Since You Went Away

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Since You Went Away is WWII movie about the Homefront, not the war. When housewife Anne Hilton's (Claudette Colbert) husband goes away to war, she must struggle on alone to raise their two daughters, Jane (Jennifer Jones) and Bridget (Shirley Temple). With a tight budget, Anne is forced to take in two lodgers, elderly ex-soldier Col. William G. Smollett (Monty Woolley) and handsome Lt. Tony Willet (Joseph Cotten). However, loyal maid Fidelia (Hattie McDaniel) stays on unpaid and the makeshift household pulls together through home front hardships.

The movie is overly sentimental at times but does give a good picture of homelike during the war with some very good performances. Selznick pulled out all the stops in creating the cast which includes Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Shirley Temple, Monty Wooley, Lionel Barrymore, Robert Walker, Hattie McDaniel, Agnes Moorehead, Alla Nazimova, Keenan Wynn, Guy Madison, Craig Stevens, Jackie Moran, George Chandler, Dorothy Dandridge, Rhonda Fleming, Terry Moore, Ruth Roman, and Butterfly McQueen

Trailer

Complete Movie

Last edited:
A similar theme about the home front during WWII is Mrs Miniver showing the ordeal of the British population during Dunkirk and the Blitz

1671570870543.jpeg

It was a pretty good movie but winner of 5 academy awards? It was promoted by the Office of War Information.

Very good movie

What was its competition?
That is what determines Academy Awards

Very good movie

What was its competition?
That is what determines Academy Awards
There were a lot of good nominations that year. I liked Yankee Doodle Dandy, Random Harvest, The Talk of the Town, and The Magnificent Ambersons better than Mrs. Miniver

The Pride of the Yankees
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Random Harvest
The Talk of the Town
Kings Row
Now, Voyager
The Magnificent Ambersons

The goverment War Information Office put a lot of pressure on Hollywood to produce war propaganda movies. The more propaganda in the movies the more helpful the goverment was in getting deferments of personnel, endorsements, access to government facilities, loans of actors serving in military, etc. I'm sure there was pressure in the awards to make sure propaganda films got their share of the awards. In fact most films that got awards were war propaganda films.

Last edited:
There were a lot of good nominations that year. I liked Yankee Doodle Dandy, Random Harvest, The Talk of the Town, and The Magnificent Ambersons better than Mrs. Miniver

The Pride of the Yankees
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Random Harvest
The Talk of the Town
Kings Row
Now, Voyager
The Magnificent Ambersons

The goverment War Information Office put a lot of pressure on Hollywood to produce war propaganda movies. The more propaganda in the movies the more helpful the goverment was in getting deferments of personnel, endorsements, access to government facilities, loans of actors serving in military, etc. I'm sure there was pressure in the awards to make sure propaganda films got their share of the awards. In fact most films that got awards were war propaganda films.

America was obsessed with the war. The whole world was.
A movie about the war was going to get more votes

I think Yankee Doodle Dandy and Ambersons are looked at better historically

America was obsessed with the war. The whole world was.
A movie about the war was going to get more votes

I think Yankee Doodle Dandy and Ambersons are looked at better historically
My Dad was in it so my Mom never went to the war movies and neither did I. I was a little kid during the war about 6 or 7. My Dad and my uncle were both serving. On our street most families had service flags in their window and a few had gold stars for those that died. I can remember rationing with my mother mixing coloring in margarine to make it look like butter, my older brother had model US planes hanging from the ceiling and my grandfather's map of Europe was on the wall in the living room. At six o'clock in the evening the news came on and sometimes Roosevelt gave his fireside chats. That was all boring and I just waited for the 7:00 radio programs.

Most people believe we were going to win the war but people really worried about the Japanese attacking. Not everyone was in favor of the war but there was a feeling that we were in it and had to win it. No war that followed was anything like WWII. It sounds a bit silly but people at home felt that it was their war. They supported it and made sacrifices. So when I post about the movie "Since You Went Away", I feel that I have a personal connection.

Today we fight wars and business is as usually at home. No one seems to care much.

Since You Went Away is WWII movie about the Homefront, not the war. When housewife Anne Hilton's (Claudette Colbert) husband goes away to war, she must struggle on alone to raise their two daughters, Jane (Jennifer Jones) and Bridget (Shirley Temple). With a tight budget, Anne is forced to take in two lodgers, elderly ex-soldier Col. William G. Smollett (Monty Woolley) and handsome Lt. Tony Willet (Joseph Cotten). However, loyal maid Fidelia (Hattie McDaniel) stays on unpaid and the makeshift household pulls together through home front hardships.

The movie is overly sentimental at times but does give a good picture of homelike during the war with some very good performances. Selznick pulled out all the stops in creating the cast which includes Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Shirley Temple, Monty Wooley, Lionel Barrymore, Robert Walker, Hattie McDaniel, Agnes Moorehead, Alla Nazimova, Keenan Wynn, Guy Madison, Craig Stevens, Jackie Moran, George Chandler, Dorothy Dandridge, Rhonda Fleming, Terry Moore, Ruth Roman, and Butterfly McQueen

Trailer

Complete Movie

It is a great classic.
haven't saw it in years

Forum List

Back