30 year old decides not to buy health insurance

Who should pay for that 30 year old who decided NOT to buy health insurance?

• No one, let him die in the waiting room, make an example of him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • If the hospitals pay for illegals' care they should care for a citizen

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • The hospital should simply bill the young man for his care

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • The State he lives in should pay via Medicaid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Federal government should pay via Medicaid

• THE ACTUAL ANSWER is "Meduical Assistance" pays for those who have no money.

• Total voters
So you pissed away 30 years of premiums. thats the point.................

No, the point is that sooner or later you will need medical care. Are you married? Plan on having children?

Sooner or later? Is true. I am married I raised 4 children. The last child, we used a mid wife to save money. Couldnt afford insurance then. I paid my bills out of pocket, made payments etc.

I should not be forced into coverage I do not want or need. This entire premise by the left is for someone else to pay. Mandated coverages prove that point.

and i shouldn't have had to pay for two wars and tax cuts for the top 1% of the US that weren't needed and weren't wanted.

and you endangered your wife by using a midwife, imo. if there had been an emergency, she'd have been fairly useless. but the birth didn't hurt you a bit.

(i wonder if you'd have scrimped on prostate cancer).

Last edited:
No, the point is that sooner or later you will need medical care. Are you married? Plan on having children?

Sooner or later? Is true. I am married I raised 4 children. The last child, we used a mid wife to save money. Couldnt afford insurance then. I paid my bills out of pocket, made payments etc.

I should not be forced into coverage I do not want or need. This entire premise by the left is for someone else to pay. Mandated coverages prove that point.

and i shouldn't have had to pay for two wars and tax cuts for the top 1% of the US that weren't needed and weren't wanted.

and you endangered your wife by using a midwife, imo.

I didnt start the war. Which has nothing to do with the topic. I was a little peeved at GWs nation building.

The mid wife, if you knew anything about them. You would know it still required regular doctor visits and his final approval.

That 30 year old who decides not to buy health insurance ends up needing 6-months of hospitalization. Who should pay?

He should pay for it--and I don't care if the hospital has to put a LIFE-TIME JUDGEMENT on him to get it--and they should charge interest on it also.

In fact--if the hospitals would start doing that--we wouldn't have the problems with these type people anyway. A young 30 year old is very capable of buying a CHEAP major medical policy--and there is absolutely no excuse not to do so--of course unless you think your care will be paid for by everyone else.

Makes you appreciate mandatory health insurance doesn't it?

no it doesn't. If no one pay's for me I am mot obligated to do as they wish

Last edited:

and you endangered your wife by using a midwife, imo. if there had been an emergency, she'd have been fairly useless. but the birth didn't hurt you a bit.

It's a shame he had to rely on a midwife because he couldn't afford insurance. But at least if there were complications for the baby or his wife, the rest of us would have been there to pick up the bills

Again, what if he's dead?

The OP didn't say anything about him dying.
If he is dead, then the bill goes to his estate.
If his estate cannot pay, the hospital writes it off.

None of the above. This man should turn to charitable orginizations for assistance.

People help people, government just steals money and creates burocracy's.

<snip>

The hospitals can't "dump" or refuse to care for patient's because of federal EMTALA laws.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. As a result of the act, patients needing emergency treatment can be discharged only under their own informed consent or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.
The OP does not state this was an emergency, so YES hospitals can 'dump' patients or 'transfer' (at their own cost, not a wambulance, BTW) patients to another location.

And hilariously fight tooth and nail against any sort of reform while bitching that your premiums are going up.

The 'reform' that is needed is HEALTH INSURANCE reform, not health care reform and HI companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know ;) HI should go into the way-back machine and cover what it was originally designed for, EMERGENCIES, not 'Jimmy has the sniffles'. HI, at it's inception was also NON-PROFIT....cool huh?

BTW, guess who wins with Tort Reform? I'll give you a hint: It's not the patients, the rest of the policy holders, or the doctors.

I give up, lawyers?
Why is tort reform, law, in many states?

The 'reform' that is needed is HEALTH INSURANCE reform, not health care reform and HI companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know

Why should states be prevented from regulating their insurance markets?

the idiot doesn't understand that you won't get a particupating provider in NY if you have HI insurance. :cuckoo:

And all that would happen if they could "sell across state lines" is that they'd all incorporate in the state with the fewest regulations... just like banks.

'tards...

<snip>

The hospitals can't "dump" or refuse to care for patient's because of federal EMTALA laws.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. As a result of the act, patients needing emergency treatment can be discharged only under their own informed consent or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.
The OP does not state this was an emergency, so YES hospitals can 'dump' patients or 'transfer' (at their own cost, not a wambulance, BTW) patients to another location.

And hilariously fight tooth and nail against any sort of reform while bitching that your premiums are going up.

The 'reform' that is needed is HEALTH INSURANCE reform, not health care reform and HI companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know ;) HI should go into the way-back machine and cover what it was originally designed for, EMERGENCIES, not 'Jimmy has the sniffles'. HI, at it's inception was also NON-PROFIT....cool huh?

BTW, guess who wins with Tort Reform? I'll give you a hint: It's not the patients, the rest of the policy holders, or the doctors.

I give up, lawyers?

is it? what states? and under what circumstances? what type of "reforms" were instituted?

and why are you so determined to see people injured by corporations but not compensated?

and no, it's not lawyers... you braindead twit... it's insurance companies.

Last edited:

You didn't pay for tax cuts for anyone. It's not your money that they are keeping - it's their own.

That 30 year old who decides not to buy health insurance ends up needing 6-months of hospitalization. Who should pay?

I have a friend who that happened to. I think he was a little younger, late 20's. 6 month long coma. He still owes $750,000. The hospital will never see that money, of course, because surprise - with a debt like that, you can't really do much in life. So the hospital ate it.

The 'reform' that is needed is HEALTH INSURANCE reform, not health care reform and HI companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know

Why should states be prevented from regulating their insurance markets?

Why should states prevent free market?

You're avoiding the question. Conservatives would generally oppose a federal override of state laws. And yet when policy outcomes they don't like crop up in individual states, that sentiment goes out the window.

<snip>

I give up, lawyers?

is it? what states? and under what circumstances? what type of "reforms" were instituted?

and why are you so determined to see people injured by corporations but not compensated?

and no, it's not lawyers... you braindead twit... it's insurance companies.

Someone appears to have no sense of humor. Very sad :(

Do your own research into which states do what regarding tort reform, unless you are what you called me.

Your second comment has nothing to do with the OP, nor can you read my mind as to my 'intent'.

Next.........

Who should pay? I'm sure the person would not be able to pay the bill. I recently spent 1 week in the hospital and the bill was $65,000, and I'm not sure if all the EOBs are here yet.

6 months is 13 weeks. 13 weeks at $65,000 would come to $845,000. Maybe he has that lying around. Most do not.

You didn't pay for tax cuts for anyone. It's not your money that they are keeping - it's their own.

you have a distinct lack of understanding of tax policy...

but thanks for answering for him... i could barely see your hand up his butt.

as for the wars... i have most definitely paid for those while the right cries about not having enough money for infrastructure and services.

but we can pay for health care and infrastructure in iraq?

you people make me laugh.

the 'reform' that is needed is health insurance reform, not health care reform and hi companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know

why should states be prevented from regulating their insurance markets?

the idiot doesn't understand that you won't get a particupating provider in ny if you have hi insurance. :cuckoo:

And all that would happen if they could "sell across state lines" is that they'd all incorporate in the state with the fewest regulations... Just like banks.

'tards...

fail!

Once tax money gets to the IRS it is no longer property of the individual.

Forum List

Back