Advise British TV series to watch

Ringo

Gold Member
Jun 14, 2021
Over there
There are a huge number of English TV series on this site. Tell me interesting TV shows to watch. Of course, except for those well known as Fawlty towers, Are you being served, Only fools and horses and so. Thank you

As far as I am concerned, the one ultimate British contribution to television was a wonderful, quirky series from the 1960s, called The Avengers (not to be confused with the Marvel comic book usurpers who have wrongfully appropriated that name, not one of which, nor all of them combined, are worthy to clean John Steed's shoes).

A quick search of that site has failed to find the original The Avengers, but they do have the later follow-up series The New Avengers.

Alas, they also have that horrible attempt to make a movie based on the original The Avengers. The most remarkable thing about that awful movie was Uma Thurman's attempt at playing Emma Peel. Uma Thurman is a good actress, and Emma Peel should have been well within her range. It comes across that she apparently had no clue what personality to give the character, so she played the role with no personality at all.

In this intro to the original show, Diana Rigg puts mor personality into that one smirk right after she shoots the cork off of a bottle of Champaign, than Uma Thurman put into the entire abomination of a movie.

"Heil Honey, I'm Home"

Hitler and Eva Braun live next door to a Jewish couple...

MV5BODAxMmNkN2QtODNkNy00NzJjLTgwNTctZTdhZTgwNzc4ZjEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ0NjMyOA@@._V1_.jpg

Also,

"The Office" -- originally a British series

"Sherlock" -- modern day Sherlock Holmes and Watson

"The Crown" -- historical drama about the British Royal Family

"Peaky Blinders" -- "Boardwalk Empire", in England

"Doctor Who" -- the world's longest running sci fi series

"The New Statesman" -- political satire comedy about England's more conservative MP, Alan B'stard.

"Friday Night Dinner" -- the ongoing saga a Jewish family with two grown sons who get together every Friday night for Shabbos dinner.

"The Inbetweeners" -- four incredibly awkward teen boys getting ready to graduate from England's worst secondary school

Another good old British TV show was The Prisoner.

An odd coincidence is that between the time my wife and I ordered a complete DVD set of that series, and the time it arrived, was when Patrick McGoohan passed away. He was the star, the producer, pretty much the whole creative force behind The Prisoner, it was his greatest work; and it was while we were waiting for the DVD set that we ordered of it, that he died.

"The Prisoner" -- a former secret agent wakes up on an unknown island as part of the community known as "The Village". His name has been taken away and he is now only called "Number Six". Each episode he tries to escape the island then they try to get information out of him.

"Top Gear" -- the absolutely best show ever about cars (and car related topics).

"The IT Crowd" -- the ongoing antics of the worst tech support team ever

"Good Omens" -- a limited run (eight episodes) about an Angel and a Demon who team up to stop Armageddon.

"Life on Mars" -- a British detective is seriously injured and wakes up in 1973. Absolutely nothing in the show about Mars

"Spaced" -- several very awkward 20 somethings in a run down apartment building -- starring a pre-fame Nick Frost and Simon Pegg

"Blackadder" -- four seasons, each taking place in a different historical era, with the same recurring characters.

"Black Mirror" -- each episode is a stand alone show with one thing in common, the pitfalls of our ever-increasing technology.

Black Adder and original The Office come to mind, Fleabag is not bad

I like Grantchester for my light touch murder fix other than the seasons are so short. I recently rewatched the bodyguard which is a 1 season series focused on the home secretary and her bodyguard which is literally about all I can say without spoiling it other than it falls in action, adventure, suspense, drama areas.

New Tricks--3 retired policemen are called on to form a new division to solve cold cases.

One of my favorites is "Goodnight Sweetheart." About a man who could walk from London in the 1990s to London during the Blitz. A wonderful series

Forum List

Back