A question for NFL fans, old AND new.....

Who would you say is THE toughest NFL player you've seen, read or heard about? I used to think it was either Dick Butkus or Ray Nietzsche of the Packers. Until I read about Jack Youngblood, who played for the Rams in the 70's and 80's. He was a TOUGH defensive end. SO tough, that he BROKE HIS LEG in a game, and played the rest of the game with that broken leg. I'm not sure how early in the game he broke it, but I think I recall that it happened in the first half. He was a tough SOB throughout his career, and I believe he made quite a few All-Pro teams. So, who are YOUR toughest of the tough guys?

JACK LAMBERT, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Our players today are little pansies.

Jack would rearrange their pretty little faces for them.
Yep, Jack WAS one tough customer. Can you imagine if a player like Cam Newton were to come up against Lambert? He would most likely run STRAIGHT to the sideline, avoiding ANY contact.

In Jack's day, if you ran to the sideline to avoid contact, you got your ass chewed out. You fought for every inch.

I see guys now running to the sideline when they easily could have gotten another yard or two! In some cases, they might have beaten the tackle and run in for another ten yards or a TD! They don't even try.

When players started using the sideline to avoid hits, that was the beginning of the down-slide of professional football.

Jack's mother never made him any birthday cakes! He didn't need any.

View attachment 314153 View attachment 314154 View attachment 314155 View attachment 314156

Jack Lambert played at 220 which is tiny by today’s standards. 330 lb offensive linemen would push him aside.
But he WAS a great player when he played. The point about his weight is TOTALLY moot. He would most likely still kick the butts of players today who outweigh him BECAUSE of his toughness. You want to talk toughness? I saw Walter Payton, on several occasions, stiff arm linebackers who weighed 30-40 lbs.more, and knock their butts right out of the way. I believe Lambert would do the same to today's players.

F= m x a

Basic physics. Force equals mass times acceleration

More mass at a higher speed generates more force
Toughness has nothing to do with it.

Geez, you ARE an idiot. .....

You know it's true.
Today's players MAY be faster, but they're NOT tougher. Toughness IS the topic of discussion of this thread. And you KNOW the old school players WERE tougher, MUCH tougher.

I think you have a romantic view of the good ole days of the NFL

One of those old school players would not survive the year round workout routine of today’s players. Today’s players are huge. Those Pittsburgh legends played at 230-270 lbs and had nowhere near the strength and conditioning of today’s athlete.
But THEY were tougher, there's NO denying that.
I deny it.

Medical treatment is better today and so is the understanding of injuries. All players today play with pain. Getting your bell rung and getting back in the game two plays later is not tough......it is stupid.
Damn, rw, you, like Unkotare, just CAN'T admit that the old school players WERE tougher. Very sad.

You know it's true.
Today's players MAY be faster, but they're NOT tougher. Toughness IS the topic of discussion of this thread. And you KNOW the old school players WERE tougher, MUCH tougher.

One of those old school players would not survive the year round workout routine of today’s players. Today’s players are huge. Those Pittsburgh legends played at 230-270 lbs and had nowhere near the strength and conditioning of today’s athlete.
I deny it.

Medical treatment is better today and so is the understanding of injuries. All players today play with pain. Getting your bell rung and getting back in the game two plays later is not tough......it is stupid.
Damn, rw, you, like Unkotare, just CAN'T admit that the old school players WERE tougher. Very sad.
I am in my 60s, been watching the NFL for over 50 years. I saw Jim Brown play. Saw Johnny U and Dick Butkus

I have romantic memories of the stars of my youth. But in all honesty, no athlete in any sport from the 60s and 70s is better than those today

Today’s players are bigger, faster, stronger and better trained than the players I grew up with. Toughness is subjective. I don’t think anyone survives at a professional level without both mental and physical toughness

I deny it.

I am in my 60s, been watching the NFL for over 50 years. I saw Jim Brown play. Saw Johnny U and Dick Butkus

I have romantic memories of the stars of my youth. But in all honesty, no athlete in any sport from the 60s and 70s is better than those today

Today’s players are bigger, faster, stronger and better trained than the players I grew up with. Toughness is subjective. I don’t think anyone survives at a professional level without both mental and physical toughness
Damn, you're NOT going to give it up, are you? I'm done responding to you on this thread. Bye-bye!

I deny it.

Damn, you're NOT going to give it up, are you? I'm done responding to you on this thread. Bye-bye!
Guess you can’t handle intelligent debate

Guys were TOUGH in my day!

Last edited:
Who would you say is THE toughest NFL player you've seen, read or heard about? I used to think it was either Dick Butkus or Ray Nietzsche of the Packers. Until I read about Jack Youngblood, who played for the Rams in the 70's and 80's. He was a TOUGH defensive end. SO tough, that he BROKE HIS LEG in a game, and played the rest of the game with that broken leg. I'm not sure how early in the game he broke it, but I think I recall that it happened in the first half. He was a tough SOB throughout his career, and I believe he made quite a few All-Pro teams. So, who are YOUR toughest of the tough guys?
All the Players of the by-gone day were tough sons of bitches, because Bart Starr who had 3 cracked ribs still played in the playoff game. Back then it was the love of the game that made these gladiators play in the harshest conditions many with broken bones, cuts and concussions. Today it is all about the mighty dollar and when you see a "football, i think of the pansy soccer player" getting turf toe, and sitting out 3 or 4 games, because of it, what the fuck is turf toe? You can thank the liberals who introduced women into watch the game, because they, liberals and women want to tone down the violence we so loved. The crack of helmet on helmet would have the crowd oohing and awing as the two combatants would be sluggishly brought off the field, then the very next play be right back in. I dont watch football anymore, they should use flags or touch, with then the gays would really like that.

You ever play football? Ever have a concussion?
Back in the day, when the players played for the game, they got paid a whole lot less than the pansies of today. When the greed of the players started going through the roof, then it was the fans who had to pay the price. We see more and more empty seats, because soon the NFL will price themselves right out of the game....

You realize that any of the “pansies” of today - including the kickers- could dispatch the likes of you without spilling a drop of their beer, right?

Depends what you consider tough
Every NFL player plays with aches and pain.

Players today are taking harder hits from opponents who are bigger, faster and stronger than players in the old day.

Take one of those old timers to the weight room against one of today’s players.
NOT like they USED to play with aches and pains. Something like turf toe keeps pansy boy Cam Newton out for FOUR games? Are you kidding me, the old school players HAVE to be laughing at crap like this. Walter Payton, one of THE toughest players ever, missed ONE GAME in his entire 13 season career. So, for the most part, today's players are NOT as tough as the old players. This is my LAST word on this.

And today’s players would run circles around them and win every game by 5 touchdowns.
Geez, you ARE an idiot. .....

You know it's true.

There are a lot of very tough old guys in nursing homes, but that doesn’t mean they could win a football game or remain in one piece if run over by a freight train.

I deny it.

I would take that in a heartbeat. I would take the stadiums of the time. I would take the food they sold. I would take the prices to park. And the prices of tickets to go to games. I would take cable being in its near beginning where local sports was covered very well or on UHF. For today, sports for what you pay....is overrated. Hell, we are paying a part of our cable bills for ESPN, CBS and Fox sports channels and others for reruns at the moment. And it was over priced before. The major networks include their charges to cable companies with the sports we are not getting. Rebates I tell you. The cable companies won't give a dime back to their customers. The least they can do is give us a free movie service for a while like Starz or Showtime.

I deny it.

I would take that in a heartbeat. I would take the stadiums of the time. I would take the food they sold. I would take the prices to park. And the prices of tickets to go to games. I would take cable being in its near beginning where local sports was covered very well or on UHF. For today, sports for what you pay....is overrated. Hell, we are paying a part of our cable bills for ESPN, CBS and Fox sports channels and others for reruns at the moment. And it was over priced before. The major networks include their charges to cable companies with the sports we are not getting. Rebates I tell you. The cable companies won't give a dime back to their customers. The least they can do is give us a free movie service for a while like Starz or Showtime.
Be careful what you wish for.

Watching the NFL in the 60s and 70s on TV was not that great.
24 inch TV, color if you were rich.
Two cameras, maybe one or two replays during the game.
That neat yellow line showing the first down was not there.
Refs were not miked and you had to know hand signals to know what the penalty was.

Between plays, there was no replays or analysis, you got to look at the huddle.
Halftime was a stupid marching band.

No live updates of other games, no clock and score in the corner of the screen.

I’ll take today’s NFL

Want to talk old time stadiums?

Announcer just gave down and distance, old stadiums had bad echoes and bad sight lines. Most stadiums doubled as baseball stadiums and in the fall, you played over the baseball infield.
Those turf fields were torn up by mid season and mud and slop when it rained.

No Jumbotron replays of the action on the field

The food sucked but the beer was cheap

All the Players of the by-gone day were tough sons of bitches, because Bart Starr who had 3 cracked ribs still played in the playoff game. Back then it was the love of the game that made these gladiators play in the harshest conditions many with broken bones, cuts and concussions. Today it is all about the mighty dollar and when you see a "football, i think of the pansy soccer player" getting turf toe, and sitting out 3 or 4 games, because of it, what the fuck is turf toe? You can thank the liberals who introduced women into watch the game, because they, liberals and women want to tone down the violence we so loved. The crack of helmet on helmet would have the crowd oohing and awing as the two combatants would be sluggishly brought off the field, then the very next play be right back in. I dont watch football anymore, they should use flags or touch, with then the gays would really like that.

You ever play football? Ever have a concussion?
Back in the day, when the players played for the game, they got paid a whole lot less than the pansies of today. When the greed of the players started going through the roof, then it was the fans who had to pay the price. We see more and more empty seats, because soon the NFL will price themselves right out of the game....

You realize that any of the “pansies” of today - including the kickers- could dispatch the likes of you without spilling a drop of their beer, right?
Uhm, yeah, maybe, i doubt they would want to try. I am all full of surprises.

Announcer just gave down and distance, old stadiums had bad echoes and bad sight lines. Most stadiums doubled as baseball stadiums and in the fall, you played over the baseball infield.

I know all of that. But for the price, it was a better value. By far. And the astro turf in some stadiums was terrible also. For the price I demand that my team wins all the time. And I demand that all the games are exciting. That does not exist. Sports are supposed to be the domain of the working man. Te economics was much more affordable for a much larger percentage of the population back then. Reforms are needed in cable TV rules. If they won't do it, then the feds need to get involved. And they seem to be bought out by special interests. Once the sports networksbecome premium channels, sports costs will drop by necessity and going to the games will be more affordable. And it won;'t be nice for the major sports in that transition. Although Hockey might be the least affected.

I know all of that. But for the price, it was a better value. By far. And the astro turf in some stadiums was terrible also. For the price I demand that my team wins all the time. And I demand that all the games are exciting. That does not exist. Sports are supposed to be the domain of the working man. Te economics was much more affordable for a much larger percentage of the population back then. Reforms are needed in cable TV rules. If they won't do it, then the feds need to get involved. And they seem to be bought out by special interests. Once the sports networksbecome premium channels, sports costs will drop by necessity and going to the games will be more affordable. And it won;'t be nice for the major sports in that transition. Although Hockey might be the least affected.

I would just as soon not attend an NFL game and it’s not just the cost.
I can’t afford seats at the 50 yard line Mezzanine. The seats I get are going to be upper deck end zone.
The games I have been to, I watch the play from my point of view and then look at the Jumbotron to see what really happened.
I might as well watch at home on my 70 in HDTV, in my recliner, with a can of beer in my hand and more in the fridge.

Aluminum seats in the winter and trough urinals were not so great.

Aluminum seats in the winter and trough urinals were not so great.

I remember seeing those troughs when I was a kid......freaked me out

Forum List

Back