A very important point that nobody really talks about

gogreen

Rookie
Feb 1, 2017
A short clip that explains things pretty well:

Not a fan of the title of the vid and it's quite short, but it's something we should be talking about a lot more in the environmental community. With the Trump administration's decisions, we all need to pitch in. But beware, I shared this video on Facebook and it attracted quite a few anti climate change comments.
Let me know whether you think this movement is worth pursuing or if it is just wishful thinking even if everyone was educated on the matter?

It won't work. At least not in your lifetime...perhaps in 10 generations or so. People enjoy meat. Changing the eating habits of the majority of Americans...much less the rest of the world...is a very long term goal. Only 3.2 percent of the population of the U.S. are vegetarians. And there's a reason for that. Meat, against 30 years of government nannying, is still the main course that most of us grew up with...and vegetables are something you eat when the meat is gone.

I'm not knocking you for trying it. If you want to eat less meat...more power to ya. But it's not going to reduce the overall demand for meat.

But I'm not discouraging you. A reduced demand will increase supply...and therefore reducing cost...allowing me to eat more beef. Pork and chicken are still relatively inexpensive, so if you could focus your attention just on beef, I would be greatly appreciative.

The human body is designed for digestion, primarily of meat. Biology is against you on this.

The human body is designed for digestion, primarily of meat. Biology is against you on this.
No, there have been numerous studies that support the claim that the human body is meant for a plant-based diet with small portions of meat.

It won't work. At least not in your lifetime...perhaps in 10 generations or so. People enjoy meat. Changing the eating habits of the majority of Americans...much less the rest of the world...is a very long term goal. Only 3.2 percent of the population of the U.S. are vegetarians. And there's a reason for that. Meat, against 30 years of government nannying, is still the main course that most of us grew up with...and vegetables are something you eat when the meat is gone.

I'm not knocking you for trying it. If you want to eat less meat...more power to ya. But it's not going to reduce the overall demand for meat.

But I'm not discouraging you. A reduced demand will increase supply...and therefore reducing cost...allowing me to eat more beef. Pork and chicken are still relatively inexpensive, so if you could focus your attention just on beef, I would be greatly appreciative.

Yeah, you might be right. I feel like a lot of people are put off by vegetarian/vegan extremism and that weak ethics argument. I eat meat once in a while, but I mainly eat plant-based. I think if people were more educated on the environmental impact, instead of the ethical argument, more people might join the movement.

No, there have been numerous studies that support the claim that the human body is meant for a plant-based diet with small portions of meat.
There have been numerous studies on nearly everything imaginable. I stand by the accepted science on this matter.

We are designed as an omnivore. A healthy diet includes both meat and food from plants. A diet chiefly of meat is not good for you, and a diet with no meat has to be carefully planned to avoid protean deficiency. I would point out that at one time we had vast herbs of ruminants in America and Africa, with little affect on the CH4 and CO2 levels. As for the pollution from the factory farms, apply the same regulations on them as any other industry. A steel mill that polluted at the levels that the factory farms do would be shut down.

There have been numerous studies on nearly everything imaginable. I stand by the accepted science on this matter.

The accepted science is that the human physiology (intestines, teeth, build, etc.) is much much closer to that of herbivores than carnivores. Of course we are omnivores, but eating meat at every meal is completely unnecessary and environmentally irresponsible.

Actually, we can trace the advent of human disease and shorter life expectancy directly to the advent of agriculture. Before agriculture, we primarily ate meat. It is through meats we get dozens of important fatty acids and essential proteins which contribute to development of the brain and central nervous system. (Your brain is primarily fat.) The size of our brain is largely the result of our diets consisting mainly of meat when we were evolving.

If you embark on a lifestyle of vegetarianism at age 20, chances are good you won't live to be 50 without developing some kind of cancer. You're quite literally killing yourself.

Sorry, I could only watch about 2 minutes, it was getting pretty cringey. Yes, meat was important in the early development of the human brain, but our brains have achieved their maximum growth thousands of years ago. Study after study has shown that replacing meat protein with plant protein is perfectly fine. Vegans, however, need to take a few supplements that their diet lacks naturally. I'm not even vegetarian, but the pro-meat argument is so archaic and unfounded.

Actually, we can trace the advent of human disease and shorter life expectancy directly to the advent of agriculture. Before agriculture, we primarily ate meat. It is through meats we get dozens of important fatty acids and essential proteins which contribute to development of the brain and central nervous system. (Your brain is primarily fat.) The size of our brain is largely the result of our diets consisting mainly of meat when we were evolving.

If you embark on a lifestyle of vegetarianism at age 20, chances are good you won't live to be 50 without developing some kind of cancer. You're quite literally killing yourself.

Let's focus on current studies rather than something that happened while we were still evolving. I don't know how many academic studies have proven that vegans, on average, live longer than meat-eaters, but it's a lot. Have fun with your heart disease though. It's a free country. I would really rather focus on the environmental impact anyway.

How about a link to a study that says that?

Do Vegetarians Live Longer? - Life Extension

Do Vegetarians Live Longer?
January 2006
By William Faloon

awsi_faloon_2003.jpg

by William Faloon
Excess consumption of red meat increases the risk of heart disease, certain cancers, and other disorders. As a result, health-conscious people are eating more fruit, vegetables, and fish, and are staying away from beef. With all the benefits attributed to plant foods, one might think that vegetarians enjoy a huge life-span advantage over meat eaters.

We reviewed the published scientific literature and uncovered some surprising data relating to diet and longevity. As one would expect, most studies show that those who consume lots of red meat have higher disease rates.1-14 Red meat not only predisposes people to lethal illness, but meat eaters also have increased risks of ailments such as appendicitis, chronic inflammation, and kidney disease.15-20

A huge volume of scientific data confirms the protective role of fruits and vegetables on human health.21-23 So the question is, do people who eat only fruits and vegetables—and no meat—live significantly longer?

Unexpected Findings
Vegetarians suffer fewer heart attacks than meat eaters.24-37 Interestingly, this benefit dissipates as vegetarians age. For instance, one study showed that vegetarians under the age of 65 were 45% less like to suffer a heart attack than were meat eaters. Once vegetarians reached the age of 80, however, their heart attack risk was only 8% lower than that of meat eaters.38

jan2006_awsi_01.jpg

Longevity studies of vegetarians produce conflicting data. Some studies do not show that vegetarians live significantly longer.25,29 Two studies of people who consumed very little meat showed an average life-span increase of 3.6 years.39 A huge study of Seventh Day Adventists who ate little or no meat showed longevity increases of 7.28 years in men and 4.42 years in women.40 These data are confounded by the fact that Seventh Day Adventists follow healthy lifestyles free of tobacco and alcohol.

Studies suggest that the longevity benefits conferred by a vegetarian diet dissipate as humans enter their ninth decade.39 This implies that while vegetarian diets reduce disease risk, restricting one’s diet to only plant foods does not completely protect against the effects of aging.

Why a vegan diet can make you live longer

Vegans have substantially lower death rates than meat-eaters, a major study has found.

The study has been published in the JAMA Internal Medicine Journal and reignites debate around increasingly popular vegan diets amid conflicting medical advice and evidence over their impact of proponents' health.

The research was undertaken by scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital, who monitored health and diet records of more than 130,000 people over the course of thirty years.

They found every three per cent increase in calories from plant protein was found to reduce risk of death by 10 per cent. The figure rises to 12 per cent for risk of dying from heart disease.

By contrast, raising the share of animal protein in one's diet by 10 per cent led to a two per cent higher risk of death from all causes. This increased to an eight per cent higher chance of dying from heart disease.

Substituting eggs for plant protein led to a 19 per cent reduction in death risk and eliminating unprocessed red meat saw a drop of 12 per cent.

OK, Boss, waiting for you to post your studies that state these studies are wrong. Or is that an 'Alternate Fact' pulled out of your ass?

Everyone I have known, except the younger ones, that have gone this route ended up dying far too young and with debilitating illnesses in the end. Crippling arthritis was the most prevalent.

Everyone I have known, except the younger ones, that have gone this route ended up dying far too young and with debilitating illnesses in the end. Crippling arthritis was the most prevalent.

I'm sorry that happened to people you know, but one person's experiences can't go against scientific fact & studies.

Sorry, I could only watch about 2 minutes, it was getting pretty cringey. Yes, meat was important in the early development of the human brain, but our brains have achieved their maximum growth thousands of years ago. Study after study has shown that replacing meat protein with plant protein is perfectly fine. Vegans, however, need to take a few supplements that their diet lacks naturally. I'm not even vegetarian, but the pro-meat argument is so archaic and unfounded.

Well if you're not going to watch more than 2 minutes of a short 30-minute video, then you've obviously closed your mind to any outside thought on the topic. I don't know where you get your notion that we've "achieved maximum" anything. From my understanding, evolution is a continuing process.

"Studies" can say anything. There is nothing inherently TRUE because it was concluded in a study. I could list dozens upon dozens of things that "studies" indicated were "perfectly fine" which turned out to be totally false. The sheer fact that you admit vegans must take certain supplements their diets lack naturally should tell you that the diet is not natural.

Now... I can't argue about what's cool or trendy or hip... that's a matter of culture and opinion, I suppose. And I also can't condone a diet of steroid-induced and hormone-infused processed meats that are probably just as harmful to you as a vegan or vegetarian diet. I'm going to eat what I like and that will include meat. I'm certainly not going to give up eating meat to "save the planet" because that's simply kockadoodle nonsense.

It has been a number of them- not just a few.

I'm sorry that happened to people you know, but one person's experiences can't go against scientific fact & studies.

OK, Boss, waiting for you to post your studies that state these studies are wrong. Or is that an 'Alternate Fact' pulled out of your ass?

I posted a video that presents all kinds of information on the topic. It's by a renown liberal feminist lesbian so I don't think it's "right-wing bias" by any stretch. So take 30 minutes and watch the video then we'll discuss it.

Well if you're not going to watch more than 2 minutes of a short 30-minute video, then you've obviously closed your mind to any outside thought on the topic. I don't know where you get your notion that we've "achieved maximum" anything. From my understanding, evolution is a continuing process.

"Studies" can say anything. There is nothing inherently TRUE because it was concluded in a study. I could list dozens upon dozens of things that "studies" indicated were "perfectly fine" which turned out to be totally false. The sheer fact that you admit vegans must take certain supplements their diets lack naturally should tell you that the diet is not natural.

Now... I can't argue about what's cool or trendy or hip... that's a matter of culture and opinion, I suppose. And I also can't condone a diet of steroid-induced and hormone-infused processed meats that are probably just as harmful to you as a vegan or vegetarian diet. I'm going to eat what I like and that will include meat. I'm certainly not going to give up eating meat to "save the planet" because that's simply kockadoodle nonsense.

Not close-minded, I just don't have time to watch a half an hour video today. Maybe tomorrow. There is no denying that meat was essential for early human development. Key word early. Eating meat everyday is not necessary anymore. That's a fact.

Forum List

Back