A Great Movie for Christmas You Probably Never Heard Of

White Christmas with Bing Crosby. The movie was based on the all time popular song of the same name that was introduced in a different movie "Holliday Inn" also starring Bing and Fred Astair.
Holiday Inn may have given the world “White Christmas,” but that’s about all it has going for it. The plot is almost nonexistent. The characters were awful. Aside from “White Christmas” and “Happy Holiday” there really aren’t any memorable numbers. The rest of songs were second rate Irving Berlin numbers. And it's not really a Christmas movie. There is more about July 4th than Christmas and it totally lacks the warmth and good feelings you get from a good Christmas movie.
AND..I got so sick of the song "Sister". Over and over and over and over and over an over........

White Christmas with Bing Crosby. The movie was based on the all time popular song of the same name that was introduced in a different movie "Holliday Inn" also starring Bing and Fred Astair.
Holiday Inn may have given the world “White Christmas,” but that’s about all it has going for it. The plot is almost nonexistent. The characters were awful. Aside from “White Christmas” and “Happy Holiday” there really aren’t any memorable numbers. The rest of songs were second rate Irving Berlin numbers. And it's not really a Christmas movie. There is more about July 4th than Christmas and it totally lacks the warmth and good feelings you get from a good Christmas movie.
You can rely on the (often politically motivated) Academy Awards people to tell you what you you should like and you can hunt for deep philosophical meanings in holiday themed movies if you want but you ain't going to find them in "Holiday Inn" or "White Christmas" for that matter. It's best to sit back and enjoy them.

Last edited:
AND..I got so sick of the song "Sister". Over and over and over and over and over an over........
I think there are far better movies for Christmas. It' a Wonderful Life, Bells of St. Mary, The Apartment, The Christmas Chronicles, Since You Went Away, A Christmas Story, Miracle 34th Street (1947), Love Actually, Nation Lampoons Christmas Vacation, The Bishops Wife, The Shop Around the Corner, and A Christmas Carol (1951).

I think there are far better movies for Christmas. It' a Wonderful Life, Bells of St. Mary, The Apartment, The Christmas Chronicles, Since You Went Away, A Christmas Story, Miracle 34th Street (1947), Love Actually, Nation Lampoons Christmas Vacation, The Bishops Wife, The Shop Around the Corner, and A Christmas Carol (1951).
Nah. Not for me anyway. But you have to wear my moccassins to understand the whys and wherefores of my not agreeing with your opinion of "far better movies" for christmas.

To each his/her own.

Years ago HBO and Sho time and the rest of the movie channels were filled with good old and classic Christmas movies. This year I had to scroll past zombie and vampire movies and search hard to find the top four, "Christmas story", Scrooge (with Alastair Sim), It's a wonderful life, and N.L. Christmas vacation with Chevy Chase. I guess the movie people don't have to pretend that they respect Christmas any more.

Nah. Not for me anyway. But you have to wear my moccassins to understand the whys and wherefores of my not agreeing with your opinion of "far better movies" for christmas.

To each his/her own.
Agreed

Years ago HBO and Sho time and the rest of the movie channels were filled with good old and classic Christmas movies. This year I had to scroll past zombie and vampire movies and search hard to find the top four, "Christmas story", Scrooge (with Alastair Sim), It's a wonderful life, and N.L. Christmas vacation with Chevy Chase. I guess the movie people don't have to pretend that they respect Christmas any more.
Like most businesses, it's all about money. The way the industry makes money is not the same anymore. Making films to be streamed for the international market can be really profitable, especially with the closing of theaters. As with everything, Hollywood is not what it use to be. CGI has changed the way movies are made. There are no more multimillion dollar sets and casts of thousands. Most of what stuntmen did is handled through CGI. Buildings blowing up, plane crashes, and even car chases can be put together on a computer often far distant from the actual filming. Where you use to see just one logo, (Paramount, Warner, Universal, etc) at the beginning of a movie, there are now typical 3 to 5. Today you may see Disney or Sony or another entertainment company appearing first, then other investor groups, then the production company that actual makes the film, and finally the distribution companies. It all depends on the business deals that get struck to get the financing to make the movie and to get the movie produced and distributed.

Forum List

Back