5.7 replace the 9mm??

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Some guy on another forum was postulating that the 5.7 round could eventually replace the 9mm Luger......... In who's lifetime..........?

While there are some advantages to the 5.7 round the disadvantages in comparison to the 9mm outweigh them by a wide margin.

57_vs_9mm_cover.jpg

Some guy on another forum was postulating that the 5.7 round could eventually replace the 9mm Luger......... In who's lifetime..........?

While there are some advantages to the 5.7 round the disadvantages in comparison to the 9mm outweigh them by a wide margin.

57_vs_9mm_cover.jpg
I have no need for a pistol round to penetrate body armor at 200 yards. I do not do trick shooting and my 5.56 rifle with M855 ammo will already fill that niche.

I have no need for a pistol round to penetrate body armor at 200 yards. I do not do trick shooting and my 5.56 rifle with M855 ammo will already fill that niche.
Of course the 5.7 AP rounds are reserved exclusively for the military, they cannot be legally sold to civilians which means the standard civilian 5.7 ammo is really nothing more than a souped up .22mag.
The JHPs that were tested functioned dismally.

Of course the 5.7 AP rounds are reserved exclusively for the military, they cannot be legally sold to civilians which means the standard civilian 5.7 ammo is really nothing more than a souped up .22mag.
The JHPs that were tested functioned dismally.
The 5.7 ammo is 4 times or more then the price of 9mm and less readily available locally. I do not need the flatter trajectory at the ranges I shoot pistol. I know where those rounds are going to go. The pistols in 5.7 are more expensive as newer of design usually is. It sounds like a gimmick at this point in time to attract collectors. If you only take on pistol and one rifle in your bug out bag, it better be a quality 9mm pistol and a 5.56 rifle on an AR frame, as that is what you will be taking off the people that might someday attack you, these being the most most common in the country, or possibly the planet, in the case of the 9mm.
It is fun to shoot, but at the bottom line, weapons are just tools to me, that I hope I don't really need, but plan to always have, just in case, but not collector items. If I buy it, it has to fill a niche that I can't cover with something I am more familiar with, that I already have. Any chance I'm really missing out on something?

Sort of a mute point since ya can't find either round on the shelf
I have loads recently bought and almost none I "bought off the shelf". Don't go to the big box stores, they are the first to run out, everyone goes there. Go to your local gun stores or just order it online, they have tons available unless you're looking for boutique rounds. You can always check AmmoSeek.com to find the best prices.

I suppose it depends on how close you like to shoot your assailant. Me? I'd like to be at least 50 yards away, in which case the 5.7 may serve well in an appropriate long bore weapon. Others may prefer to get up close and personal, in which case the 9 would definitely make a lasting first impression on the unsub.

Or may I suggest both? As you prefer, anyway.

If you think those are hard to come by, try looking for a 32 Winchester special round. Even Winchester won't respond to my requests for cases. Sighh. I guess I'll have to try the 30/30 round, although I've heard they're wildly inaccurate when fired from the slightly larger 32 spcl bore.

[edit: not much ammo in stock, anyway, no matter the caliber]

I suppose it depends on how close you like to shoot your assailant. Me? I'd like to be at least 50 yards away, in which case the 5.7 may serve well in an appropriate long bore weapon. Others may prefer to get up close and personal, in which case the 9 would definitely make a lasting first impression on the unsub.

Or may I suggest both? As you prefer, anyway.
You're not going to hit shit at 50 yards with a pistol

The typical self defense shooting is from less than 30 feet

If you think those are hard to come by, try looking for a 32 Winchester special round. Even Winchester won't respond to my requests for cases. Sighh. I guess I'll have to try the 30/30 round, although I've heard they're wildly inaccurate when fired from the slightly larger 32 spcl bore.

[edit: not much ammo in stock, anyway, no matter the caliber]
Why do people keep repeating the lie that ammo is not in stock? It may not be in stock at your local big box stores but it's massively available everywhere else especially online.

It's an interesting round. The Ruger and Keltec look fun in 5.7 Being an ex firearms mfg with sot I am always thinking. What? A 16-18" carbine in 5.7 Talk about a vermin round? Get some brass saved up and reload it. Makes me think old .218 bee. What about a single shot martini or rem falling block. Like a Stevens 22 crackshot, small, light but in 5.7?

Other had me interested for years is the Rock Island 1911 in 22TCM. Very similar round. The RI is also available as a 9mm/22tcm convert since 22tcm uses a 9mm brass (longer though like a largo)

You're not going to hit shit at 50 yards with a pistol

The typical self defense shooting is from less than 30 feet
Uuuuummmm.......... Not ideal, you might miss hitting shit especially if you don't want to literally raise a stink but steel plate targets........

Oh and he removed the sights for shits and giggles. As I stated not ideal but with sights, I'm pretty sure one can hit not only shit but everything else at 50 yards.

57_vs_9mm_cover.jpg

Not as long as ammo prices and availability are what they are.

Uuuuummmm.......... Not ideal, you might miss hitting shit especially if you don't want to literally raise a stink but steel plate targets........

Oh and he removed the sights for shits and giggles. As I stated not ideal but with sights, I'm pretty sure one can hit not only shit but everything else at 50 yards.

Not an accurate recreation of a self defense situation.

I regularly shoot my pistols at 200 yards. My .357 and .41 mag I shoot out to 400 yards.

With practice it's amazing how accurate you can get.

No shit Sherlock........ You claimed no one could hit shit at 50 yards with a sidearm. I proved that wrong. Heck, I can hit my target every time at 50 yards with a sidearm.
I said that in the context of a self defense shooting

You can tell that because I actually used the words "self defense shooting"

Forum List

Back