600,000 Still Without Power in Florida

One%20sick%20puppy-S.jpg
Who in the hell do you think pays for claims against the govt. issued insurance for high-risk areas

I know this will not be a popular position, but people really need to think twice about rebuilding at all.

And if they do they should take a lesson from places like Okinawa that get hit by typhoons every year and go for function over style.
Actually, newer structures built subject to strict building codes did very well.

The beaches should be a place to visit, not live.

Who in the hell do you think pays for claims against the govt. issued insurance for high-risk areas
Insurance companies. Who do you think pays? You don't even know the cost to a homeowner of a house on the coast of Florida. I am NOT even hinting that it should be lower. I have been a Realtor near the coast of Florida for over 45 years. If someone can afford a half million dollars or any home on the coast, they can afford the insurance, regardless of cost.

I fully realize that educating yourself on the topics you hourly fulminate about is out of the question. For you, we all recognize that ignorance is bliss! :D

Republican run state
Thank God, Ron DeSantis is in charge instead of Joe Biden, Sealy! I've never seen a response to a hurricane as well run as this one has been. I got power back in two days and I'm in Fort Myers. You can't drive a quarter mile on a highway down here and not pass a couple line trucks. They've got stores opens with generators...giving out food and water all over the place. Already starting construction of bridges out to Pine Island. They're promising that 95% of people will have power restored by Friday which is downright amazing.

People are criticized for building on a floodplain and then wanting the Govt to help them when it floods, but nobody says that about these houses on the beach.
With all due respect...if people weren't allowed to build on floodplains, GG there really wouldn't be much construction in Florida! It's flat! Really flat! I'm nowhere near water and storm surge came within two hundred yards of my house.

With the amount of damage across the state, no reasonable person could think all power should now be restored. Number of homes demolished...are they counted in this number? It is quite a remarkable thing that so much has already been restored and thanks should be given to those locally and those who came from other states to help.

Thank God, Ron DeSantis is in charge instead of Joe Biden, Sealy! I've never seen a response to a hurricane as well run as this one has been. I got power back in two days and I'm in Fort Myers. You can't drive a quarter mile on a highway down here and not pass a couple line trucks. They've got stores opens with generators...giving out food and water all over the place. Already starting construction of bridges out to Pine Island. They're promising that 95% of people will have power restored by Friday which is downright amazing.
You're 110% correct!

We moved to Miami in 1954. I was nine years old. We lived through many hurricanes there but we left years before Andrew. I then survived one in Key West and several more here in Tallahassee. After Hurricane Kate came through Tallahassee, it took our county TWO YEARS, literally for them to pick up all the downed trees and branches.

Thus far, President (I mean) Governor DeSantis is doing an exemplary job.

With the amount of damage across the state, no reasonable person could think all power should now be restored. Number of homes demolished...are they counted in this number? It is quite a remarkable thing that so much has already been restored and thanks should be given to those locally and those who came from other states to help.
he's done a fantastic job.

Dems should be cheering, Ft. Meyers area is now totally green…
As a trial run for what things would be like if Florida went to all electric cars like California this hurricane is a perfect illustration of why you'd be FUBARED if you needed to evacuate and your only vehicle was an EV! Limited range! No power to charge your EV? Hours long charging times if you could find power! You literally would be better off walking!

They likely have insurance for their homes, to rebuild them, but won't be able to get coverage for their rebuilt new home???

Should cost a pretty penny, for new coverage...?

So, that could affect a rebuild?

Depends on how leveraged the insurance companies are, and how concentrated the various companies were in the area. The whole point of insurance is spread risk, so if they did it right the rest of the places not hit by flooding this year should handle it.

Forum List

Back