Again, Why Do We Pay Federal Taxes?

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
My first house was a USDA-FMHA home and I enjoyed the ability to stay in my house when I needed two surgeries without financial disaster.

There’s obviously no link between revenue and spending.
Biden administration offers new aid for mortgage borrowers at risk of foreclosure due to COVID-19 pandemic

It's so that politicians can redistribute our hard-earned money in exchange for votes, of course.

Biden administration offers new aid for mortgage borrowers at risk of foreclosure due to COVID-19 pandemic

The link that has developed is between spending and buying votes.

One can only wonder if term limits would end that.

I had a govt. backed home 1986-2001 and when you need a moratorium due to surgery it was nice to have a break...They gave it to me because I voted for Reagan.

Probably has something to do with providing for a common defense and promoting the general welfare?

Because if we didn't, the Stars and Bars would be flying overhead and the darkies would still be on the plantation?
( oh... wait... sorry... Orange Kool-Aid Drinkers wouldn't mind seeing that, in large part, right? silly of me )

Because if we didn't, your kids would be speaking Spanish or German or Russian or Japanese or Chinese or Arabic by now?

Last edited:
Probably has something to do with providing for a common defense and promoting the general welfare?

Because if we didn't, the Stars and Bars would be flying overhead and the darkies would still be on the plantation?
( oh... wait... sorry... Orange Kool-Aid Drinkers wouldn't mind seeing that, in large part, right? silly of me )

Because if we didn't, your kids would be speaking Spanish or German or Russian or Japanese or Chinese or Arabic by now?
What’s military spending have to do with revenue? Are you saying the only thing related to revenue is military, the other five trillion is just Willy Nilly spending?

What’s military spending have to do with revenue? Are you saying the only thing related to revenue is military, the other five trillion is just Willy Nilly spending?
  1. Article I, section 8, clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;….
    1. Hamilton’s view was that this clause gave Congress the power to tax and spend for the general welfare, whatsoever they decide that might be.
    2. William Drayton, in 1828, came down on the side of Madison, Jefferson and others, pointing out that if Hamilton was correct, what point would there have been to enumerate Congresses’ other powers? If Congress wished to do anything it was not authorized to do, it could accomplish it via taxing and spending. He said, "If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money?" 'Charity Not a Proper Function of the American Government' by Walter E. Williams
    3. According to James Madison, the clause authorized Congress to spend money, but only to carryout the powers and duties specifically enumerated in the subsequent clauses of Article I, Section 8,and elsewhere in the Constitution, not to meet the seemingly infinite needs of the general welfare. Alexander Hamilton maintained that the clause granted Congress the power to spend without limitation for the general welfare of the nation. The winner of this debate was not declared for 150years. General Welfare

1. Hamilton’s view was that this clause gave Congress the power to tax and spend for the general welfare, whatsoever they decide that might be.
  2. William Drayton, in 1828, came down on the side of Madison, Jefferson and others, pointing out that if Hamilton was correct, what point would there have been to enumerate Congresses’ other powers? If Congress wished to do anything it was not authorized to do, it could accomplish it via taxing and spending. He said, "If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money?"
The enumerated powers are a no-brainer. The whole idea of the constitution was to list what the government can do, and can't do. Specific powers only serve to give congress clear unquestionable authority that can't be questioned.

"General Welfare" can, and has been challenged in court, where post roads and post offices have not been.

1. Article I, section 8, clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;….
    2. William Drayton, in 1828, came down on the side of Madison, Jefferson and others, pointing out that if Hamilton was correct, what point would there have been to enumerate Congresses’ other powers? If Congress wished to do anything it was not authorized to do, it could accomplish it via taxing and spending. He said, "If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money?" 'Charity Not a Proper Function of the American Government' by Walter E. Williams
    3. According to James Madison, the clause authorized Congress to spend money, but only to carryout the powers and duties specifically enumerated in the subsequent clauses of Article I, Section 8,and elsewhere in the Constitution, not to meet the seemingly infinite needs of the general welfare. Alexander Hamilton maintained that the clause granted Congress the power to spend without limitation for the general welfare of the nation. The winner of this debate was not declared for 150years. General Welfare
Those people are dead and therefore irrelevant.
At least that’s the Leftist POV.

If you didn't notice in a document call The Constitution it tells the govt. that they can levy taxes.
The Federal Reserve Act and the Federal Income Tax were enacted in 1913. The rules of the Federal Income Tax stated that we were supposed to pay our Federal Taxes every three months. The Federal Tax was very low to start. Some years later the government started to do us all a favor and take the taxes our for us every paycheck. This was challenged and it was right to do so. But the corrupted judges at the time said they could. The real reason is that people may not pay those taxes if they had to send it in. The Feds now have many many different type of taxes and fees. There are people who believe any Federal Taxes illegal. What we had a revolution for. But state, local and city taxes are legit.

Forum List

Back