$500 Fee for NOT owning a GUN

Gatekeeper

Nov 11, 2009
New Jersey
Since the constitution declares we have a right to own a gun, then the government should buy us all one. Government pays for all kinds of other crap that is unconstitutional. It is time they pay for the ones that are guaranteed by the constitution.

I'm sorry....I read the article through, and it is nothing but absolute bull crap.

Interesting argument kissmy. If health care is a "right" to be paid for then why not guns?

Personally they scare the shit out of me. I would not want one in my home with kids around. But I do respect others rights. Just don't fine me k? Lol

the militia is our State national guard in the usa...

I have no problems with people owning guns....

here in maine, 11 year old kids can own a gun and go hunting, if they take the State's course on guns and gun safety....

at first I was shocked when I heard this rule about children so young being able to handle guns....but later, after living here, it only makes sense to teach them when they are young about gun safety and protecting themselves from coyotes and black bears and wolves....

But to make it MANDATORY to own a gun and keeping lists of people who do not own them, is wrong, and breaks our constitution in my opinion...

Care4all
But to make it MANDATORY to own a gun and keeping lists of people who do not own them, is wrong, and breaks our constitution in my opinion...

I agree,and do not think, if passed, it will last long once challenged.

I can understand the situation Vermont faces, about the same here in Maine, in many rural places there are no police roaming after 7pm in the evening....they are only on call after that point....

We used to think it was fun, not having cops around....would rev up our cars and speed on the highways after 7pm.... :D and more than likely, each household already owns a gun in both states as it stands....but to make it MANDATORY, and put the people without them on lists, is absolutely ridiculous....

Crime rates are very low, in both vermont and maine btw

I think Maine is ranked the 2nd safest state out of our 50.

I have several friends that live in Maine, the ones that left from down here said they will NEVER move back to this tri-state area, it's a cesspool in comparison.

One is in Lubeck, in Edmonds Twp. almost on the border by NB, and others throughout Maine But their winters are brutal LOL, but they seem to love it and have all the equipment to deal with the snow etc.
I am bothered by a state or government mandating some things, and wonder if it's "for our own good, or theirs and their pals". Most required 'things', like car insurance, homeowners ins. drivers licenses, yada yada, are for everyone's good, imho.
But some things have to be a personal choice,NOT Governments.

Yeah, people here in Maine tend to have guns.

We also have a very low crime rate. (Last I read, Maine has the lowest crime stats in the union)

Guns have nothing to do with our low crimes rates, though.

First reason I think is that it's much harder to steal and rob from people when you're not anonymous. And when you live in a county with two stop[ lights and 35,000 people NOBODY is anonymous.

Secondly, we have the oldest population in America. Crime is basically young person's game.

Finally, even though we've a large popuulation of poor, we also have a fairly stable population. Families tend to stay here for generations.

Poverty in a rural area is less benign than poverty in the city.

Living in Maine is about the art of "getting by".

We also have a very low crime rate. (Last I read, Maine has the lowest crime stats in the union)

First reason I think is that it's much harder to steal and rob from people when you're not anonymous. And when you live in a county with two stop[ lights and 35,000 people NOBODY is anonymous.

Secondly, we have the oldest population in America. Crime is basically young person's game.

Finally, even though we've a large popuulation of poor, we also have a fairly stable population. Families tend to stay here for generations.

race has nothing to do with it ? :eusa_whistle:

race has nothing to do with it ? :eusa_whistle:

one could take that view dillo...and even make a pretty valid point if merely looking at statistics, less than 1 percent are black, less than 1% are hispanic here...

but it is more on the lines of what Editec has said....we have an old population, people are scarce, families are here forever and a day....many since the 1600's and 1700's that settled here when we were part of the common wealth of massachusetts....

everyone knows everyone...it is very small town....this is the main reason for low crime imo.

In general the people are very poor here...but the family support and "just getting by" is good enough for the people here....there are NO Jones's to keep up with, or to covet their goods...or to steal from....except maybe in the summer when the rich massachusetts residence come to their summer cottages....but even their cottages are humble cabins for the most part....

we do not have many transients here, or people that just move here out of the blue....every mainer KNOWS who the people are that are from "Away"....that is what they call those of us that were not born there...we, are "From Away" is the term they use....and every single person in the town I live, KNOW that Matt and I are "From Away"....

Since the constitution declares we have a right to own a gun, then the government should buy us all one. Government pays for all kinds of other crap that is unconstitutional. It is time they pay for the ones that are guaranteed by the constitution.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

This thread brings to mind Kennesaw, Georgia:

In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-1a] requiring every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition.

And now for everybody's favorite website:

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'

I wasn't aware of that, excellent, 25 years murder free, that's awesome. Around this tri-state area it's like 25 minutes it seems.

The Government should never be able to compel someone to envoke their rights. A right is something we can choose to use. There are many people who don't believe in violence and would die rather than engage in it. Should they be fined because they don't want a gun? I don't have a gun. I much prefer hand to hand combat myself. There are more ways to defend yourself than guns.

Maybe we should be like Switzerland after all? Everyone or household mandated to own a firearm.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack recently proposed a bill to register “non-gun-owners” and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state.
http://news-political.com/2009/11/30/vermont-representative-proposes-sensible-gun-law/

Before commenting, read through this also. Keeping in mind that the citizens, ALL, are the Militia.

US vs. Switzerland Gun Laws

The problem is assuming direct causation. One would need to compare basic social factors because gun ownership is not in a vacuum.

Most in Switzerland have a dusty gun somewhere in the back of a closet...

More than that - and it's why they have the lowest crime rate in the world:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nf1OgV449g]Switzerland's Low Crime Rate[/ame]

Forum List

Back