Adam Kinzinger the ‘homeless Republican’ launches ad campaign against extremism

remember all the right-wing hysteria around Obamacare?

what happened to my party?

from the article:

"McConnell later said he came away believing that the debt limit, which underlies the financial well-being of the country, was 'a hostage that's worth ransoming.'" Other GOPs came away believing it's a "hostage worth shooting."

Over the one hundred and sixty years of their history, Republicans have swung from one pole to another: sometimes they have been leftists, sometimes reactionaries. Today, once again, the Republican Party has positioned itself on the far right. How did the Republican Party—the party of Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Dwight D. Eisenhower—become the party of today?

I'll tell you what happened...

During the American Revolution, Daniel Boone crossed the Appalachian Mountains to explore the land to the west of Virginia and returned with stories of “Kentucke,” a land abundant in natural resources. As soon as the war ended, Americans rushed to lay claim to the region’s riches. Once there, they quickly discovered that equality was not the inevitable result of economic freedom. Some men settled on better land than others; some had family money; some were just lucky, and quickly, those men accumulated more than others.

This rapid stratification of wealth revealed that the disparity between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution made America’s new democracy inherently unstable. Along with their wealth, Kentucky’s landowners gained political power, which they used to secure legislation that promoted their interests at the expense of poorer settlers. They justified their actions with the Constitution’s mandate that property must be protected. Wealthy men came to control government by working with lawmakers who shared their values and influencing voters by buying the channels through which they got information. Gradually, the laws they put in place circumscribed other men’s ability to rise, and wealth moved upward. Equality of opportunity faltered.

As soon as national legislators saw what was happening in Kentucky, they tried to address the disparity between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. In 1787, when the Articles of Confederation were still in force, the congress assembled under that document passed the Northwest Ordinance, which was designed to prevent wealthy men from dominating the new western lands. The measure outlawed both primogeniture and slavery, systems that the men who wrote the Northwest Ordinance—including Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence—believed were instrumental in concentrating wealth. Over the next fifty years, as a handful of wealthy slave owners tightened a stranglehold on the South, it remained possible for poor men to rise in the northern lands protected by the Northwest Ordinance. By the 1850s, as the grandsons of America’s Founding Fathers came of age, the contrast between protection of property in the South and opportunity in the North was stark.

remember all the right-wing hysteria around Obamacare?

The peasants are paying for it. All of the impoverished now have peasant sugar daddies directly. Drive through a ghetto and listen to the never-ending ambulances and first responders and all free to the free hospital.

Forum List

Back