$65/hour to cut grass is example of why jobs go off-shore...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
The experts tell us there are at least 3 primary reasons manufacturing jobs go offshore and labor costs is one of them.
And the following is an example of labor unions killing the golden goose !
Take grass cutting.
As defined by the current United Auto Worker contract negotiated with the "Big Five" (GM, Ford, Chrysler, and top parts makers Delphi and Visteon),
an auto "production worker" is a job description that covers anything from mowing grass to cleaning the toilets.
In the real world, these jobs would be outsourced to $8 an hour, no-benefit wage earners, but on Planet Big Five, these jobs get the same wages
as any auto line-worker: an average $26 an hour ($60,000 a year) plus benefits that bring the company's total cost per worker to a staggering $65 an hour."[/I]
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070924073107AAuGk8O

There is a real three-fold reason to offshore production:
Lower labor rates,
lower bill of material costs and an
indefinite deferral of corporate income taxes.
One other significant reason for offshoring is the assistance provided by the Asian countries to acquire and build factories at very low costs, reduced environmental regulations, health and safety regulations and very business friendly perks for doing business in Asia.

US corporations save over $100 billion a year in direct labor costs from offshoring production (on 2.4 million jobs transferred from the USA.) On a worldwide basis, corporations have accumulated over $20 trillion in deferred tax benefits as well. It’s good business to do what these corporations have done.

PRIMARY REASONS TO OFFSHORE PRODUCTION

Why would someone from China make the weekly commute just to mow my lawn? :dunno:

I'll cut your grass for 60/hr, and "cut your grass" is not a euphemism for anything else imagined or inferred! :lol:

Deport illegals and that's what you will be paying (if you're lucky) to have an American cut your grass.

Best means to solve this issue..... Tell companies they need to be American (entire company operation inside the US) or foreign (not allowed to do business in the US). They can make their choice and live with it.

The experts tell us there are at least 3 primary reasons manufacturing jobs go offshore and labor costs is one of them.
And the following is an example of labor unions killing the golden goose !
Take grass cutting.
As defined by the current United Auto Worker contract negotiated with the "Big Five" (GM, Ford, Chrysler, and top parts makers Delphi and Visteon),
an auto "production worker" is a job description that covers anything from mowing grass to cleaning the toilets.
In the real world, these jobs would be outsourced to $8 an hour, no-benefit wage earners, but on Planet Big Five, these jobs get the same wages
as any auto line-worker: an average $26 an hour ($60,000 a year) plus benefits that bring the company's total cost per worker to a staggering $65 an hour."[/I]
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070924073107AAuGk8O

There is a real three-fold reason to offshore production:
Lower labor rates,
lower bill of material costs and an
indefinite deferral of corporate income taxes.
One other significant reason for offshoring is the assistance provided by the Asian countries to acquire and build factories at very low costs, reduced environmental regulations, health and safety regulations and very business friendly perks for doing business in Asia.

US corporations save over $100 billion a year in direct labor costs from offshoring production (on 2.4 million jobs transferred from the USA.) On a worldwide basis, corporations have accumulated over $20 trillion in deferred tax benefits as well. It’s good business to do what these corporations have done.

PRIMARY REASONS TO OFFSHORE PRODUCTION

Welcome to capitalism. Not quit shirking and get working (cracks whip.)

Lousy proles. ;)

Deport illegals and that's what you will be paying (if you're lucky) to have an American cut your grass.

My neighbor claims to charge 1 dollar per minute to cut grass. Of course a lot of time is eaten up in traveling so to him it is less.

I have 3/4 of an acre of which maybe half is grass. They come once a week, two guys. One on the big mower the other with the weed whacker and blower.

They take about half an hour and charge me $45.

So I'm paying $90 an hour to get my grass cut, and be more than happy to pay that $65.

omg What utter BULLSHIT.. Not once has an illegal taken care of my yard.. NOT ONCE.. nor my father's.. You fucking liberals and your lies are pathetic.

The great thing about employing Illegals is that we get to pay them low wages and someone else gets to foot the bill for all the Social Services they use.

Yes other countries pay their workers something they cannot live on, have reduced environmental regulations..have you seen the air in China? Yes less safety regulations(workers are expendable).

I guess it all comes down to how you view your laborers. I view them as practically family when they worked for me. Some look at labor as no more than an overhead cost.

I have 3/4 of an acre of which maybe half is grass. They come once a week, two guys. One on the big mower the other with the weed whacker and blower.

So I'm paying $90 an hour to get my grass cut, and be more than happy to pay that $65.

65 was for one person. You willing to pay 130?

Two reasons that it's so expensive.

1. The market dictates what the price is
2. The overhead costs for landscapers is high. Costs of fuel and equipment.

If you want to reduce the cost, find yourself a teenager and pay him $20 to cut your lawn.

Lower wages won't save the jobs. They're putting self-service checkouts in retail stores where the human cashiers are already making low wages.

You are paying a business...the OP is talking about a hired man running company equipment as a job.

I'll bet you one weeks mowing that the owner of the mowing service you contract with doesn't pay the guys who mow your yard $65 total compensation an hour each.

To be equatable to the OP, you would have to pay someone $65 per hour total compensation to mow your yard on your mower, using your gas, under you insurance.

Last edited:

omg What utter BULLSHIT.. Not once has an illegal taken care of my yard.. NOT ONCE.. nor my father's.. You fucking liberals and your lies are pathetic.

So?

Just because you don't, doesn't mean that a good number of people do use illegals to cut their grass.

Get out of the bubble once in a while and look around.

I was thinking the same thing. Had a guy quote me 50 bucks for cutting a yard that takes me 1/2 hour. Maybe 40 minutes.

100.00 dollars an hour ain't bad money if you can get it. I don't care where you are from.

The great thing about employing Illegals is that we get to pay them low wages and someone else gets to foot the bill for all the Social Services they use.

Exactly right. Illegals are not buying health insurance and they cannot afford the many children they have so they very happily take food stamps and Medicaid.

And jobs aren't being outshored to places that pay $8 an hour, but rather $0.25 to $0.50 an hour. Minimum wage in Mexico is about $4.50 a day which is why the maquilas are there. Why pay an American $15 an hour when they can get workers for $0.50 or less?

Forum List

Back