4 day vs 5 day school week.

Yeah?
Explain where I'm wrong.
If they're working less hours they should get a pay cut like anyone else.
I've worked four day weeks but had to put in 10 hours a day to hit 40.
As far as keeping teachers from leaving goes? Oh well,they knew what they were getting into when they became teachers.
They already have the summer off what more do they want?

Teachers usually only get paid for 7.5 hours a day now. you can't show me a teacher that works 7.5 hours day. When I was teaching, I worked from about 7 AM to 4 PM at school, if I wasn't coaching. It was 3 Pm if I was. Almost all of my planning and grading papers usually took me from about 6 PM to at least 10PM each night, and sometimes longer.

The "summers off" is the biggest concoction of BS there is in regards to education. After the kids leave for the year, there are usually up to 3 days required to getting your room cleared out for the summer so the custodians can do their work. There is usually required training during that period. One year I spend a week away from home at a conference to improve teaching STEM classes. Each school usually has a week reserved to cover mandatory annual training, such as suicide prevention, lockdown procedures, security against school shooters, etc. Some teachers have to take education courses t the local colleges nd universities to maintain their certifications or gain more. If you are coaching, there is a number of mandatory trainings you must attend in the summer. I attended school for over 2 years at night and during the summer to get my Master's degree.

There was none of this BS to contend with when I became a teacher in 1996.

If they're working less hours they should get a pay cut like anyone else.
I've worked four day weeks but had to put in 10 hours a day to hit 40.
As far as keeping teachers from leaving goes? Oh well,they knew what they were getting into when they became teachers.
They already have the summer off what more do they want?

Teachers usually only get paid for 7.5 hours a day now. you can't show me a teacher that works 7.5 hours day. When I was teaching, I worked from about 7 AM to 4 PM at school, if I wasn't coaching. It was 3 Pm if I was. Almost all of my planning and grading papers usually took me from about 6 PM to at least 10PM each night, and sometimes longer.

The "summers off" is the biggest concoction of BS there is in regards to education. After the kids leave for the year, there are usually up to 3 days required to getting your room cleared out for the summer so the custodians can do their work. There is usually required training during that period. One year I spend a week away from home at a conference to improve teaching STEM classes. Each school usually has a week reserved to cover mandatory annual training, such as suicide prevention, lockdown procedures, security against school shooters, etc. Some teachers have to take education courses t the local colleges nd universities to maintain their certifications or gain more. If you are coaching, there is a number of mandatory trainings you must attend in the summer. I attended school for over 2 years at night and during the summer to get my Master's degree.

There was none of this BS to contend with when I became a teacher in 1996.

And you knew all this when you decided to become a teacher.

This article implies that a 4-day week has been in effect in some districts for some time. What is the result? Are academics affected? How has it worked out, generally?

Do teachers give assignments that would occupy the fifth day? Are teachers required to be available (on line) on non-school days?

Doesn't Missouri have a law stipulating a minimum number of class days?

This article implies that a 4-day week has been in effect in some districts for some time. What is the result? Are academics affected? How has it worked out, generally?

Do teachers give assignments that would occupy the fifth day? Are teachers required to be available (on line) on non-school days?

Doesn't Missouri have a law stipulating a minimum number of class days?
Usually the requirements are for hours, not days.

Record Number of Missouri School Districts Switched to 4-Day Week

A record number of school districts in Missouri have moved to a four-day school week, according to research by the Missouri State University College of Education.

As the 2022-23 school year begins, an estimate of 141 school districts — nearly 25 percent of all districts — will teach students for just four days of school. This is the highest in Missouri history — a number that has steadily increased over the last two decades. In 2010, just one Missouri school had a four-day week. In 2020, the number of schools had jumped to 102.

What do you all think? Is this a good move or a bad one?
There's a lot of inbred people in Missouri that add an R to "wash".

74dtrf.jpg

This is to save diesel fuel when you get right down to it.

In my state transportation is not even a legal requirement. We don't HAVE to transport children to and from school. And really--when and why did that become a thing, and not parent/family responsibility?

Step one in the slippery slope toward "the state will take care of everything"

In my state transportation is not even a legal requirement. We don't HAVE to transport children to and from school. And really--when and why did that become a thing, and not parent/family responsibility?

Step one in the slippery slope toward "the state will take care of everything"
You obviously don't live in rural area where kids go to school 20 mile or more from their homes.

Many parents go to work way before school begins and work long after it ends so they cannot provide transportation.

Without the parents working the kid isn't fed, clothed, brought to the Dr regularly, and on and on. because of american wages being where they've been, it takes two adults working full time to make it happen. So yes transportation is needed. School shouldn't only be for the rich.

Without the parents working the kid isn't fed, clothed, brought to the Dr regularly, and on and on. because of american wages being where they've been, it takes two adults working full time to make it happen. So yes transportation is needed. School shouldn't only be for the rich.

That's a neverending cycle though, isn't it?

Raise taxes to pay for things like school transportation

Cost of living rises

Parents need to work more

I agree we probably can't get out of it now. But we never even THINK about it.

Add to that never ending cycle.

Get up
Run around getting ready for work
Rush off to work
Work all day
Rush home
Eat
Go to bed.
Every dang day.

People are too fried and burnt out from the american lifestyle. No time to relax and enjoy life.

Add to that never ending cycle.

Get up
Run around getting ready for work
Rush off to work
Work all day
Rush home
Eat
Go to bed.
Every dang day.

People are too fried and burnt out from the american lifestyle. No time to relax and enjoy life.

Genesis 3:19

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground.

You are right that it didn't start this way, and is not ideal.

But this is not Heaven yet.

Forum List

Back