A question for NFL fans, old AND new.....

In college OJ Simpson was a work horse- I used to watch him play on TV- he was good!

Anymore I don't pay much attention to stick and ball sports- too much disappointment.

Who would you say is THE toughest NFL player you've seen, read or heard about? I used to think it was either Dick Butkus or Ray Nietzsche of the Packers. Until I read about Jack Youngblood, who played for the Rams in the 70's and 80's. He was a TOUGH defensive end. SO tough, that he BROKE HIS LEG in a game, and played the rest of the game with that broken leg. I'm not sure how early in the game he broke it, but I think I recall that it happened in the first half. He was a tough SOB throughout his career, and I believe he made quite a few All-Pro teams. So, who are YOUR toughest of the tough guys?

JACK LAMBERT, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Our players today are little pansies.

Jack would rearrange their pretty little faces for them.

Who would you say is THE toughest NFL player you've seen, read or heard about? I used to think it was either Dick Butkus or Ray Nietzsche of the Packers. Until I read about Jack Youngblood, who played for the Rams in the 70's and 80's. He was a TOUGH defensive end. SO tough, that he BROKE HIS LEG in a game, and played the rest of the game with that broken leg. I'm not sure how early in the game he broke it, but I think I recall that it happened in the first half. He was a tough SOB throughout his career, and I believe he made quite a few All-Pro teams. So, who are YOUR toughest of the tough guys?

Yep, Jack WAS one tough customer. Can you imagine if a player like Cam Newton were to come up against Lambert? He would most likely run STRAIGHT to the sideline, avoiding ANY contact.

In college OJ Simpson was a work horse- I used to watch him play on TV- he was good!

Anymore I don't pay much attention to stick and ball sports- too much disappointment.
Yep, O.J. WAS a pretty tough player and a tremendous runner. He was exciting to watch. He had good size, I believe he was listed as 216 lbs. during his career, and he was VERY quick and fast.

But admit it, the old guys WERE tougher. When you have someone like Cam Newton sit out 3 or 4 games because of something like TURF TOE, the newer guys are pansies compared to the old school players.

Depends what you consider tough
Every NFL player plays with aches and pain.

Players today are taking harder hits from opponents who are bigger, faster and stronger than players in the old day.

Take one of those old timers to the weight room against one of today’s players.
NOT like they USED to play with aches and pains. Something like turf toe keeps pansy boy Cam Newton out for FOUR games? Are you kidding me, the old school players HAVE to be laughing at crap like this. Walter Payton, one of THE toughest players ever, missed ONE GAME in his entire 13 season career. So, for the most part, today's players are NOT as tough as the old players. This is my LAST word on this.

And today’s players would run circles around them and win every game by 5 touchdowns.
And today’s players would run circles around them and win every game by 5 touchdowns.
Today's players would get hit one time, and fold up crying about how they got a hang nail, or turf toe.

Today's players are too big, too fast, too powerful, and too talented for the admittedly tougher older players. It would be a terribly lopsided affair.
But they are in NO way tougher. Why can't you admit this? Toughness IS the topic of this thread, please try to address it.

Larry Czonka, the only running back to ever get called for unnecessary roughness on a running play

Larry Czonka, the only running back to ever get called for unnecessary roughness on a running play
Thanks! I forgot about him. He WAS a beast, and would often have blood, his AND other players' on his uniform, before the game was over. I believe, other than Don Shula's great coaching, he was THE biggest reason the Dolphins won back to back Super Bowls in the 1970's.

Yep, Jack WAS one tough customer. Can you imagine if a player like Cam Newton were to come up against Lambert? He would most likely run STRAIGHT to the sideline, avoiding ANY contact.

In Jack's day, if you ran to the sideline to avoid contact, you got your ass chewed out. You fought for every inch.

I see guys now running to the sideline when they easily could have gotten another yard or two! In some cases, they might have beaten the tackle and run in for another ten yards or a TD! They don't even try.

When players started using the sideline to avoid hits, that was the beginning of the down-slide of professional football.

Jack's mother never made him any birthday cakes! He didn't need any.

jack.jpg
s-l1000.jpg
tempLambert_Jack_stare-nfl_mezz_1280_1024-1200x600.jpg
4e39c050acebdbe4e3980bf736fed12c.jpg

In Jack's day, if you ran to the sideline to avoid contact, you got your ass chewed out. You fought for every inch.

Jack played with Franco Harris.
I bet Jack chewed out Franco's ass on every game.

Depends what you consider tough
Every NFL player plays with aches and pain.

Players today are taking harder hits from opponents who are bigger, faster and stronger than players in the old day.

Take one of those old timers to the weight room against one of today’s players.
NOT like they USED to play with aches and pains. Something like turf toe keeps pansy boy Cam Newton out for FOUR games? Are you kidding me, the old school players HAVE to be laughing at crap like this. Walter Payton, one of THE toughest players ever, missed ONE GAME in his entire 13 season career. So, for the most part, today's players are NOT as tough as the old players. This is my LAST word on this.

Geez, you ARE an idiot. .....

You know it's true.
Today's players MAY be faster, but they're NOT tougher. Toughness IS the topic of discussion of this thread. And you KNOW the old school players WERE tougher, MUCH tougher.

I think you have a romantic view of the good ole days of the NFL

One of those old school players would not survive the year round workout routine of today’s players. Today’s players are huge. Those Pittsburgh legends played at 230-270 lbs and had nowhere near the strength and conditioning of today’s athlete.

I see guys now running to the sideline when they easily could have gotten another yard or two! In some cases, they might have beaten the tackle and run in for another ten yards or a TD! They don't even try.

When players started using the sideline to avoid hits, that was the beginning of the down-slide of professional football.

View attachment 314153 View attachment 314154 View attachment 314155 View attachment 314156

Discretion is the better part of valor. Today’s players learn to avoid unnecessary contact. In the game and on the practice field. Your body is a machine made of bone, tendons and muscles. Nobody’s brain is “tougher” than the next guys.

View attachment 314153 View attachment 314154 View attachment 314155 View attachment 314156

Jack Lambert played at 220 which is tiny by today’s standards. 330 lb offensive linemen would push him aside.

You know it's true.
Today's players MAY be faster, but they're NOT tougher. Toughness IS the topic of discussion of this thread. And you KNOW the old school players WERE tougher, MUCH tougher.

One of those old school players would not survive the year round workout routine of today’s players. Today’s players are huge. Those Pittsburgh legends played at 230-270 lbs and had nowhere near the strength and conditioning of today’s athlete.
But THEY were tougher, there's NO denying that.

I don't know about every play but Jack did in fact bitch about it to him.
Franco was one of the people who started that shit of "saving yourself" for the future if there was no likely gains.

Now today, the practice has grown to where they give up even obvious yards. How infrequent do they pretend to go for the sideline then try to fool the guy and cut around him! It's pretty rare.

Last edited:

Certainly there were a lot of 'ole time' tough guys. This is True.

Jack Lambert played at 220 which is tiny by today’s standards. 330 lb offensive linemen would push him aside.
But he WAS a great player when he played. The point about his weight is TOTALLY moot. He would most likely still kick the butts of players today who outweigh him BECAUSE of his toughness. You want to talk toughness? I saw Walter Payton, on several occasions, stiff arm linebackers who weighed 30-40 lbs.more, and knock their butts right out of the way. I believe Lambert would do the same to today's players.

Ronnie Lott had part of his finger chopped off so he could keep playing. There is no one tougher.

You know it's true.

But THEY were tougher, there's NO denying that.
I deny it.

Medical treatment is better today and so is the understanding of injuries. All players today play with pain. Getting your bell rung and getting back in the game two plays later is not tough......it is stupid.

I don't know about every play but Jack did in fact bitch about it to him.
Franco was one of the people who started that shit of "saving yourself" for the future if there was no likely gains.

Now today, the practice has grown to where they give up even obvious yards. How infrequent do they pretend to go for the dsideline then try to fool the guy and cut around him! It's pretty rare.
I remember when Franco did that towards the end of his career. It WAS pretty lame. Jim Brown was QUITE vocal about it, threatening to come back and play again if Franco broke his, at the time, all-time NFL record for rushing yardage. Franco did indeed break his record, but unfortunately Jim never suited up again.

Forum List

Back