A Tip For Dealing With Extreme Heat…

Interestingly enough, I came across some research articles a few years back that said one of the easiest (and one of the more effective) ways of helping to regulate body temp was located in a person's hands.

They found that if a person had been in the heat and working for a bit to the point where their core temp was going up, putting the hands in cool or cold water for 5-10 min was a good way to get their core temp to go back down. Some sports physiologists have endorsed this method as well.

So, next time you start to get overheated, simply soak your hands in some cool to cold water for a few minutes, and watch how fast you start to cool down. I've tried it, and it works!

Some have said that cooling the feet like that works as well, but when I'm working, I don't have time to take off my shoes and socks, but I always have time to soak my hands for a few minutes.

Interestingly enough, I came across some research articles a few years back that said one of the easiest (and one of the more effective) ways of helping to regulate body temp was located in a person's hands.

They found that if a person had been in the heat and working for a bit to the point where their core temp was going up, putting the hands in cool or cold water for 5-10 min was a good way to get their core temp to go back down. Some sports physiologists have endorsed this method as well.

So, next time you start to get overheated, simply soak your hands in some cool to cold water for a few minutes, and watch how fast you start to cool down. I've tried it, and it works!

Some have said that cooling the feet like that works as well, but when I'm working, I don't have time to take off my shoes and socks, but I always have time to soak my hands for a few minutes.
The reverse also works: when you are cold, put your hands in warm water.

On an episode of Bear Grills, he suggested drinking his own piss.

The reverse also works: when you are cold, put your hands in warm water.

Yeah, I use that technique as well. When I get really cold, putting my hands under a warm tap for a minute or two helps quite a bit.

But, my main technique for dealing with cold weather is one that doesn't involve water. Found this out from a person who deals with cold temps on a regular basis. He told me that putting those hand warming pads over your kidneys (one over each) will keep you warm for as long as the pads are generating heat. Seems that the reason for it is because ALL of the blood in the body is continually being filtered by the kidneys, and keeping them warm helps to warm up the blood, and keep your whole body warm. I use warming pads over my kidneys when I'm working in the cold or riding a motorcycle, and that technique works quite well too. Dunno if the same thing would work with a cold belt of some type, I might have to think about finding a gel belt that I can put in the 'fridge to cool down and wear in the heat. If I do, I will post results to let everyone know how it works out.

On an episode of Bear Grills, he suggested drinking his own piss.

That's for no water and dehydration, not heat. And, you can only "recycle" your own water for a maximum of 3 times. After that, you will end up becoming toxic to yourself because in addition to the water, you are putting back in stuff your body is trying to get rid of.

I remember on Hill Street Blues, "Dog," told somebody to put their mother in a bath for relief from the heat. Just get a fan.

Neck cool down scarf works. I keep them in my ice chest sometimes. Around your neck cools you down quick.

Assuming a non emergency situation, get out of the sun and drink some water and don't lock your kids or your pets in the freaking car even for a minute. Why do common experiences need profound advice these days?

Forum List

Back