A beautiful quote

Colin norris

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2021
Here's a nice piece by Hitchens about morals etc coming from God.

We do not believe in heaven or hell, yet no statistic will ever find without these blandishments and threats we commit more crimes s of violence and greed than the faithful. In fact, if a proper statistical inquiry could ever be made , i am sure the evidence would be the other way.
We are reconciled to living only once. We speculate that it is at least possible that, once people accepted the fact of their short and struggling lives, they might behave better towards each other and not worse.
We believe an ethical life can be lived without religion. And we know for a fact the corollary holds true - that religion has caused innumerable people not to conduct themselves no better than others, but to award themselves permission to behave in ways that would make a brother keeper or an ethnic cleanser raise an eyebrow.

Pretty good isn't it?

Karl Sagan once said, if you think you are only on earth to serve God, kill yourself and see if that proves there is no god.

The lovely voltaire chimed in with this beauty.

Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

Another which is without doubt.

The Bible. That is what fools have written, what imbeciles commend, what rogues teach and young children are made to learn by heart.

Enjoy comrades.

We do not believe in heaven or hell, yet no statistic will ever find without these blandishments and threats we commit more crimes s of violence and greed than the faithful. In fact, if a proper statistical inquiry could ever be made , i am sure the evidence would be the other way.
We are reconciled to living only once. We speculate that it is at least possible that, once people accepted the fact of their short and struggling lives, they might behave better towards each other and not worse.
We believe an ethical life can be lived without religion. And we know for a fact the corollary holds true - that religion has caused innumerable people not to conduct themselves no better than others, but to award themselves permission to behave in ways that would make a brother keeper or an ethnic cleanser raise an eyebrow.

Pretty good isn't it?

Not going to debate its merits just the title:
BEAUTIFUL? what part? this is a rant and if you are a white liberal then I can see where/how one would find beauty in it, but if one were to make a similar attempt at a mean ugly piece the above rant would do nicely as an example.

Karl Sagan once said, if you think you are only on earth to serve God, kill yourself and see if that proves there is no god.

Does "C"arl Sagan know he spells his name wrong?
as for the quote where do I begin? Is this the right Sagan? [I looked through some of his religious quotes on god and found nothing but it was by no means thorough]

And the wording of the quote is certainly not that of an academic, its comes across as a mean spirited knock off you'd find on the internet, a type of directionless paraphrase to embarrass such an intelligent man, combine that with his misspelled name you can see why some research might want to be done on this

Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

The Bible. That is what fools have written, what imbeciles commend, what rogues teach and young children are made to learn by heart.
And the one you somehow missed:

"The more I study science, the more I believe in God." ~ Albert Einstein

the atheist need not a religion nor anyone else and both fool themselves including the religious who fail to accept life is not from their own making nor their decision but from the metaphysical heavens - given with the only choice as to its termination if sadly deemed prior to the physiological, physical expiration that may or may not include the spiritual component unique to each individual.

and the means to free the spirit for however long it may persist of its own accord. by means of purity, the triumph of good vs evil for the spark before or after the physiology expires.

And the one you somehow missed:

"The more I study science, the more I believe in God." ~ Albert Einstein
8b1730c720140688f8cd63b619eb9dbd.jpg

the atheist need not a religion nor anyone else and both fool themselves including the religious who fail to accept life is not from their own making nor their decision but from the metaphysical heavens - given with the only choice as to its termination if sadly deemed prior to the physiological, physical expiration that may or may not include the spiritual component unique to each individual.

and the means to free the spirit for however long it may persist of its own accord. by means of purity, the triumph of good vs evil for the spark before or after the physiology expires.
Atheism is as dogmatic as any other religion.

Pretty good isn't it?

Enjoy comrades.

What a fat pant's load.

Forum List

Back