A very important point that nobody really talks about

I have to disagree with you, Gogreen. I grew up in a very poor family. We ate primarily out of our garden, and the deer that dad poached with his .22. It was a very healthy diet, and since I am still working as a millwright at 73 in a steel mill, apparently a pretty healthy one for living to a healthy old age. Having said that, Since I was 50 years old, I find that eating the level of meat I ate in my youth disagrees with my stomach, and I don't feel that good for a while. So, I eat more vegatables, fruits, and nuts than I used to. Of course, I can afford to, something which people making less money may have a problem with. As in most things, I think that moderation is the key.

Not close-minded, I just don't have time to watch a half an hour video today. Maybe tomorrow. There is no denying that meat was essential for early human development. Key word early. Eating meat everyday is not necessary anymore. That's a fact.

Never has been "necessary" ...we're not talking about what is "necessary" here.

If eating meat was essential for early human development, I would be interested in what makes you believe it's not important now? Did evolution stop? If it did, I would say that is pretty fucking.... Miraculous. Almost indicative of Design. Hmmmmm

A short clip that explains things pretty well:

Not a fan of the title of the vid and it's quite short, but it's something we should be talking about a lot more in the environmental community. With the Trump administration's decisions, we all need to pitch in. But beware, I shared this video on Facebook and it attracted quite a few anti climate change comments.
Let me know whether you think this movement is worth pursuing or if it is just wishful thinking even if everyone was educated on the matter?

Enviro-Wacko Marxism at its finest!

No thank you... I've had enough of this liberal wacko crap!

Not close-minded, I just don't have time to watch a half an hour video today. Maybe tomorrow. There is no denying that meat was essential for early human development. Key word early. Eating meat everyday is not necessary anymore. That's a fact.

If eating meat was essential for early human development, I would be interested in what makes you believe it's not important now? Did evolution stop? If it did, I would say that is pretty fucking.... Miraculous. Almost indicative of Design. Hmmmmm

Meat was essential in early development because it is incredibly nutrient and fat rich. Back then, we didn't have access to the amount of food we have today obviously. The amount of plant food we ate wasn't nearly enough to promote brain growth. In modern society, things are clearly different. Please don't bend the facts.

I have to disagree with you, Gogreen. I grew up in a very poor family. We ate primarily out of our garden, and the deer that dad poached with his .22. It was a very healthy diet, and since I am still working as a millwright at 73 in a steel mill, apparently a pretty healthy one for living to a healthy old age. Having said that, Since I was 50 years old, I find that eating the level of meat I ate in my youth disagrees with my stomach, and I don't feel that good for a while. So, I eat more vegatables, fruits, and nuts than I used to. Of course, I can afford to, something which people making less money may have a problem with. As in most things, I think that moderation is the key.

It's great that you are healthy, but again, one person's experience can't cancel out numerous studies. Meat is very expensive compared to beans, spinach, and other protein-rich plants. Eating less meat will not harm somebody's health and I think its benefit to the environment is well worth it.

Fire and charcoal tells me that meat is tasty and that cows, pigs, and chickens are meant to be eaten by humans.

Meat was essential in early development because it is incredibly nutrient and fat rich. Back then, we didn't have access to the amount of food we have today obviously. The amount of plant food we ate wasn't nearly enough to promote brain growth. In modern society, things are clearly different. Please don't bend the facts.

Again, there are many essential proteins and fatty acids present in meat that is not present in vegetables. This argument that it was essential in early development but unimportant now is actually a complete contradiction of your original claim that we were designed to be vegetarians. So... we were designed to be vegetarians but we ate meat because it was essential to our development, but now that we are fully developed and there is no more room for us to develop any further, we can throw off the essential meats and be the vegetarians we were always designed to be? That's some really convoluted logic there!
:cuckoo:

It's great that you are healthy, but again, one person's experience can't cancel out numerous studies. Meat is very expensive compared to beans, spinach, and other protein-rich plants. Eating less meat will not harm somebody's health and I think its benefit to the environment is well worth it.
Well now, I have definitely eaten at least my share of beans, and still like all the different types. As far as the benefit to the environment, the primary source of the CH4 increase in the atmosphere is from the permafrost and clathrates in the arctic.

Arctic News

There are further feedbacks affecting the Arctic, as described at this page. One of the most dangerous feedbacks is methane escaping from the seafloor of the Arctic Ocean. As the temperature of the Arctic Ocean keeps rising, it seems inevitable that more and more methane will rise from its seafloor and enter the atmosphere, at first strongly warming up the atmosphere over the Arctic Ocean itself - thus causing further methane eruptions - and eventually warming up the atmosphere across the globe.

Jan-28-2017.png

Above image paints a dire warning. The image shows that methane levels were as high as 2562 ppb on January 28, 2017. The image further shows high methane levels off the coast of Siberia and also where water from Nares Strait enters Baffin Bay.

The human body is designed for digestion, primarily of meat. Biology is against you on this.
Whether you were meant to be a carnivore of a herbivore is immaterial. The facts are that if you substitute vegetable protein for animal protein you will lead a heather life. Some say it will be a longer life. I'm not sure about that. If you were raised as a carnivore, it may just seem like it's longer.

In my family, I have 4 meat eaters, 3 vegetarians, and 2 vegans. Going out to eat is an experience. Serving Christmas dinner? Well, I won't even try to describe it. My recommendation for any family whose kids say, I'm a vegan. You should consider emancipation if you are not of that persuasion.

Again, there are many essential proteins and fatty acids present in meat that is not present in vegetables. This argument that it was essential in early development but unimportant now is actually a complete contradiction of your original claim that we were designed to be vegetarians. So... we were designed to be vegetarians but we ate meat because it was essential to our development, but now that we are fully developed and there is no more room for us to develop any further, we can throw off the essential meats and be the vegetarians we were always designed to be? That's some really convoluted logic there!

They aren't essential, sorry. It's not about meat having special ingredients that helped increase brain function. It was because the meat was nutrient dense and again, we did not have access to the amount of fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes we have now. What is so difficult about understanding that? We were not designed to be herbivores/vegetarians, but we are physically designed closer to a herbivore than a carnivore. It doesn't matter what is natural, what matters is what is healthy. Being vegetarian is healthy as so many studies have delineated. With the added environmental benefits, advocating a cut back of meat is more than reasonable.

They aren't essential, sorry. It's not about meat having special ingredients that helped increase brain function. It was because the meat was nutrient dense and again, we did not have access to the amount of fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes we have now. What is so difficult about understanding that? We were not designed to be herbivores/vegetarians, but we are physically designed closer to a herbivore than a carnivore. It doesn't matter what is natural, what matters is what is healthy. Being vegetarian is healthy as so many studies have delineated. With the added environmental benefits, advocating a cut back of meat is more than reasonable.
For most people, reducing the amount of meat you eat is a good idea, particularly as you grow older. The fact is that most of us just don't need that much protein coupled with saturated fats.

I told my son and daughter I would really like to be a vegetarian, but I just love a good steak too much. You just can't find vegetable protein that tastes like a rare aged prime New York Strip.

For most people, reducing the amount of meat you eat is a good idea, particularly as you grow older. The fact is that most of us just don't need that much protein coupled with saturated fats.

I told my son and daughter I would really like to be a vegetarian, but I just love a good steak too much. You just can't find vegetable protein that tastes like a rare aged prime New York Strip.

Definitely, that's why this thread was supposed to be about decreasing meat consumption. I'm not sure why it turned into a vegetarian debate. Even the video said 'there's no need to go completely vegetarian'.

Again, watch the video I posted, it's NOT healthy. That's a myth. Do you know who mostly promotes this shit? People who are selling supplements. And now, apparently, people who are trying to "Save the Planet!" Good god... can we please stop with the ignorant nonsense?

Again, watch the video I posted, it's NOT healthy. That's a myth. Do you know who mostly promotes this shit? People who are selling supplements. And now, apparently, people who are trying to "Save the Planet!" Good god... can we please stop with the ignorant nonsense?
Accurately, the people that promote less meat and saturated fats in diets are doctors. I'm not saying they give a shit about the planet. They just think it's stupid that so many people are eating themselves into an early grave.

People cram down their big macs, ice cream, fried Twinkies, and they end up at the age 65, obese, on Medicare with blocked arteries, high blood pressure, and diabetes. The rest of use have to pay for their indulgence with millions of dollars in bypasses, transplants, and endless visits to emergency rooms and hospital stays so they can struggle through another 10 or 15 years.

Accurately, the people that promote less meat and saturated fats in diets are doctors. I'm not saying they give a shit about the planet. They just think it's stupid that so many people are eating themselves into an early grave.

People cram down their big macs, ice cream, fried Twinkies, and they end up at the age 65, obese, on Medicare with blocked arteries, high blood pressure, and diabetes. The rest of use have to pay for their indulgence with millions of dollars in bypasses, transplants, and endless visits to emergency rooms and hospital stays so they can struggle through another 10 or 15 years.

Which is precisely why I don't think government should have a fucking thing to do with healthcare and healthcare isn't a fucking "right!" If people want to eat themselves into an early grave, that's THEIR business... not YOURS!

Subsequently, if kookadoodles want to eat tofu and think they're saving the planet... more power to them! Just don't try to force ME to do it!

We ate primarily out of our garden, and the deer that dad poached with his .22. .

Don't they have squirrels out there?
Yes, but mostly little fellows, nothing like the squirrels you have back east. And the deer, at that time in Eastern Oregon, were everywhere. Why would you bother with a squirrel with a family of eight, when that same bullet could bring down a muley weighing 150 to 200 lbs field dressed?

Which is precisely why I don't think government should have a fucking thing to do with healthcare and healthcare isn't a fucking "right!" If people want to eat themselves into an early grave, that's THEIR business... not YOURS!

Subsequently, if kookadoodles want to eat tofu and think they're saving the planet... more power to them! Just don't try to force ME to do it!
LOL Proof is in the pudding. In this case, the rest of the first world nations all have single payer universal health care, and they all live longer and healthier than we do.

Forum List

Back