Acquitted. Reported acquitted after officer destroys evidence.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
A jury acquitted Des Moines Register reporter Andrea Sahouri today of two misdemeanor charges stemming from her coverage of protests last year in a case closely watched by press freedom advocates.

Iowa Reporter Acquitted After Being Arrested While Covering George Floyd Protests

The arresting officer, Luke Wilson, testified that he was clearing a street of an unruly mob and wasn't aware that Sahouri was a reporter. Sahouri was not wearing a press badge. However, Sahouri and other journalists who were on the scene sharply disputed the police account of her arrest.

"I see an officer coming at me, so immediately I put up my hands and I say 'I'm press' because he was coming like, right at me, and I didn't think it was a good idea to run from officers," Sahouri testified during her trial. "He grabbed me, he pepper-sprayed me and as he was doing so said, 'That's not what I asked.'"

Body camera footage could have cleared this up, but, after a judge ordered prosecutors to produce the video, it was revealed that Wilson did not save the footage of Sahouri's arrest and did not report it to his supervising officer, as department rules required.

Two points here. First is why was he not fired for destroying evidence and not reporting this as he is required to do?

Second, police officers used to have their word taken as gospel in court. That has changed. With the proliferation of video it's been proven to most people that their word can't simply be taken without question.

Last edited:
Two points here. First is why was he not fired for destroying evidence and not reporting this as he is required to do?
Devils advocate. Did he destroy evidence or did he not take any? Not saving the video could mean he didn't take any... It's too open a statement. It's early, I have to go to work... So I can't do the normal diligence on this.

Not reporting it... That's on him.

Second, police officers used to have their word taken as gospel in court. That has changed. With the proliferation of video it's been proven to most people that their word can't simply be taken without question.
Well that's dumb. You shouldn't take ANYONE's word as gospel. But that's a personal opinion of mine. I like the idea of body cameras.

I would like to say that saying "I'm press" means nothing. If I was a protester, I would do the same thing to stop being roughed up. If you are told to get out of the road, get out of the fuck'n road.

Devils advocate. Did he destroy evidence or did he not take any? Not saving the video could mean he didn't take any... It's too open a statement. It's early, I have to go to work... So I can't do the normal diligence on this.

Body camera footage could have cleared this up, but, after a judge ordered prosecutors to produce the video, it was revealed that Wilson did not save the footage of Sahouri's arrest

Did not save. That means it was there but he didn't save it.

Body camera footage could have cleared this up, but, after a judge ordered prosecutors to produce the video, it was revealed that Wilson did not save the footage of Sahouri's arrest

No it doesn't. It COULD mean that. It could also mean that the camera wasn't on, so it didn't save. You can't expect actual factual media anymore.

No it doesn't. It COULD mean that. It could also mean that the camera wasn't on, so it didn't save. You can't expect actual factual media anymore.

If you say so. He destroyed the evidence. Even if he simply did not turn it on as required, he should be fired.

If you say so. He destroyed the evidence.

His point about the media is valid.

Sahouri was not wearing a press badge.
I don't like press badges any more than I like law enforcement badges.
Barring an actual warrant issued by a judge from the bench in court, law enforcement officers and fourth-estate mainstream media hacks don't have any more provilieges under the Constitution than you or I or anyone else to encroach on other people's property or infringe their rights.

Sahouri was not wearing a press badge.
I don't like press badges any more than I like law enforcement badges.
Barring an actual warrant issued by a judge from the bench in court, law enforcement officers and fourth-estate mainstream media hacks don't have any more provilieges under the Constitution than you or I or anyone else to encroach on other people's property or infringe their rights.

I believe she was in public space.

Reporters count as people when police order mobs to disperse. If she was standing there, and not dispersing, then arresting her was valid.

No they don’t.

The press has an obligation to monitor police actions and report on abuses of power

Disbursing the press is an invitation to abuse

Reporters who are part of a mob, that is told to disperse, have a legal duty to disperse. If not they are subject to arrest.

Reporters count as people when police order mobs to disperse. If she was standing there, and not dispersing, then arresting her was valid.

No they don’t.

The press has an obligation to monitor police actions and report on abuses of power

Reporters who are part of a mob, that is told to disperse, have a legal duty to disperse. If not they are subject to arrest.

She was acquitted.

No they don’t.

Reporters are not part of a mob
They represent the free press. A basic Constitutional right

No they don’t.

She was acquitted.

Too bad.

No they don’t.

Reporters are not part of a mob
They represent the free press. A basic Constitutional right

Sometimes they are. And if they are, and are told to disperse and don't, then they should be arrested.

A jury acquitted Des Moines Register reporter Andrea Sahouri today of two misdemeanor charges stemming from her coverage of protests last year in a case closely watched by press freedom advocates.

Iowa Reporter Acquitted After Being Arrested While Covering George Floyd Protests

The arresting officer, Luke Wilson, testified that he was clearing a street of an unruly mob and wasn't aware that Sahouri was a reporter. Sahouri was not wearing a press badge. However, Sahouri and other journalists who were on the scene sharply disputed the police account of her arrest.

"I see an officer coming at me, so immediately I put up my hands and I say 'I'm press' because he was coming like, right at me, and I didn't think it was a good idea to run from officers," Sahouri testified during her trial. "He grabbed me, he pepper-sprayed me and as he was doing so said, 'That's not what I asked.'"

Body camera footage could have cleared this up, but, after a judge ordered prosecutors to produce the video, it was revealed that Wilson did not save the footage of Sahouri's arrest and did not report it to his supervising officer, as department rules required.

How many BLM 'tree dwellers' said to the cops: "I'm press!" but were not wearing a press badge???????
You could buy a 'PRESS BADGE' at the scene of any BLM riot last summer. You could print one up on your home printer.

He hasn't been fired yet because police unions and police departments don't really have an adversarial relationship.....

The department probably didn't really want to fire him and the union didn't really have to twist any arms at the department to make that happen....

Depending on the media attention; that may change, but I doubt it

How many BLM 'tree dwellers' said to the cops: "I'm press!" but were not wearing a press badge???????
You could buy a 'PRESS BADGE' at the scene of any BLM riot last summer. You could print one up on your home printer.

She was acquitted.

Post a link to one example instead of pulling shit out your ass

Forum List

Back