A Decision

Its pretty much the norm. The dog will pay for the stupidity of its owner with its life. Good thing the boy was not killed. There should also be criminal charges of neglagence brought against the dogs owner for the simple fact that she knew there were food agression issues, and left the child unsupervised with the dog. At a minimum, a law suit should be brought against the dogs owner.

Spot on, early.

Its pretty much the norm. The dog will pay for the stupidity of its owner with its life. Good thing the boy was not killed. There should also be criminal charges of neglagence brought against the dogs owner for the simple fact that she knew there were food aggression issues, and left the child unsupervised with the dog. At a minimum, a law suit should be brought against the dogs owner.

Spot on, early.

In my opinion, at bottom the pet's owners are responsible. People should be raising and training their pets to avoid any kind of bad, non-social behavior, especially anything agressive or violent. That the parents left the child with these people: did the parents know the dog was aggressive or had food-aggressive behavior? Or, did they assume the dog was a mild mannered, sweet family pet? Very often, owners talk about what a nice, sweet animal their pet is and do not warn people about any bad behaviors their pet has.

The child was being watched by a teenage babysitter; teenagers are so often oblivious to so many things. I wouldn't leave my child with just any teenager. So, imo, the family of the child is at fault for not knowing if this was a truly responsible teenage babysitter.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was recently attacked by his own dog.
He beat it dead in his front yard. In front of the neighbors. Police called. No biggie. Case dismissed.

Five years ago, a stray attacked his neighbor's kids. This guy held off the dog until the cops arrived and shot it dead. He had severe lacerations to his arms. They awarded him a citation.

Sometimes you just don't put up with the puppy love bullshit. Send 'em across the bridge of rainbows. Done and gone.

Food aggression? What bullshit. When I got my 100lb pup and he had issues, I settled them. He might bite your fingers while giving him a treat, but I never left food out. How the heck can a food issue be present?

more to this story

dogs sometimes need to be put down and owners need to be beaten. I never liked dog owners. I'm against doggie parks. I'm against people who leave dogs alone for long periods of time

Most dog owners are complete assholes who think loving a dog is playing part of the pack, feeding them til they become obese. Dogs are not people and they do not think people are part of their pack

Its pretty much the norm. The dog will pay for the stupidity of its owner with its life. Good thing the boy was not killed. There should also be criminal charges of neglagence brought against the dogs owner for the simple fact that she knew there were food agression issues, and left the child unsupervised with the dog. At a minimum, a law suit should be brought against the dogs owner.

wtf is this food aggression issues? idiots! train the dog! train the dog!

Bingo. The dog will pay the price for an owners stupidity.

No way this dog should have been anywhere near the child. The dog should have been locked up as long as the child was in the house.

Stupidity abounds and pets pay the price.

If the attack was entirely unprovoked, then put the dog to sleep. If the kid did something to make the dog strike out, then let the dog live and teach the kid how to act around animals.

The child was greatly harmed by an animal. The choice may be sad, but it is obvious.

They would not have voted the way they did if there had not been some other past history or biting incidents.

in my opinion...all biters should be put down.

Really? My 10 pound miniature pinscher bit me on the finger a few days ago when I reached under the bed to pull him out (he was in trouble for something, I don't remember what). My fingernail is all black still. He bit my husband once too.

So you think I should put him down? Yeah, right.

What a wuss you are. I have a Doberman who snarls at me sometimes, maybe I should put her down, too. I don't think so.

Let me just say this, if you can't handle the possiblity of dog aggression, don't have a dog. Leave the dog-owning to those of us who can handle it.

I think more people should be "put down," maybe this would be a better world to live in.

Last edited:

wtf is this food aggression issues? idiots! train the dog! train the dog!

Dante, most people are too damn stupid to train a dog. Unfortunately, it's the dogs who pay the price for that, and that's the sad truth of the matter.

I'd like to know more.

Was the kid in the neighbor's yard? Was the dog running loose? Was the kid provoking the dog?

Too many unanswered questions.

The kid was 6 years old. If the dog didn't understand that and attacked to that point rather than a simple bite to get the child to leave him alone, then the dog deserves to die.
I don't care what the kid did to the dog. 6 years old is too young. Most dogs understand that a child is a child and have more patience and understanding. This dog didn't and worse, was allowed to do this by it's owners. Dangerous dogs should be kept confined or put down. Once they attack someone to this severity the only thing to do is put the dog down. Again, we're not talking about one little snap here.

In our neighborhood there was a dog that bit people twice, that we know of, the 2nd time the person had to have 57 stitches put in his hand. I don't think either incident was reported to Animal control and nothing was done about the dog. Then the dog attacked a young boy so badly the doctors didn't know if the boy was ever going to walk again. Finally the dog was put down. Had the dog been put down after the 57 stitches incident, then that last incident would never have happened. Some dogs are just vicious and should not be allowed around people. If you can't control your dog, don't have one.

I'd like to know more.

Was the kid in the neighbor's yard? Was the dog running loose? Was the kid provoking the dog?

Too many unanswered questions.

The following answers all the question I'd need to make that decision

The boy reportedly suffered injuries to his face and other body parts, requiring surgery and 400 stitches.

Read more: Mansfield selectmen vote to euthanize dog that bit boy - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Put that lethal weapon down and let the civil lawsuit commence.

Whatever.

Because the kid or the parent just couldn't have any responsibility here right?

Sorry but if I had a kid there is no way I'd let it stay at a house with an aggressive dog,

So I let my son be babysat by my next door neighbor whom I've known for years. The dog once bit someone that had been teasing him and I know about it. Then my friend leaves her dog alone with my kid and my kids ends up with over 400 stitches and endless surgeries and it's my fault? The dog has no responsibility? The dog's owner has no responsibility?

If this was your dog, would you be blaming the parent also? If this was my dog, he'd have already been put down, there sure as hell wouldn't have needed to be a hearing on it. I will not have a dog that vicious. I tend to go for the dogs that protect the children, not the dogs that attack them.

Food aggression? What bullshit. When I got my 100lb pup and he had issues, I settled them. He might bite your fingers while giving him a treat, but I never left food out. How the heck can a food issue be present?

more to this story

dogs sometimes need to be put down and owners need to be beaten. I never liked dog owners. I'm against doggie parks. I'm against people who leave dogs alone for long periods of time

Most dog owners are complete assholes who think loving a dog is playing part of the pack, feeding them til they become obese. Dogs are not people and they do not think people are part of their pack

I think it depends on the dogs and the owners, Dante. My five dogs think I am part of their pack, I have no doubt of that. I also have no doubt that they perceive me as the LEADER of their pack, and they love me for being a good, strong yet affectionate leader. If they do something wrong I can roar and send them all running to the furthest corners of the house, no doubt who is leader of the pack then. Yet I never hit them, no need for that. It's my tone and my attitude. And my possession of all the "stuff" also identifies me as THE BOSS.

I'm not "trying" to become a part of their pack, they are MY pack...and they know it.

And dogs WANT guidance and leadership. They want to be trained, they WANT to be good dogs. So many fucked up people ruin so many good dogs, it's really sad.

Last edited:
In my considerable experience with dogs I have learned that if a dog is aggressive most times it's the owner's fault and that an aggressive dog is not irredeemable.

It might be the owners fault, but I do not believe that the dog is redeemable once it has done that much damage to a child. It's a dog, I wouldn't take the chance that it would do the same thing again.

The kid plopped in the dog's face. The babysitter was not supervising properly. The parents let the kid go to the dog's house. The kid got bit. Negligence all around for the humans no doubt and misplaced blame. I have had rescues several times and they are a tricky bunch. They need more supervision, attention and training than dogs that have lived in a stable environment.

Killing the dog is not the answer, moving him to a more responsible owner is the answer.

“I came in and Milo was on the couch and then on top of the couch and then Christian plopped down in front of his face,” 15-year-old Heather Bailey said. That’s when Milo, the dog her family rescued, bit Christian Miller, the next door neighbor Heather was babysitting. “I feel so bad, She says her dog had never shown such aggression and hasn’t since. “He’s loving. He’s affectionate,” she said. Mansfield Selectmen To Decide Fate Of Dog That Attacked Boy « CBS Boston

We're not talking a bite because the kid got in the dog's way. We're talking a full on attack with 400 stitches. That not is irredeemable and even if it's not, I wouldn't take the chance. Put it down.

more to this story

I think it depends on the dogs and the owners, Dante. My five dogs think I am part of their pack, I have no doubt of that. I also have no doubt that they perceive me as the LEADER of their pack, and they love me for being a good, strong yet affectionate leader. If they do something wrong I can roar and send them all running to the furthest corners of the house, no doubt who is leader of the pack then. Yet I never hit them, no need for that. It's my tone and my attitude. And my possession of all the "stuff" also identifies me as THE BOSS.

I'm not "trying" to become a part of their pack, they are MY pack...and they know it.

And dogs WANT guidance and leadership. They want to be trained, they WANT to be good dogs. So many fucked up people ruin so many good dogs, it's really sad.

My last dog, we couldn't yell at her in the house, she'd pee. She knew who was boss and it wasn't her. Still, she was my son Andrew's dog. He's very low functioning autism. That dog would pull him down if he tried to climb the fence. She'd bark if he left the yard. They would walk back and forth in the back yard, one following the other, I still have the trail and the dog passed a couple of years ago. She was with us for 20 years. If the dog in the story had been our dog, no doubt Andrew would have been getting all those stitches and surgery. I would never have that type of dog, I would never let that type of dog near children. And I'm not talking breed here, I'm talking personality type.

My sister had a Rottweiller and one day her granddaughter was at her house. The little girl grew up with the dog, there had never been any problem. My sister was doing something in the kitchen and the dog and granddaughter were in there. She had her back turned to them and suddenly the kid started screaming. My sister spun around and the kid's lip was ripped open and bleeding. It was a bad tear, they live in a small remote town and ended up medivacing the kid to the nearest town with a hospital.

Anyway, in the meantime, my sister's husband drags the dog out back and shoots him. This was supposedly their beloved, awesome Rottweiller who had fantastic papers and was a descendent of champions, blah, blah, blah. And they drag him out back and shoot him.

Meanwhile, the kid has arrived at the hospital and after inspecting and suturing the wound the doctor tells my sister it isn't really consistent with a dog bite. She didn't tell me a lot about it because she knew how disgusted I would be, but from what I can glean it appears that the stupid kid may have been horsing around with the dog and slammed her face against his teeth. In other words, if a full grown Rottweiller had actually bitten her, the damage would have been more significant. It wasn't a dog bite.

Too bad for Woodrow, he was already dead. Wonder what was going through his doggy mind when his owner put the gun to his head. Makes me want to puke.

That child is my grand niece, and everyone goes on and on about what a darling she is. But to me she is, and always will be, the kid who got the dog killed.

Last edited:
My sister had a Rottweiller and one day her granddaughter was at her house. The little girl grew up with the dog, there had never been any problem. My sister was doing something in the kitchen and the dog and granddaughter were in there. She had her back turned to them and suddenly the kid started screaming. My sister spun around and the kid's lip was ripped open and bleeding. It was a bad tear, they live in a small remote town and ended up medivacing the kid to the nearest town with a hospital.

Anyway, in the meantime, my sister's husband drags the dog out back and shoots him. This was supposedly their beloved, awesome Rottweiller who had fantastic papers and was a descendent of champions, blah, blah, blah. And they drag him out back and shoot him.

Meanwhile, the kid has arrived at the hospital and after inspecting and suturing the wound the doctor tells my sister it isn't really consistent with a dog bite. She didn't tell me a lot about it because she knew how disgusted I would be, but from what I can glean it appears that the stupid kid may have been horsing around with the dog and slammed her face against his teeth. In other words, if a full grown Rottweiller had actually bitten her, the damage would have been more significant. It wasn't a dog bite.

Too bad for Woodrow, he was already dead. Wonder what was going through his doggy mind when his owner put the gun to his head. Makes me want to puke.

That child is my grand niece, and everyone goes on and on about what a darling she is. But to me she is, and always will be, the kid who got the dog killed.

You are a sick person. I feel for your niece. It wasn't her decision to kill the dog. She was young and in pain and you don't really know what happened. You blame something on the child that is the parent's fault. Your love for dogs has really colored your thinking. It's a DOG. Your grandniece is a PERSON fully deserving of your love and respect. What happened wasn't her fault.

I love dogs too, but they take a backseat to children in my universe and always will.

You are a sick person. I feel for your niece. It wasn't her decision to kill the dog. She was young and in pain and you don't really know what happened. You blame something on the child that is the parent's fault. Your love for dogs has really colored your thinking. It's a DOG. Your grandniece is a PERSON fully deserving of your love and respect. What happened wasn't her fault.

I love dogs too, but they take a backseat to children in my universe and always will.

Oh, please, don't feel for my niece. She is a spoiled, rotten brat because too many people dote on her already.

Dogs don't take a backseat to children in my universe. You are clearly one of those people who say they "love dogs" but clearly don't really love dogs. You use the word "love" casually, don't you? And when it comes to dogs, well...they're "just dogs," isn't that what you think?

I don't say I love unless I mean it. I don't automatically love someone just because they're "a person." And respect, in case you hadn't heard, is earned.

I certainly don't value all humans over all animals. In fact, I have one dog who means more to me than 99% of the people I know.

Last edited:

Oh, please, don't feel for my niece. She is a spoiled, rotten brat because too many people dote on her already.

Dogs don't take a backseat to children in my universe. You are clearly one of those people who say they "love dogs" but clearly don't really love dogs. You use the word "love" casually, don't you? And when it comes to dogs, well...they're "just dogs," isn't that what you think?

I don't say I love unless I mean it. I don't automatically love someone just because they're "a person." And respect, in case you hadn't heard, is earned.

I certainly don't value all humans over all animals. In fact, I have one dog who means more to me than 99% of the people I know.

Respect is a given in my universe. Disrespect is earned. You have earned my disrespect, you had my respect before you decided to blame an incident on your niece for which she is not responsible and had no control over.

Don't for one minute think I don't know what love of an animal means. Our last dog was with us for 20 years. She was a self taught service dog for my autistic son. Without her, raising my son would have been much much more difficult. She was his built in friend and protector. And during the last years of her life, when she was incontinent, we did not have her put down as many would. We cared for her as you do your elderly. Same with our cat that was with us for 20 years. When they died did I go out immediately and get replacements? No, because those animals cannot be replaced anymore than you can replace your child. Still if the choice came down to between my son and my dog, I will choose my son every time.

Don't tell me I don't know what love is...you are the one who withdrew your love from your niece due to circumstances beyond her control. She deserves better.

Forum List

Back