A Streetcar Named Desire

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Yes, another old movie.
And another one that neither of us had seen. We both have watched a lot of old movies, but seem to avoid the most highly rated for some reason.
I don't think it has aged too well. The actor who plays Blanche is an "over actor". Even for the time. By 1951, actors were toning down the exaggerated expressions necessary in the silent film era. Apparently she didn't get the message. It was enough that it was distracting and interrupting the flow of the film.
This was one of Karl Malden's first significant roles. And there was no mistaking he was going to be big. I believe he steals the show in this movie. Even though this movie is considered to be Brando's breakout movie, which of course he did very well, Malden is better. (IMO)
I would not classify this as a "must see", it is a very simple story as it was originally a stage play and the movie is 98% filmed in one of two rooms. It can be erratic at times, and the dialogue is not always easy to follow, more than once it was difficult to follow conversations.
Glad we watched it. It no longer lives up to it's hype in comparison to other movies of the time. An example, I was far more entertained by a better movie - "Marty" than this.
Watch that one instead.

I agree with you. Streetcar is not one of my favorite “classic” films.
I thought both Brando and Vivian Leigh overacted and were too dramatic. Agree that Karl Malden stole the movie with a more subtle performance. Kim Hunter was also very good

Not a movie I will watch when it shows up on TV

I thought both Brando and Vivian Leigh overacted and were too dramatic. Agree that Karl Malden stole the movie with a more subtle performance. Kim Hunter was also very good

Indeed.
It is unfortunate she won an Academy award for this role, when Kim Hunter (Stella) did a far better job in her role. 10 times more believable, and not constantly disrupting scenes with flamboyantly over dramatizing her parts.
Had Vivian Leigh played her role realistically, I probably would have nothing but praise for it.

In my childhood I had known women much like the Vivian Lee character and Kim Hunter character. Come to think of it like all the characters in this story.

Yes, another old movie.
And another one that neither of us had seen. We both have watched a lot of old movies, but seem to avoid the most highly rated for some reason.
I don't think it has aged too well. The actor who plays Blanche is an "over actor". Even for the time. By 1951, actors were toning down the exaggerated expressions necessary in the silent film era. Apparently she didn't get the message. It was enough that it was distracting and interrupting the flow of the film.
This was one of Karl Malden's first significant roles. And there was no mistaking he was going to be big. I believe he steals the show in this movie. Even though this movie is considered to be Brando's breakout movie, which of course he did very well, Malden is better. (IMO)
I would not classify this as a "must see", it is a very simple story as it was originally a stage play and the movie is 98% filmed in one of two rooms. It can be erratic at times, and the dialogue is not always easy to follow, more than once it was difficult to follow conversations.
Glad we watched it. It no longer lives up to it's hype in comparison to other movies of the time. An example, I was far more entertained by a better movie - "Marty" than this.
Watch that one instead.
The move Street Car Named Desire is a Tennessee Williams Broadway play brought to the screen. The play won a Pulitzer and the movie got 12 Oscar nominations and 4 wins. IMHO, the writing is Williams best and the acting is great. However, I can't say I really like the movie or play. It is simply unpleasant to watch, deeply flawed people living with betrayal, disillusionment, and preaching the virtues of self-deception. I like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof better.

Unlike Street Car Named Desire, Marty is a feel good movie. It is a very sweet, romantic movies about an ugly nice guy and a homely nice girl. Paddy Chayefsky took a simple story about everyday people and turned it into a great script. I love his writing. For example when Marty decides he's going date Clar despite what Angie or anyone else thinks he says,

You don't like her. My mother don't
like her. She's a dog, and I'm a
fat, ugly little man. All I know is
I hadda good time last night. I'm
gonna have a good time tonight. If
we have enough good times together,
I'm gonna go down on my knees and
beg that girl to marry me. If we
make a party again this New Year's,
I gotta date for the party. You don't
like her, that's too bad.

Last edited:

The roles of Stanley and Blanche call for overacting to make them more dramatic, particularly Blanc, an alcoholic nymphomaniac posing as the epitome of genteel Southern womanhood, Blanc is an over the top Southern Belle that should be highly dramatized. Over acting is not necessary bad acting.

Last edited:
The roles of Stanley and Blanche call for overacting to make them more dramatic, particularly Blanc, an alcoholic nymphomaniac posing as the epitome of genteel Southern womanhood, Blanc is an over the top Southern Belle that should be highly dramatized. Over acting is not necessary bad acting.

She overacted in Gone with the Wind too
Brando overacts in almost every role

Last edited:
Unless you are in a comedy, overacting is always a bad thing.

Unless you are in a comedy, overacting is always a bad thing.
Overacting is a way to portray an eccentric or villainous character. It is usually undesirable for the serious actor. Still, the line between giving your all to a performance and overacting can be blurry. Brando overacts and underact creating his character. He says he doesn't play a roll, he creates it.

Actors who transitioned from silent movies to sound often overact their rolls. You can see this in many movies made in the 30s.

We saw a version of Streetcar on Broadway with Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange. Very good.

I always thought Sylvester Stallone would make good Stanley.

Overacting is a way to portray an eccentric or villainous character. It is usually undesirable for the serious actor. Still, the line between giving your all to a performance and overacting can be blurry. Brando overacts and underact creating his character. He says he doesn't play a roll, he creates it.

Actors who transitioned from silent movies to sound often overact their rolls. You can see this in many movies made in the 30s.
I wouldn’t recommend it
It comes off as unnatural and gives the viewer the opinion that real people wouldn’t behave that way

Brando was always overrated for some reason. In the '53 movie The Wild One the 5-6 actor looked more like a gay motorcycle outlaw than the real thing. Lee Marvin showed how it was done. The cotton in the cheeks Godfather has become an industry joke.

Forum List

Back