A rape, and a likely rape that did not happen, a difference between two countries...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
In Britain, you cannot carry a gun to stop your own rape or murder.

In the U.S. you can own and carry a gun to stop your own rape or murder.....(at least in sane states....)

What does that actually look like...

In Britain....

Woman, 20, raped by three men in Elland, West Yorkshire | Metro News

A young woman was attacked and raped by three men while out on an early morning walk near a nature reserve. Police have launched a manhunt following the sickening attack in Elland, West Yorkshire, on October 19, between 6.30am and 7.49am. The 20-year-old woman was left needing hospital treatment and officers are now appealing for help to trace the three men responsible.

In the U.S.....

Lancaster Woman Scares Off Bat-Wielding Attackers By Pulling Gun On Them

LANCASTER, Ohio - It happened along a walking path in Lancaster.

Dinah Burns is licensed to carry a concealed gun, but she'd only recently started taking her weapon while walking her dog.

Based on what happened, it looks like she'll make a point of carrying from now on.

"I think if they'd gotten any closer, I probably would have fired,” said Burns.

It was Monday when Burns was on a footpath near Sanderson Elementary School.

"Two gentlemen came out of the woods, one holding a baseball bat, and said 'You're coming with us'."

The men weren't deterred by Dinah's dog Gracie.

"I said, 'Well, what do you want?,' and as I was saying that I reached in to my pocket and slipped my gun out, slipped the safety off as I pulled it out. As I was doing that the other gentleman came toward me and raised the baseball bat. And, I pointed the gun at them and said, 'I have this and I'm not afraid to use it.'"

The men took off and so far have eluded police. Dinah posted about the incident on Facebook to alert friends and neighbors, to criticism by some.

"Most of the males' opinion was, 'Why didn't you shoot them?'"

Easy to second-guess a decision made under pressure, based on her concealed carry training, and police agree.

"To get out of a situation, back out, get out of it as much as you can without having to discharge your firearm."

"I will say it's a good thing to go from a place of danger to a place of safety, however you get that done,” said Sgt. Matt Chambers, Lancaster Police.

"Very thankful that it turned out the way it did, and hope it doesn't happen again, but I will be prepared."

------

Woman Scares off Assailant With Stick. Just Kidding, it was a gun.

Just before 7pm on Wednesday night, a 29 year-old woman had gathered up her dog and headed outside to… well, to let her dog do what dogs do.

Upon her first step outside her Minot, North Dakota home, she was hit solidly in the face with a blunt object, knocking her backward down the stairs and into her home.

Her assailant followed her into her home and started to approach her, but the woman had made it to a cabinet where she retrieved a handgun to protect herself and her home.

When confronted with the firearm, the violent intruder and would-be robber/rapist/murderer fled the scene.

The smart, independent, gun-owning woman did not require medical attention, most likely due to the fact that she was able to pull a weapon on her assailant to end the attack.

-----------

Attacker with knife flees after woman reveals her concealed carry gun, police say

A woman in Illinois was reportedly able to protect herself with her concealed carry firearm after a stranger with a knife jumped into her car.

Police said a woman who was parked near a shopping mall in Moline on Sunday was attacked by a man who fought his way into her car, according to WQAD 8.

During the fight, the man reportedly slashed the woman’s arm with a knife. He then ordered the woman to drive to Rock Island County, a rural area, according to police.

DC GUN-FREE ZONES CAUSE CONFUSION OVER LEGALITY OF GUN CARRY EVEN WITH A PERMIT

Once the woman stopped the car, she was able to reach her gun, which she had a concealed carry firearm permit for, WQAD 8 reported.

After the attacker saw the weapon, he reportedly ran off and she was able to drive herself to the hospital.

Police subsequently opened an investigation and arrested Floyd R. May, 61.

May was charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery with a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and aggravated assault.

You need help with your obsessive compulsion disorder. Soon.

So in the interest of balance, how many women in America have been raped at gunpoint? Google it.

And you miss the point.... a man doesn't need a gun to rape a woman, a knife or even his bare hands will do.....and he could also just get friends to help...

A gun, on the other hand, is the best way for a woman to stop a rape.....the best tool, even better than a knife....

As the stories I listed show, a gun allows a woman to drive off not only a single man, but multiple male attackers even if they are armed.....

So I ask you...if you will answer...which is preferable...that a woman is raped, or that she have the ability to use a concealed or openly carried gun to stop it? Which do you want.....?

Here....some help....

Guns Effective Defense Against Rape

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

And you miss the point.... a man doesn't need a gun to rape a woman, a knife or even his bare hands will do.....and he could also just get friends to help...

A gun, on the other hand, is the best way for a woman to stop a rape.....the best tool, even better than a knife....

As the stories I listed show, a gun allows a woman to drive off not only a single man, but multiple male attackers even if they are armed.....
...and you miss the point. A gun only works if the woman has the time and/or opportunity to reach it and the will to use it to kill another human being. Interestingly enough, guns come second to eye gouging as the most effective way of preventing a rape according to your sources.

So in the interest of balance, how many women in America have been raped at gunpoint? Google it.

So I ask you...if you will answer...which is preferable...that a woman is raped, or that she have the ability to use a concealed or openly carried gun to stop it? Which do you want.....?

Here....some help....

However, most recent studies with improved methodology are consistently showing that the more forceful the resistance, the lower the risk of a completed rape, with no increase in physical injury. Sarah Ullman's original research (Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1998) and critical review of past studies (Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1997) are especially valuable in solidifying this conclusion.

I wish to single out one particular subtype of physical resistance: Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

First, a 1989 study (Furby, Journal of Interpersonal Violence) found that both male and female survey respondents judged a gun to be the most effective means that a potential rape victim could use to fend off the assault. Rape "experts" considered it a close second, after eye-gouging.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.) The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

Is there a specific term for your gun related OCD? Was someone from England mean to you when you were little? Inquiring minds want to know.

Here....some help....

Is there a specific term for your gun related OCD? Was someone from England mean to you when you were little? Inquiring minds want to know.
He needs to discredit the UK because it is an example of gun control working. He has started on Ireland recently as well.

Here....some help....

He needs to discredit the UK because it is an example of gun control working. He has started on Ireland recently as well.

He's just another obsessed gun nut. He, and those like him are the reason we need better gun control laws.

Here....some help....

He's just another obsessed gun nut. He, and those like him are the reason we need better gun control laws.
Is he a typical example or a real whacko ? I suspect the latter. And does he think that people actually read his cut nd paste rants ?

...and you miss the point. A gun only works if the woman has the time and/or opportunity to reach it and the will to use it to kill another human being. Interestingly enough, guns come second to eye gouging as the most effective way of preventing a rape according to your sources.

You don't know what you are talking about....

Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

-------

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together.

Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun.

Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.)

The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."

Here....some help....

How is gun control working in Britain when your gun crime rate is up 42% in London....and up 23% across England and Wales?

Meanwhile, gun crime in the U.S. is down 75%....

Here....some help....

Is he a typical example or a real whacko ? I suspect the latter. And does he think that people actually read his cut nd paste rants ?

You obviously do......

Here....some help....

How is gun control working in Britain when your gun crime rate is up 42% in London....and up 23% across England and Wales?

And your murder rate is up 30% in 5 years.

Here....some help....

Thanks to obama, because before he attacked police it was going down.....while more Americans owned and carried guns.....

And then you still have to get past the 1.1 million times a year Americans use their legal guns to save lives......criminals killing criminals in democrat party controlled cities is a problem in those tiny areas where it happens, meanwhile, Americans stop crime with their legal guns.....something that can't happen in Britain..where violence is up 95% in some areas...

Here....some help....

Thanks to obama, because before he attacked police it was going down.....while more Americans owned and carried guns.....

And then you still have to get past the 1.1 million times a year Americans use their legal guns to save lives......criminals killing criminals in democrat party controlled cities is a problem in those tiny areas where it happens, meanwhile, Americans stop crime with their legal guns.....something that can't happen in Britain..where violence is up 95% in some areas...

I can point out a synagogue and a yoga place where crime is up thousands of percentage points because of coward right wing gun nuts. Thanks to Trump.

I can point out a synagogue and a yoga place where crime is up thousands of percentage points because of coward right wing gun nuts. Thanks to Trump.

No... you can point out 2 gun free zones that were attacked by an evil individual who ignored all of your gun control laws...

You don't know what you are talking about....

Use of a weapon, and especially a firearm, is statistically a woman's best means of resistance, greatly enhancing her odds of escaping both rape and injury, compared to any other strategy of physical or verbal resistance. This conclusion is drawn from four types of information.

-------

Third, a recent paper (Southwick, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000) analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together.

Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun.

Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Fourth, we have two studies in the last 20 years that directly address the outcomes of women who resist attempted rape with a weapon. (Lizotte, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1986; Kleck, Social Problems, 1990.)

The former concludes,"Further, women who resist rape with a gun or knife dramatically decrease their probability of completion." (Lizotte did not analyze victim injuries apart from the rape itself.) The latter concludes that "resistance with a gun or knife is the most effective form of resistance for preventing completion of a rape"; this is accomplished "without creating any significant additional risk of other injury."
If only real life was a simple as this. Apparently in America, awash with guns, approximately 20% of American women experiance rape or serious sexual assault in their lifetime; guns don't seem to help much for those poor women.

No... you can point out 2 gun free zones that were attacked by an evil individual who ignored all of your gun control laws...

Probably because guns are so easy to get hold of over there; "evil individuals" seem to pop up with alarming regularity in mass shootings in America. Since 1996 we've had one mass shooting in the UK, how many mass shootings have you had in the USA in that time?

Here....some help....

Thanks to a right wing Conservative govermnent that cut Police funding, took 20,000 police officers off our streets and pursued ideological "austerity" policies that have increased poverty levels resulting in an increase in crime.

Forum List

Back