Adam Kinzinger the ‘homeless Republican’ launches ad campaign against extremism

• Banned
In 1862, in the midst of the Civil War, Republican Justin Smith Morrill stood up in Congress to defend his party’s novel invention: an income tax. The government had the right to demand 99 percent of a man’s property, Morrill thundered. If the nation needed it, “the property of the people . . . belongs to the government.” The Republican Congress passed the income tax—as well as a spate of other taxes—and went on to create a strong national government. By the time the war ended three years later, the Republicans had fielded an army and navy of more than 2.5 million men; had invented national banking, currency, and taxation; had provided schools and homes for poor Americans; and had freed the country’s four million slaves.

what happened to my party? WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PARTY?

In 1862, in the midst of the Civil War, Republican Justin Smith Morrill stood up in Congress to defend his party’s novel invention: an income tax. The government had the right to demand 99 percent of a man’s property, Morrill thundered. If the nation needed it, “the property of the people . . . belongs to the government.” The Republican Congress passed the income tax—as well as a spate of other taxes—and went on to create a strong national government. By the time the war ended three years later, the Republicans had fielded an army and navy of more than 2.5 million men; had invented national banking, currency, and taxation; had provided schools and homes for poor Americans; and had freed the country’s four million slaves.

They enacted a temporary fiat currency for war. Greenbacks or such. We were still under the gold standard and wars had to be voted on.

• Banned
when corporations dominated the economy and their millionaire owners threw their weight into political contests, Republican Theodore Roosevelt fulminated against that “small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power.” Insisting that America must break up this class in order to return to “an economic system under which each man shall be guaranteed the opportunity to show the best that there is in him,” Roosevelt called for government to regulate business, prohibit corporate funding of political campaigns, and impose income and inheritance taxes. He demanded a “square deal” for the American people.

• Banned
In the mid-twentieth century, Republican president Dwight Eisenhower reiterated the earlier Republican calls for economic opportunity and applied them on an international scale. Believing that economic inequality bred war and that in the nuclear age war threatened humanity itself, Eisenhower sought to prevent international conflict by raising standards of living everywhere. He recoiled from using American resources to build weapons alone, warning, “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” He called for government funding for schools, power plants, roads, and hospitals

join me in this effort, join Adam in this effort, join Governor Sununu in this effort, join The Lincoln Project in this effort, and let's root out extremism in politics once and for all

Ventura.jpg

in a 2015 Vox poll, six years after the 2009 Sarah Palin "death panels" facebook post, 30% of Republicans STILL believed Obamacare contains death panels

Funny how "extremism" isn't defined, just assumed. If anything we need to reject lazy do-nothing officials who have no strong political beliefs and are out to make a buck off a book deal.
both sides have extremists in their ranks. i'm focused on the right wing right now. i'll happily start a thread about leftists like AOC later on

in a 2015 Vox poll, six years after the 2009 Sarah Palin "death panels" facebook post, 30% of Republicans STILL believed Obamacare contains death panels

All insurance contains "death panels". No coverage will cover everything endlessly. Nor should it.

Leftist peckerhead snobbery in full bloom.
Not snobbish. Do you know how misinformed these people are by Fox News? So many know only what they hear on Fox. And there were still enough of us, thanks Chicago, for the state to swing to Biden. Where I live, it's Alabama.

Forum List

Back