Zone1 84 years ago today

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Oscar history was made.

1709229924939.png

It would be 24 years later before an African-American didn’t win a competitive Oscar again, until the best actor award went to Sidney Poitier for "Lillies of the Field" (1963).

I remember her touching acceptance speech.

One particular sentence would make people today cringe.

Furthermore, she was not seated at the table with the other stars of "Gone with the Wind."

Thanks to the OP for letting us remember her.

I tried to find the Drama movie she was in but it was not listed she had a daughter who turned her back on her and passed for white and hung out with the wealthy but when Hattie's character dies her daughter hangs on to her coffin crying all the way to the cemetery. The women in my family loved that movie but I couldn't find it or remember the Title.

I tried to find the Drama movie she was in but it was not listed she had a daughter who turned her back on her and passed for white and hung out with the wealthy but when Hattie's character dies her daughter hangs on to her coffin crying all the way to the cemetery. The women in my family loved that movie but I couldn't find it or remember the Title.
Imitation of Life?

I remember her touching acceptance speech.

One particular sentence would make people today cringe.

Furthermore, she was not seated at the table with the other stars of "Gone with the Wind."

Thanks to the OP for letting us remember her.

Something like, she was a "credit to her race"?

This movie reminded me of why a parent should love their children, but never make the mistake of loving them too much. Love them just enough to let them go. They always say start with the end in mind.

Thanks for posting this thread it was refreshing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back