of sea-run salmon because of Grand Coulee Dam ... the Dalles was submerged ... they turn off Niagara Falls at around 10 pm every night ...

You missed his mistake completely ... if we cover our croplands with solar panels ... we won't be able to grow crops there anymore ... however, if we put solar panels up on our roofs, the roofs will still shed water ... less problems than strip mining coal ...

You and I both live off Wind/Solar/Hydro ... and have all our lives ... and yeah, 2/3's of the Columbia River watershed is devoid of sea-run salmon because of Grand Coulee Dam ... the Dalles was submerged ... they turn off Niagara Falls at around 10 pm every night ...

You missed his mistake completely ... if we cover our croplands with solar panels ... we won't be able to grow crops there anymore ... however, if we put solar panels up on our roofs, the roofs will still shed water ... less problems than strip mining coal ...

HUH?

The Columbia region worked without Solar and Wind for decades without problems, now after a lot of Wind power generators were installed the government FORCED B-PUD to make them priority over hydro and Nuclear when they are getting the wind, but a few years or so ago B-PUD said NO more will they do that as it is a pain in the ass and after near shutdowns due to long known instability to wind power fluctuations, now they run the system the best way to maintain it without the fluctuations being the problem.

Yes there is a cost in damming up the Columbia river, have seen every single dam, even the headwaters of the Columbia at Lake Louise. The Salmon and other fish are far fewer in number and size, I know about Celio Falls and other drowned areas too.

The solar of the roofs do not produce the necessary power to support the 100-200 amp Electrical Breaker panel, it is at best supplementary power.

Old rocks writes:

If we covered 1% of the agricultural land in the US with panels

It wasn't worth my reply since it is negligible just 1%, you can get upset over it if you want, but the suggestion will never happen because it is absurd.

He wants ALL "fossil fuels" replaced by wind and solar, did you miss that?

HUH?

The Columbia region worked without Solar and Wind for decades without problems, now after a lot of Wind power generators were installed the government FORCED B-PUD to make them priority over hydro and Nuclear when they are getting the wind, but a few years or so ago B-PUD said NO more will they do that as it is a pain in the ass and after near shutdowns due to long known instability to wind power fluctuations, now they run the system the best way to maintain it without the fluctuations being the problem.

Yes there is a cost in damming up the Columbia river, have seen every single dam, even the headwaters of the Columbia at Lake Louise. The Salmon and other fish are far fewer in number and size, I know about Celio Falls and other drowned areas too.

The solar of the roofs do not produce the necessary power to support the 100-200 amp Electrical Breaker panel, it is at best supplementary power.

Old rocks writes:

It wasn't worth my reply since it is negligible just 1%, you can get upset over it if you want, but the suggestion will never happen because it is absurd.

You are correct, I want all nuclear and fossil fuel generations replaced by renewables. With grid scale storage. Which can be gravity, liquid air, battery, pumped hydro, ect. We can power our nation in completely clean energy if we choose to do so. But idiots like you choose to continue to pollute. Wind and solar cost less and, combined with grid scale storage, perform better than fossil fuels or nuclear.

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

You are correct, I want all nuclear and fossil fuel generations replaced by renewables. With grid scale storage. Which can be gravity, liquid air, battery, pumped hydro, ect. We can power our nation in completely clean energy if we choose to do so. But idiots like you choose to continue to pollute. Wind and solar cost less and, combined with grid scale storage, perform better than fossil fuels or nuclear.
CO2 isn't pollution. It's a vital component of the carbon cycle upon which all life on the planet depends upon.

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

The Columbia region worked without Solar and Wind for decades without problems

So what? ... hydro's renewable ... and constant, no reservoirs needs ... the reservoirs in your area are for irrigation ... downstream, those are strictly "run-of-the-river" hydropower and navigation ...

Blinded by your own prejudice ... tell me not one single housewife ever put laundry up on a line to dry ... no one ever plants deciduous trees to the south and west of their homes ... God forbid anyone riding a bicycle ... all things you claim never happen on the Columbia Plateau ... or perhaps you're clueless as to what Old Rocks and I are advocating ...

I realize you believe in magical crude oil bubbling up from the mantle and that we have an inexhaustible supply ... but science largly dismisses that as an adequite supply for human energy production ... sorry ... We NEED all fossil fuels replaced by wind, solar, hydro, nuclear ... or we go without energy except what our backs can provide ... from food grown with solar energy ...

Of course ... "conservation" is still a dirty word ... how dare I ask you to use less energy ... everyone bristles at losing the A/C's ...

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

Germany was the lead country in the experiment Old Stones is suggesting. Here is this week's update from Germany:

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

So what? ... hydro's renewable ... and constant, no reservoirs needs ... the reservoirs in your area are for irrigation ... downstream, those are strictly "run-of-the-river" hydropower and navigation ...

Blinded by your own prejudice ... tell me not one single housewife ever put laundry up on a line to dry ... no one ever plants deciduous trees to the south and west of their homes ... God forbid anyone riding a bicycle ... all things you claim never happen on the Columbia Plateau ... or perhaps you're clueless as to what Old Rocks and I are advocating ...

I realize you believe in magical crude oil bubbling up from the mantle and that we have an inexhaustible supply ... but science largly dismisses that as an adequite supply for human energy production ... sorry ... We NEED all fossil fuels replaced by wind, solar, hydro, nuclear ... or we go without energy except what our backs can provide ... from food grown with solar energy ...

Of course ... "conservation" is still a dirty word ... how dare I ask you to use less energy ... everyone bristles at losing the A/C's ...

:auiqs.jpg:

Where did I say no to Wind, solar power?

Where did I say Conservation is a bad practice?

Where did I say oil supply is endless?

I have for YEARS said our homes are poorly designed and too big, they guzzle power, why aren't they using passive solar heating, berm houses, passive heating and cooling sets ups and similar designs that would greatly reduce energy consumption?

They also need to greatly reduce the overused street lights, they turn night into day not realizing it is damaging to the life of the planet, it is sheer waste of power.

I have for years supported Nuclear power increase, have one right in my region that is working well. There is an unfinished second plant that could be built to help replace coal, oil used for heating.

Hydro construction is nearly maxed out in the best areas now, while it is getting pressure to tear down some of the hydro based dams in the Northwest. They also often are the main component of "renewable" energy source for the region.

Meanwhile you are full of shit when you write this stupid attack on me:

I have a clothe line I built in the back yard, there is a huge blanket on it right now being dried, I use a SWAMP cooler even when it reaches 80 degrees in the house when it reach 100 F outside, despite that I have Central A/C unit that runs fine but don't use at all, I have a 1990 $325 Bicycle in my back yard.

I never made such claims that it never happens in the Columbia Basin, you are now LYING.

I have always opposed low mass Wind and Solar (that runs only part time and unreliable) replacing high mass power that is reliable and run 24/7, Solar doesn't work at night and Wind doesn't work when there is no wind. Never oppose it for "supplementary" power use and for regions where there is no connection for power.

It is pure stupidity to say Wind and Solar are "clean" energy which is a bald faced lie, they require a lot of materials that damage the environment and a lot of it is isn't recyclable at all, why are you being this stupid and making dumb lies?

No power producing source is really clean or free of weaknesses, but rational planning wouldn't use intermittent unreliable power sources as the baseload it would be a disaster, you MUST have 24/7 power production online to keep up the stability of the grid.

You write this misleading bullshite:

Actually most of the Columbia river from Grand Coulee are used interchangeably for Power production, Navigation, irrigation, and Recreation. I have been all over the Columbia from the Canadian border to Mc Nary dam that is just 33 miles south of my house, I see all four being used in every reservoir behind the dam.

You are getting dumber lately, what happened?

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

I have for YEARS said our homes are poorly designed and too big, they guzzle power, why aren't they using passive solar heating, berm houses, passive heating and cooling sets ups and similar designs that would greatly reduce energy consumption?

They also need to greatly reduce the overused street lights, they turn night into day not realizing it is damaging to the life of the planet, it is sheer waste of power.

I have for years supported Nuclear power increase, have one right in my region that is working well. There is an unfinished second plant that could be built to help replace coal, oil used for heating.

Hydro construction is nearly maxed out in the best areas now, while it is getting pressure to tear down some of the hydro based dams in the Northwest. They also often are the main component of "renewable" energy source for the region.

I have a clothe line I built in the back yard, there is a huge blanket on it right now being dried, I use a SWAMP cooler even when it reaches 80 degrees in the house when it reach 100 F outside, despite that I have Central A/C unit that runs fine but don't use at all, I have a 1990 $325 Bicycle in my back yard.

I never made such claims that it never happens in the Columbia Basin, you are now LYING.

I have always opposed low mass Wind and Solar (that runs only part time and unreliable) replacing high mass power that is reliable and run 24/7, Solar doesn't work at night and Wind doesn't work when there is no wind. Never oppose it for "supplementary" power use and for regions where there is no connection for power.

It is pure stupidity to say Wind and Solar are "clean" energy which is a bald faced lie, they require a lot of materials that damage the environment and a lot of it is isn't recyclable at all, why are you being this stupid and making dumb lies?

No power producing source is really clean or free of weaknesses, but rational planning wouldn't use intermittent unreliable power sources as the baseload it would be a disaster, you MUST have 24/7 power production online to keep up the stability of the grid.

Actually most of the Columbia river from Grand Coulee are used interchangeably for Power production, Navigation, irrigation, and Recreation. I have been all over the Columbia from the Canadian border to Mc Nary dam that is just 33 miles south of my house, I see all four being used in every reservoir behind the dam.

Your post #7:

Who's the liar now? ...

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

CO2 isn't pollution. It's a vital component of the carbon cycle upon which all life on the planet depends upon.
he can't live without it and he wants it exterminated.

I can't think of a better way to usher in a 3,000 meter thick sheet of ice over parts of NA, Europe and Asia than widespread use of solar.

1624674643926.png

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

China is generating 4 GW right now from agrisolar. You are one dumb asss.

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

Your post #7:

Who's the liar now? ...

Now I know you have serious problems because this is what YOU wrote that I replied to:

my reply was: "I never made such claims that it never happens in the Columbia Basin, you are now LYING."

You having a bad time at home or something, you are so far off the mark here.

=====

Meanwhile this is what YOU originally replied to my statement:

Stop digging the hole you are in......,

Meanwhile ReinyDays ignored my questions completely:

Maybe I didn't say it after all?

HUH?

Old rocks writes:

China is generating 4 GW right now from agrisolar. You are one dumb asss.
It appears you couldn't address my actual words, just throw in China in your desperate attempt to deflect....

Forum List

Back