A sad statement on America...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Bonz got a new job she starts tomorrow, the office has fairly specific professional attire so we went to clothing stores to get her some new outfits.
We also went to Macys a few weeks ago, I needed a couple shirts and a new pair of jeans - her some new summer tops.
- And here is where the sad statement comes in... for as long as I can remember plus sizes were always a small section of the entire women's layout.
Not anymore.
In each store we were in, plus sizes are now damn near half the store. Every time you turn around and see something it is 2XL..XL etc.

Obviously these stores do this in reaction to sales. They are selling more plus sizes, so they stock more plus sizes.

Ronald-McDond.jpg

Americans have been getting fat, fatter, fattiest for decades. It seems hopeless.

And we should be feeling what at this moment in time in relationship to obesity in the US?

That apparently more and more women care more about what they feed their face than their appearance.
Part of this I would say stems from the absurd PC movement of "big is beautiful" - no it isn't. And it is the most damning thing a person can do to shorten their lives. You would be better off smoking a pack a day than be obese. It isn't even close.

And we should be feeling what at this moment in time in relationship to obesity in the US?

That apparently more and more women care more about what they feed their face than their appearance.
Part of this I would say stems from the absurd PC movement of "big is beautiful" - no it isn't. And it is the most damning thing a person can do to shorten their lives. You would be better off smoking a pack a day than be obese. It isn't even close.
Maybe the problem has more to do with the American diet as opposed to how much we eat. It's an issue of quality, not quantity.

Bonz got a new job she starts tomorrow, the office has fairly specific professional attire so we went to clothing stores to get her some new outfits.
We also went to Macys a few weeks ago, I needed a couple shirts and a new pair of jeans - her some new summer tops.
- And here is where the sad statement comes in... for as long as I can remember plus sizes were always a small section of the entire women's layout.
Not anymore.
In each store we were in, plus sizes are now damn near half the store. Every time you turn around and see something it is 2XL..XL etc.

Obviously these stores do this in reaction to sales. They are selling more plus sizes, so they stock more plus sizes.

View attachment 265600

Dear iamwhatiseem
Also, the online sales and consignment offers wider selection.
Bonz should check out swap.com thredup.com poshmark.com
Hard to compete with $5 dresses and $15-20.00 suits you can find online.

Maybe the problem has more to do with the American diet as opposed to how much we eat. It's an issue of quality, not quantity.

Indeed.
Throughout America, and parts of other countries that adopted the worst of western diets... we now have a significant part of our society that is both obese, yet also malnourished.

Indeed.
Throughout America, and parts of other countries that adopted the worst of western diets... we now have a significant part of our society that is both obese, yet also malnourished.
I think it speaks more about our economics than it does about political ideology. I don't think it has anything to do with a PC movement. The simple fact is that people are marketed shit food, they eat it and that opens a new market for fat clothing. That is the free market in action.

Indeed.
Actually, I'm Belgian. My wife is an American. Do you know what always strikes me when I visit the US? Here a decent meal, (starch, veg, meat) costs about 4 bucks a person, while McDonald's costs about 12 dollars. In the US at least in NY where she comes from that same healthy meal costs about quadruple. While McDonald's is less than half. I'm willing to guess that obesity in the US has more to do with economics than it has to do with laziness.

Indeed.
Actually, I'm Belgian. My wife is an American. Do you know what always strikes me when I visit the US? Here a decent meal, (starch, veg, meat) costs about 4 bucks a person, while McDonald's costs about 12 dollars. In the US at least in NY where she comes from that same healthy meal costs about quadruple. While McDonald's is less than half. I'm willing to guess that obesity in the US has more to do with economics than it has to do with laziness.

Yep forkup
I blame the $4-5 dollar menus.
When I was working two jobs, the most I could do for homecooking
was to grab prepared food at HEB or Walmart, whatever was discounted for quick sale.
The friends I know who cook for themselves work at home.

Indeed.

Yep forkup
was to grab prepared food at HEB or Walmart, whatever was discounted for quick sale.
Just to give you an idea. 10 pounds of potatoes go for around 5 to 6 euro here. When in season clementines go for about 2 Euro for 8 pounds. On the other hand, Five Guys for 3 people set me back 60 euro.

Indeed.

Yep forkup
I went without eating to save money..

Actually PC has not a damn thing to do with weight gain..Now if you like to attack peoples body shape that is completely different.

Indeed.
I was obese in the 1960's yet lost the weight when I was a teen in the 1970's.

Indeed.

Yep forkup

Moonglow
It's also possible to eat the fast food but order
without the carbs (no buns, no bread products).
It costs the same though.

More people I know are going without
the carbs, starches and sugars as a quick
way to cut calories down. To still lose weight
while remaining lazy slobs who don't exercise enough.

Indeed.

Yep forkup

Moonglow
It's also possible to eat the fast food but order
without the carbs (no buns, no bread products).
It costs the same though.

More people I know are going without
the carbs, starches and sugars as a quick
way to cut calories down. To still lose weight
while remaining lazy slobs who don't exercise enough.
When I started having kids I used to take two boiled eggs and a can of tuna for lunch if I took anything, yet control of diet is one issue but so is activity to burn those calories today’s citizen is more likely to be heavier do to less activity.

Forum List

Back