Acquitted. Reported acquitted after officer destroys evidence.

Reporters count as people when police order mobs to disperse. If she was standing there, and not dispersing, then arresting her was valid.
I have to agree with that especially since every yahoo with a cell phone and a you tube channel say they're "journalists" these days

While she should have been acquitted I bet a good part of the reason she was is because the officer was not believable. Obviously he did not care about doing his job as required.

Reporters count as people when police order mobs to disperse. If she was standing there, and not dispersing, then arresting her was valid.
I have to agree with that especially since every yahoo with a cell phone and a you tube channel say they're "journalists" these days

While she should have been acquitted I bet a good part of the reason she was is because the officer was not believable. Obviously he did not care about doing his job as required.

lots of people don't care about doing everything required for their jobs.

Granted but the repercussions are pretty high here.

Good point. IF the cop had done his job the reporter might be in jail.

HIs commanding officer should tear him a new one.

This will happen more and more often. People are going to dismiss charges where video is not available especially where there is supposed to be.

This will happen more and more often. People are going to dismiss charges where video is not available especially where there is supposed to be.

That's fine. More and more cops will learn.

I've been hearing though le that defense lawyers who pushed for the cameras, so they could show how oppressed their poor wittle defendants were,

are instead having to deal with judges and juries getting to see that their clients are actually violent animals.

Hilarious.

That's fine. More and more cops will learn.

I've been hearing though le that defense lawyers who pushed for the cameras, so they could show how oppressed their poor wittle defendants were,

are instead having to deal with judges and juries getting to see that their clients are actually violent animals.

Hilarious.

If a person is filmed doing the illegal act that makes good evidence in court.

No they don’t.

The press has an obligation to monitor police actions and report on abuses of power

Disbursing the press is an invitation to abuse

Reporters who are part of a mob, that is told to disperse, have a legal duty to disperse. If not they are subject to arrest.

Reporters are not part of a mob
They represent the free press. A basic Constitutional right

Sometimes they are. And if they are, and are told to disperse and don't, then they should be arrested.
Police have no right to disperse a free press doing its job

A jury acquitted Des Moines Register reporter Andrea Sahouri today of two misdemeanor charges stemming from her coverage of protests last year in a case closely watched by press freedom advocates.

Iowa Reporter Acquitted After Being Arrested While Covering George Floyd Protests

The arresting officer, Luke Wilson, testified that he was clearing a street of an unruly mob and wasn't aware that Sahouri was a reporter. Sahouri was not wearing a press badge. However, Sahouri and other journalists who were on the scene sharply disputed the police account of her arrest.

"I see an officer coming at me, so immediately I put up my hands and I say 'I'm press' because he was coming like, right at me, and I didn't think it was a good idea to run from officers," Sahouri testified during her trial. "He grabbed me, he pepper-sprayed me and as he was doing so said, 'That's not what I asked.'"

Body camera footage could have cleared this up, but, after a judge ordered prosecutors to produce the video, it was revealed that Wilson did not save the footage of Sahouri's arrest and did not report it to his supervising officer, as department rules required.

Two points here. First is why was he not fired for destroying evidence and not reporting this as he is required to do?

Second, police officers used to have their word taken as gospel in court. That has changed. With the proliferation of video it's been proven to most people that their word can't simply be taken without question.
Now when does the arresting officer go to court?

Cameras work

They protect the police and protect the public.
In this case, the cameras were turned off

No they don’t.

The press has an obligation to monitor police actions and report on abuses of power

Reporters who are part of a mob, that is told to disperse, have a legal duty to disperse. If not they are subject to arrest.

Sometimes they are. And if they are, and are told to disperse and don't, then they should be arrested.

Yes they do. Cops can tell anyone to leave a crime scene, or the site of an active investigation, or a street being cleared because of a riot.

And like I said any yahoo with a cell phone and a you tube channel can say he's "the press".

Such is the right's contempt for freedom of the press.

Police have no right to order the press to disperse

They can ask them to move to a different location for safety reasons, but not to leave the scene

No they don’t.

Yes they do. Cops can tell anyone to leave a crime scene, or the site of an active investigation, or a street being cleared because of a riot.

And like I said any yahoo with a cell phone and a you tube channel can say he's "the press".

She was acquitted, obviously they can not.

The cops can order them to leave a crime scene itself but not more than a reasonable distance from that scene.

Press has credentials

No they don’t.

The press has an obligation to report any citizen actions that abuse, maim and kill another citizen. They seem to have different rules in many areas of the nation for political correctness and diversity. People remove themselves from areas like animals learn for safety reasons from their own experiences. But there are to many people who think it is pollyanna and end up getting affected by reality. Prog adherents who live in potentially bad areas and leave for the safety of their own necks can go to hell as they preach their religion of the sanctity of the realm.

I believe the officer gave a lawful order. Not having the required Press ID does not obviate disobedience.

The officer does not know who she is and under those circumstances not authorized to remain on that part of the scene.

Just my opinion here.

Forum List

Back