40,000 want this pit bull to live? I don't get it?

I have taken quite a few animal behavior courses. Don't try to school me with your ignorance. Dogs will bite if someone tries to take their food or something else that the dog considers theirs. The only one that can do that is the accepted pack leader. The child should have been taught not to try to take the dog's bone. In fact how about teaching a child not to take something that doesn't belong to them at all.

I have encountered many people who think taking away their dog's food or toys as a way of playing with them. That is the fast track to making a peaceful dog generally vicious.

In a perfect world, perhaps, but such a thing does not exist.

Meanwhile, children are attacked by certain breeds of dogs far more so than others. Pit bulls are the worst because of how much maiming they can cause and surely death as well. We all know there are thousands of dangerous pit bulls in neighborhoods because they are not trained right, fine. But they will always be there. One false move by them and you get rid of it from ever being around strangers. That should be the law.

Of course, I would grandfather in all current pit bulls and make a law none are allowed into the community after that. No parent should have to have their child die because the child did not know better and became a victim. No dog is worth that.

Actually, there is no reputable evidence that shows pitbulls are more likely to attack or bite than any number of breeds. It's just when a pitbul bites - it hits the media.

The only strike against pitbulls is the same as that with any large or powerful breed - when they do bite they can do a lot of damage and when children get bitten - the damage tends to be worse because they are more fragile and their short stature means they are more likely to be bitten in the face. Bites that do more damage are also more likely to require medical intervention and be reported so it's not really an accurate reflection on what breed is more likely to bite.

I have taken quite a few animal behavior courses. Don't try to school me with your ignorance. Dogs will bite if someone tries to take their food or something else that the dog considers theirs. The only one that can do that is the accepted pack leader. The child should have been taught not to try to take the dog's bone. In fact how about teaching a child not to take something that doesn't belong to them at all.

I have encountered many people who think taking away their dog's food or toys as a way of playing with them. That is the fast track to making a peaceful dog generally vicious.

I totally disagree, only aggresive dogs bite to maim. And a singular dog does not a pack make, unless that " human pack leader" doesn't teach the dog proper social behavior and pecking order. And I have owned 6 dogs at once for 8 years. I know all about their desire, until taught properly, to become a pack. I guarantee you that owner allowed that singular dog to believe he was the pack leader over all those around him, including his owner. He owned the owner, rather than the owner owning him..

The owner kept the dog on a chain. I think pack dynamics probably had little to do with it. Chaining a dog increases frustration, aggression and vulnerability for the dog. If the dog was chained outside most of the time that means there was likely little to no oversight as to what was going on around the dog such as inadvertent or deliberate teasing that could increase the dog's vigilance and reactivity. It was a bad scenario for the dog and the child. I blame the owner for a big part of the incident - especially since he continued to chain the dog out there after it killed another dog. :(

Meanwhile, children are attacked by certain breeds of dogs far more so than others. Pit bulls are the worst because of how much maiming they can cause and surely death as well. We all know there are thousands of dangerous pit bulls in neighborhoods because they are not trained right, fine. But they will always be there. One false move by them and you get rid of it from ever being around strangers. That should be the law.

Of course, I would grandfather in all current pit bulls and make a law none are allowed into the community after that. No parent should have to have their child die because the child did not know better and became a victim. No dog is worth that.

Pits are less likely to attack people than other breeds because of how they were bred. A pit attacking a child is an indicator there is something wrong with the dog. Pits will do more damage than most other breeds of dogs if they do attack. Anyone owning a pit should require special licensing. I say this as a owner of several pits.

Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct. Could have just as easily been any other larger-breed dog resulting in the exact same result. Singling out pits because the public's ignorant about dogs and behaviour (especially their own) isn't fair.

I owe my life to a dog, a collie who when as a mobile-toddler fell into my grandparent's fish pond with no adults around. Evidently (I'm told) I would have drowned if not for the out-of-character alert-barking of the collie. I've since made it a point to learn about dogs and other animals. And I can tell ya, there's no such thing as a evil dog.

"Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct." - - - It's not the snake's fault when it bites person either.

You may owe your life to a dog, but some kids gave their lives because of dogs. Let us not confuse the issue here. The fact is there are thousands of dangerous pit bulls who could be easily enough provoked to attack and horribly maim a child or some who could not defend themselves, or kill them. 23 of 38 who died in 2012 from dog attacks were pit bulls. As long as we cannot tell which ones will and which ones will not then I say pit bulls should be illegal to have in neighborhoods. Grandfather in the current ones, but that's it. No child should be at risk of losing its life over this. Evil or dangerous, what difference does it make to a victim?

Pits are less likely to attack people than other breeds because of how they were bred. A pit attacking a child is an indicator there is something wrong with the dog. Pits will do more damage than most other breeds of dogs if they do attack. Anyone owning a pit should require special licensing. I say this as a owner of several pits.

Right, it is how much serious injury they can cause which is why they are so feared.

If special licensing would prevent bad pit bulls from being around, then I am fine with that. But it's not happening.

Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct. Could have just as easily been any other larger-breed dog resulting in the exact same result. Singling out pits because the public's ignorant about dogs and behaviour (especially their own) isn't fair.

I owe my life to a dog, a collie who when as a mobile-toddler fell into my grandparent's fish pond with no adults around. Evidently (I'm told) I would have drowned if not for the out-of-character alert-barking of the collie. I've since made it a point to learn about dogs and other animals. And I can tell ya, there's no such thing as a evil dog.

Great story. I love dogs. There may not be such a thing as an evil dog but their are some that are mentally insane. i've seen plenty. People then go and breed these dogs passing on the mental defect. SMFH

I forgot to add that Chows are truly evil!!!

Last edited:
The parents can't be "put down".

no, but they can be send to jail...or punish any other way. :mad:

So should this pit bull be euthanized? Or what do you do with it?

Like I said, parents should be held responsible for the safety of their children. Parents not dogs.

If parents want to blame the dog to make themselves feel better thats another story... but at the end of the day it's the parents who are the guilty party.

Maybe I missed it in the OP but this same dog also mauled another neighbors dog to death a few months prior to the child being mauled.

What I find sad about this case, is there is more likes ( on FB) and money donated (crowd sourcing) for the dog, than for the baby with the torn off face.

I totally disagree, only aggresive dogs bite to maim. And a singular dog does not a pack make, unless that " human pack leader" doesn't teach the dog proper social behavior and pecking order. And I have owned 6 dogs at once for 8 years. I know all about their desire, until taught properly, to become a pack. I guarantee you that owner allowed that singular dog to believe he was the pack leader over all those around him, including his owner. He owned the owner, rather than the owner owning him..

The owner kept the dog on a chain. I think pack dynamics probably had little to do with it. Chaining a dog increases frustration, aggression and vulnerability for the dog. If the dog was chained outside most of the time that means there was likely little to no oversight as to what was going on around the dog such as inadvertent or deliberate teasing that could increase the dog's vigilance and reactivity. It was a bad scenario for the dog and the child. I blame the owner for a big part of the incident - especially since he continued to chain the dog out there after it killed another dog. :(

I agree. I also believe that all owners must responsibly socialize their dogs. If not, they need to never expose them to any situation where their socialization would be required. Such as in a yard, whether on chain or not, where others are present. As you stated, there is also evidence that those dogs left chained, can feel trapped.

"Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct." - - - It's not the snake's fault when it bites person either.

You may owe your life to a dog, but some kids gave their lives because of dogs. Let us not confuse the issue here. The fact is there are thousands of dangerous pit bulls who could be easily enough provoked to attack and horribly maim a child or some who could not defend themselves, or kill them. 23 of 38 who died in 2012 from dog attacks were pit bulls. As long as we cannot tell which ones will and which ones will not then I say pit bulls should be illegal to have in neighborhoods. Grandfather in the current ones, but that's it. No child should be at risk of losing its life over this. Evil or dangerous, what difference does it make to a victim?

Snakes aren't domesticated creatures. Bad comparison.

All dogs are capable of biting no matter the breed. It's how they are raised that makes the difference. I'm sure there are lots of you that have had dogs that have never bitten anyone.

CaféAuLait;8805633 said:
Maybe I missed it in the OP but this same dog also mauled another neighbors dog to death a few months prior to the child being mauled.

What I find sad about this case, is there is more likes ( on FB) and money donated (crowd sourcing) for the dog, than for the baby with the torn off face.

Pits were bred to be highly dog aggressive so that does not surprise me. The dog viewing a 4 year old as a threat is very unusual. The two types of aggression are not necessarily related. I guess these people are just wanting to give the dog another chance to kill a child or pass on its mental issues.

Like I said, parents should be held responsible for the safety of their children. Parents not dogs.

If parents want to blame the dog to make themselves feel better thats another story... but at the end of the day it's the parents who are the guilty party.

Why would you be so reluctant to answer a simple question? I cannot tell you how much your answer reminds of polticians spinning things.

Speaking for myself, if any of my dogs attack a child, it will be put down immediately, his head will be cut off and submitted for rabies testing.

This is the crazy thing, it's the OWNER who wants the dog put down, the owner who witnessed the attack on the child and says it was more than his protecting his bone, the owner who says the dog killed another dog. They want the dog put down because of behavior they have witnessed and the behavior when child was being babysat at their home.

Strangers ( that know nothing of the dog) have inserted themselves into this after hearing about the kid on the news. The owner allowed the child to go into the yard because he felt the child should be okay. It was not the parents, but the sitter who allowed the child into the back yard along with the dogs owner as well.

Last edited:

Why would you be so reluctant to answer a simple question? I cannot tell you how much your answer reminds of polticians spinning things.

No, I would not euthanize it ...but I would put it away, separated from other dogs and/or people.

Instead of taking courses you should have actually worked with and trained dogs. I'm not trying to school you. Your ignorance of dogs is astounding. You can socialize your dog to exhibit any behavior you want to if its food is taken by anyone. You cant be that ignorant about this? The only thing you got halfway right was the pack concept. You do realize there are more positions in the pack than just leader right? There is a hierarchy and your dog should know and understand that it is at the bottom of it.

I have worked with dogs for years and put up with their stupid owners, like you. The kid had it coming. The dog did nothing wrong. Find the abused dog a decent owner. Problem solved.

CaféAuLait;8805705 said:

Speaking for myself, if any of my dogs attack a child, it will be put down immediately, his head will be cut off and submitted for rabies testing.

This is the crazy thing, it's the OWNER who wants the dog put down, the owner who witnessed the attack on the child and says it was more than his protecting his bone, the owner who says the dog killed another dog. They want the dog put down because of behavior they have witnessed and the behavior when child was being babysat at their home.

Strangers ( that know nothing of the dog) have inserted themselves into this after hearing about the kid on the news. The owner allowed the child to go into the yard because he felt the child should be okay. It was not the parents, but the sitter who allowed the child into the back yard along with the dogs owner as well.

Then let one of the strangers have the dog, preferably a stranger with kids.

No, I would not euthanize it ...but I would put it away, separated from other dogs and/or people.

Doggy prison.

Snakes aren't domesticated creatures. Bad comparison.

Bad comparison, ok. But the point I was trying to make was that this particular pit bull (not all pit bulls) had no more conscience or concern of what he was doing than a snake. So he is equally not to blame, but still just as much should not be allowed around people.

On another matter: I like your Texan statement. I have reluctantly come to admire Texas in many ways. So many contributions over the years to our nation. I like almost everything about Texas except the Dallas Cowboys. I hate them. Don't like the Longhorns either, but I always like their coaches. Love just about everything else, cannot believe how many golfers have come from Texas! Love Houston, love Texas Southern College, and Abilene is my favorite country western song.

Forum List

Back