A Chicken In Every Pot...Er, Back Yard In Texas

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
'Forget the old phrase (misattributed to Herbert Hoover, by the way), “a chicken in every pot,” as egg prices continue to soar across America, several new bills recently introduced in the Texas Legislature would allow residents of the Lone Star State to have chickens in “every” backyard.'

I often see things other people don't. Case in point: 'The Texas legislature is trying to pass a law to allow families to have their own chicken to get eggs in an attempt to counter the rising cost of eggs.

What I read is that in Texas families do not currently have the legal right to own their own chickens because the govt has not given them permission...

Excuse me?

I live in a city, within city limits, and my neighbor has 4 chickens. She gets about a dozen eggs a week, and I am a recipient of some of those eggs from time to time.

There is no law saying she can't have chickens or needs the local govt's permission to have them. Why isn't this the case in Texas already?

(I was actually shocked to hear a mule breying somewhere nearby in my neighborhood as I stood out on my deck the other evening.)

Some HOAs don't allow livestock.
Chickens can be loud and stinky.
Anybody who lives in an HOA or even a zoned area, other than agricultural, is nothing more than an oxygen thief and burden to the planet . My neighbor agrees ;) :stir::flameth:
DSCN4810.JPG

What I read is that in Texas families do not currently have the legal right to own their own chickens because the govt has not given them permission...

Excuse me?

I live in a city, within city limits, and my neighbor has 4 chickens. She gets about a dozen eggs a week, and I am a recipient of some of those eggs from time to time.

They are called zoning laws. The same laws that stop a meat packing plant from building next to your house.

You do know there's a huge difference between the 2, right?

Yes there is. And every city is different in what they allow.

I personally disagree with the state Govt telling cities they have to allow it. Should be up to the locals

My brother lives in a small town near Amarillo and has a couple chickens. They don't lay eggs; they're just pets.

Drumstick and Miss Prissy.

Is 33 cents an egg for brown free range eggs really hurting anyone?

This is the thing you people are stuck whining about?

View attachment 761404
Yeah, I don’t like paying higher prices for eggs. Or anything else.

But I don’t get why everyone is losing their shit over egg prices.

I eat about 6 eggs a day and I can’t say it’s affected me financially in any way. Even the cumulative effect of grocery inflation is more an annoyance than an actual burden.

God help you all if *real* economic hardship ever comes to America.

'Forget the old phrase (misattributed to Herbert Hoover, by the way), “a chicken in every pot,” as egg prices continue to soar across America, several new bills recently introduced in the Texas Legislature would allow residents of the Lone Star State to have chickens in “every” backyard.'

I often see things other people don't. Case in point: 'The Texas legislature is trying to pass a law to allow families to have their own chicken to get eggs in an attempt to counter the rising cost of eggs.

Excuse me?

There is no law saying she can't have chickens or needs the local govt's permission to have them. Why isn't this the case in Texas already?

(I was actually shocked to hear a mule breying somewhere nearby in my neighborhood as I stood out on my deck the other evening.)

Got goat's, chicken's, duck's, and all that good stuff in my back yard... It's the way we roll in the south. Oh and we heat with wood, got freezer's full of deer meat, so all is good brother..

They do not have to be that way. Some are, most are not
What actual purpose do they serve? Getting their panties in a knot over a truck being fixed in the yard or over yellow grass doesn’t count as a purpose.

Now, if they actually advocated for the other residents that would be another story.

What actual purpose do they serve? Getting their panties in a knot over a truck being fixed in the yard or over yellow grass doesn’t count as a purpose.

Now, if they actually advocated for the other residents that would be another story.

They keep your neighbor from having 27 trucks in the yard or painting their house pink and purple or having cows grazing in the back yard.

We had a house built that we moved into in Oct. It is in a neighborhood with a HOA. Before we signed the contract on the house we got the by-laws and read them front to back. There was nothing that is not allowed that I would want to do or that is over the top. Just basic stuff to increase the value of the property.

At the annual HOA meeting I volunteered to be the Treasurer as the previous one had moved. I ended up doing it as I was the one with experience with spreadsheets and other software. About 80% of our HOA fees goes to lawn maintenance, as it is covered by the HOA. It was something I was looking for as I have been mowing grass for 40 years and just did not feel like doing it any longer.

They keep your neighbor from having 27 trucks in the yard or painting their house pink and purple or having cows grazing in the back yard.

We had a house built that we moved into in Oct. It is in a neighborhood with a HOA. Before we signed the contract on the house we got the by-laws and read them front to back. There was nothing that is not allowed that I would want to do or that is over the top. Just basic stuff to increase the value of the property.

At the annual HOA meeting I volunteered to be the Treasurer as the previous one had moved. I ended up doing it as I was the one with experience with spreadsheets and other software. About 80% of our HOA fees goes to lawn maintenance, as it is covered by the HOA. It was something I was looking for as I have been mowing grass for 40 years and just did not feel like doing it any longer.

I agree with Jase.... LoL...

That's why you don't go after the fancy living bull crap, because life is better in the country.... If you ain't living in the country, then you ain't living..

Another example of not living in the suburbs... We got natural Christmas in the country..

Forum List

Back