A Decision

You are a sick person. I feel for your niece. It wasn't her decision to kill the dog. She was young and in pain and you don't really know what happened. You blame something on the child that is the parent's fault. Your love for dogs has really colored your thinking. It's a DOG. Your grandniece is a PERSON fully deserving of your love and respect. What happened wasn't her fault.

I love dogs too, but they take a backseat to children in my universe and always will.

Oh, please, don't feel for my niece. She is a spoiled, rotten brat because too many people dote on her already.

Dogs don't take a backseat to children in my universe. You are clearly one of those people who say they "love dogs" but clearly don't really love dogs. You use the word "love" casually, don't you? And when it comes to dogs, well...they're "just dogs," isn't that what you think?

I don't say I love unless I mean it. I don't automatically love someone just because they're "a person." And respect, in case you hadn't heard, is earned.

I certainly don't value all humans over all animals. In fact, I have one dog who means more to me than 99% of the people I know.

Respect is a given in my universe. Disrespect is earned. You have earned my disrespect, you had my respect before you decided to blame an incident on your niece for which she is not responsible and had no control over.

Don't for one minute think I don't know what love of an animal means. Our last dog was with us for 20 years. She was a self taught service dog for my autistic son. Without her, raising my son would have been much much more difficult. She was his built in friend and protector. And during the last years of her life, when she was incontinent, we did not have her put down as many would. We cared for her as you do your elderly. Same with our cat that was with us for 20 years. When they died did I go out immediately and get replacements? No, because those animals cannot be replaced anymore than you can replace your child. Still if the choice came down to between my son and my dog, I will choose my son every time.

Don't tell me I don't know what love is...you are the one who withdrew your love from your niece due to circumstances beyond her control. She deserves better.

I didn't "withdraw" my love from her. I never really loved her in the first place because I hardly know her. She was at my house one time and my sister had a fit because I told the child to quit chasing the Dobermans. I mean, how dare I tell this child to stop doing something. I suggested that this might be a good time to teach her about exercising caution around dogs she doesn't know, but OMG, how dare I.

I recognize that it's not the child's fault that adults are indulging her too much, but she will still pay the price, and someday be that selfish adult that no one likes. Her pampered childhood will not be an excuse for her then. I understand she's being bullied in school...apparently she is already a bit unpopular.

Sorry, but whether you like it or not, what comes to mind when I think of her is that dog being dragged out back and shot. I would have taken the dog, for God's sake, they could have sent the dog to me.

Let me just put it this way, if the choice comes down to between your son and my dog in a burning building, I will get my dog out first. I'll help your son, too, okay, even risk myself doing it, but I'm going to save my dog first. She is not less than a human.

Last edited:
My sister had a Rottweiller and one day her granddaughter was at her house. The little girl grew up with the dog, there had never been any problem. My sister was doing something in the kitchen and the dog and granddaughter were in there. She had her back turned to them and suddenly the kid started screaming. My sister spun around and the kid's lip was ripped open and bleeding. It was a bad tear, they live in a small remote town and ended up medivacing the kid to the nearest town with a hospital.

Anyway, in the meantime, my sister's husband drags the dog out back and shoots him. This was supposedly their beloved, awesome Rottweiller who had fantastic papers and was a descendent of champions, blah, blah, blah. And they drag him out back and shoot him.

Meanwhile, the kid has arrived at the hospital and after inspecting and suturing the wound the doctor tells my sister it isn't really consistent with a dog bite. She didn't tell me a lot about it because she knew how disgusted I would be, but from what I can glean it appears that the stupid kid may have been horsing around with the dog and slammed her face against his teeth. In other words, if a full grown Rottweiller had actually bitten her, the damage would have been more significant. It wasn't a dog bite.

Too bad for Woodrow, he was already dead. Wonder what was going through his doggy mind when his owner put the gun to his head. Makes me want to puke.

That child is my grand niece, and everyone goes on and on about what a darling she is. But to me she is, and always will be, the kid who got the dog killed.

You can't blame the child. She was in pain, and to her, the dog DID cut her lip, she wouldn't have been able to say exactly what happened, which is probably why there was so much confusion.
The parents jumped to conclusions, yes, and they probably regret that - as they should, because they acted like reckless fools.
But just be happy that your little grand niece is okay - it could have been a lot worse.

Let me just put it this way, if the choice comes down to between your son and my dog in a burning building, I will get my dog out first. I'll help your son, too, okay, even risk myself doing it, but I'm going to save my dog first. She is not less than a human.

I can agree with you on that. My pet has more value than the life of a stranger - at least, when it comes to situations such as you have described.

Oh, please, don't feel for my niece. She is a spoiled, rotten brat because too many people dote on her already.

Dogs don't take a backseat to children in my universe. You are clearly one of those people who say they "love dogs" but clearly don't really love dogs. You use the word "love" casually, don't you? And when it comes to dogs, well...they're "just dogs," isn't that what you think?

I don't say I love unless I mean it. I don't automatically love someone just because they're "a person." And respect, in case you hadn't heard, is earned.

I certainly don't value all humans over all animals. In fact, I have one dog who means more to me than 99% of the people I know.

Respect is a given in my universe. Disrespect is earned. You have earned my disrespect, you had my respect before you decided to blame an incident on your niece for which she is not responsible and had no control over.

Don't for one minute think I don't know what love of an animal means. Our last dog was with us for 20 years. She was a self taught service dog for my autistic son. Without her, raising my son would have been much much more difficult. She was his built in friend and protector. And during the last years of her life, when she was incontinent, we did not have her put down as many would. We cared for her as you do your elderly. Same with our cat that was with us for 20 years. When they died did I go out immediately and get replacements? No, because those animals cannot be replaced anymore than you can replace your child. Still if the choice came down to between my son and my dog, I will choose my son every time.

Don't tell me I don't know what love is...you are the one who withdrew your love from your niece due to circumstances beyond her control. She deserves better.

I didn't "withdraw" my love from her. I never really loved her in the first place because I hardly know her. She was at my house one time and my sister had a fit because I told the child to quit chasing the Dobermans. I mean, how dare I tell this child to stop doing something. I suggested that this might be a good time to teach her about exercising caution around dogs she doesn't know, but OMG, how dare I.

I recognize that it's not the child's fault that adults are indulging her too much, but she will still pay the price, and someday be that selfish adult that no one likes. Her pampered childhood will not be an excuse for her then. I understand she's being bullied in school...apparently she is already a bit unpopular.

Sorry, but whether you like it or not, what comes to mind when I think of her is that dog being dragged out back and shot. I would have taken the dog, for God's sake, they could have sent the dog to me.

Yes, she is, that you don't understand that is sad for you. Choice between your dog and your niece and you would choose your dog and let your niece die. I would rescue a stranger first and then my dog. Can you imagine if a firefighter came and rescued your dog instead of you? I've had this discussion before, it's not worth my time. Nothing I say will sway you. Don't bother to answer me, I sure as heck won't waste my time trying to convince you that people always, always take preference over animals.

I can agree with you on that. My pet has more value than the life of a stranger - at least, when it comes to situations such as you have described.

Never. Your pet is not worth more than the life of a stranger. If such a situation occurs, what are you going to tell the family of that stranger? That your dog was worth more than their baby?

^to be fair, the comparison wasn't between his niece and his dog, it was between his dog and your son - a stranger.

Never. Your pet is not worth more than the life of a stranger. If such a situation occurs, what are you going to tell the family of that stranger? That your dog was worth more than their baby?

If your dog, and a person who has skipped bail on rape charges was in a burning building, I bet you'd get your dog out first. Thus, your animal is more important that that particular human life - yes?

If your dog, and a person who has skipped bail on rape charges was in a burning building, I bet you'd get your dog out first. Thus, your animal is more important that that particular human life - yes?

No, I'd save the person first always. Besides, how do you know the guy is guilty? Now if he was guilty of raping my niece, you wouldn't have to worry about a fire, he'd be dead before it started.

No, I'd save the person first always. Besides, how do you know the guy is guilty? Now if he was guilty of raping my niece, you wouldn't have to worry about a fire, he'd be dead before it started.

How do you know the guy is guilty? Go and read the Jodi Arias thread, no need to wait for a jury verdict, just make your decision!

I wouldn't save the person. If it was a convicted killer, I wouldn't save him/her either.
If it was someone I loved, then I would save them first, but I would go straight back in for my pet.

We treat our pets like members of the family. We have two male dogs and one female dog, and we refer to them as our children, brothers, and sisters. I could imagine treating my pet differently, but that's just me, I guess.

You don't get it. You don't get to tell me who is worth more to me. And to me, my beloved dog is MY baby. So, whether you approve or not, my dog (she's not a "pet") is worth more to me than a stranger.

And, of course, the same people who are always saying that no dog's life is more important than any human's life, are the same ones who are advocating horrible torture and death for pedophiles and baby rapers. So you're saying your faithful dog is worth less than some baby raper? That's ridiculous.

Noomi gets it.

Last edited:
The person whose comments immediately preceded my post. Is it really that hard to follow?

I'm confident that if you concentrate real hard you can master the intricate field of direct sequence.

Let's start calling each other names and casting aspersions on each others' characters because we disagree.

Yeah, that shows a lot of mental and moral soundness!

:lol:

You can call me anything you want, I still don't put human lives over animal lives in all instances. Actually, I think most people are like me to some degree and in some situations.

Let's start calling each other names and casting aspersions on each others' characters because we disagree.

Yeah, that shows a lot of mental and moral soundness!

:lol:

You can call me anything you want, I still don't put human lives over animal lives in all instances. Actually, I think most people are like me to some degree and in some situations.

You can only be judged by your own words here, and yours make it perfectly clear. You don't like it, choose different words or choose to get your shit together.

I'd like to know more.

Was the kid in the neighbor's yard? Was the dog running loose? Was the kid provoking the dog?

Too many unanswered questions.

The following answers all the question I'd need to make that decision

The boy reportedly suffered injuries to his face and other body parts, requiring surgery and 400 stitches.

Read more: Mansfield selectmen vote to euthanize dog that bit boy - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Put that lethal weapon down and let the civil lawsuit commence.

Whatever.

Because the kid or the parent just couldn't have any responsibility here right?

Sorry but if I had a kid there is no way I'd let it stay at a house with an aggressive dog,

Neither would I, but there is no way I'd ever keep an aggressive dog either, both the parent and the neighbor would fail.

Forum List

Back