30 year old decides not to buy health insurance

Who should pay for that 30 year old who decided NOT to buy health insurance?

• No one, let him die in the waiting room, make an example of him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • If the hospitals pay for illegals' care they should care for a citizen

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • The hospital should simply bill the young man for his care

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • The State he lives in should pay via Medicaid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Federal government should pay via Medicaid

• THE ACTUAL ANSWER is "Meduical Assistance" pays for those who have no money.

• Total voters
Who should pay? I'm sure the person would not be able to pay the bill. I recently spent 1 week in the hospital and the bill was $65,000, and I'm not sure if all the EOBs are here yet.

6 months is 13 weeks. 13 weeks at $65,000 would come to $845,000. Maybe he has that lying around. Most do not.

so as a society who pays? we don't want to not treat, right? (at least most of us don't want to let the guy die)... so what do you do with someone who can't afford health care and doesn't have health insurance?

as of right now, unanticipated medical expenses are the cause of about 50% of all bankruptcies. (though that may have changed slightly since they amended the bankruptcy laws. i haven't seen new stats).

Why should states be prevented from regulating their insurance markets?

Why should states prevent free market?

You're avoiding the question. Conservatives would generally oppose a federal override of state laws. And yet when policy outcomes they don't like crop up in individual states, that sentiment goes out the window.

I am not speaking of federal override, I am speaking of free market.

The 'reform' that is needed is HEALTH INSURANCE reform, not health care reform and HI companies should be allowed to sell across state lines, not adhere to rigid state 'rules'. Competition ya know

the idiot doesn't understand that you won't get a particupating provider in NY if you have HI insurance. :cuckoo:

And all that would happen if they could "sell across state lines" is that they'd all incorporate in the state with the fewest regulations... just like banks.

'tards...

Oy, wanna trade insults, eh? Some reading comprehension would suit you well. HI is an accronym for ***drum roll*** HEALTH INSURANCE....

YOU don't know what this "idiot" :cuckoo: here knows, now do ya'?

FAIL again...

you think *that's" the problem? is that what this is about?

i'm sure you have an ounce of proof to substantiate the racial stereotyping...

you really don't care what you say ...

I watch the morning news...

This is a city of 4 million people...

This is Chicago...

Gangbangers shoot one another all day everyday...

It's so bad in the city that the cops have made it a policy to charge every member of a"set" with homicide for the actions of one gang member...

Yeah I have evidence - the 800-1,000 a year that are murdered in Chicago.

That's 3 homicides a day in the city of Chicago...

Yeah, on average 3 people are murdered and 15 are shot every day...

The statistics are available online.

Now we know why republicans oppose mandatory healthcare coverage....it is easier to just let him die than make sure he has coverage

This is Chicago...

It's so bad in the city that the cops have made it a policy to charge every member of a"set" with homicide for the actions of one gang member...

So gun control works................

For high crime rates..........

the idiot doesn't understand that you won't get a particupating provider in NY if you have HI insurance. :cuckoo:

And all that would happen if they could "sell across state lines" is that they'd all incorporate in the state with the fewest regulations... just like banks.

'tards...

Oy, wanna trade insults, eh? Some reading comprehension would suit you well. HI is an accronym for ***drum roll*** HEALTH INSURANCE....

FAIL again...

you're not very good at this. i'd simply prefer that people like you not talk about subjects you know nothing about.

now do you understand why insurance companies shouldn't operate across state lines?

sorry you got embarrassed because you know nothing.

but really, too bad.

and no... you're still the idiot. but buck up... you might be able to learn.

p.s. it's not my comprehension that's the problem... it's your inability to articulate.

This is Chicago...

So gun control works................

For high crime rates..........

Progressives actually believe that...

Like the people who are shooting and killing one another are legal gun owners.

Those who own guns legally don't do drive-bys.

Sure I will be paying the bill, just like now

OK ... so whats the difference? Why is the health care bill needed ... oh so they can CONTROL it and they do so good when they control things!!
with the health care bill, he will be forced to buy insurance....so the 6 months cost will not come on down to you and me....?

Of course the cost will come down to you and me! Do you think the insurance companies will operate at a loss?
Every one with insurance means everyone will head to the ER every time they feel a sneeze coming on. The solution to health care costs is to end health insurance all together. When everyone has to pay the bill on their own, they will demand reasonable care for a reasonable price. Insurance drives up costs because we don't pay for our own care. We don't care what an appendectomy costs. We just go in, get fixed up and rarely even see a bill.
Insurance companies have no motive to hold prices down. They are more or less guarantied a percentage profit margin. Let's say the margin is 10%.
for every million in premium, they profit $100,000 and pay out $900,000 in claims. If they in stead, pay out $9 million, they pocket a million.

You're speaking out against state regulations. Regulations that states obviously want in place in their state. So states can either deregulate themselves (as a handful have done) or you can take the Republican party's approach and seek federal legislation to deregulate states against their will. Are you saying you want the former? What happens to those states that don't wish to deregulate?

Last edited:
Now we know why republicans oppose mandatory healthcare coverage....it is easier to just let him die than make sure he has coverage

I'd let a gangbanger die in the streets - I wouldn't help that person.

They're swiss cheese because they made a decision to join a gang and with that comes the consequences.

Gangbangers are a liability to society, taxpayers either pay to incarcerate them or the hospitals eat their medical bills from the lead they caught.....

Not to mention they're collecting welfare...

Not to mention the welfare....

'tards...

FAIL again...

you're not very good at this. i'd simply prefer that people like you not talk about subjects you know nothing about.

now do you understand why insurance companies shouldn't operate across state lines?

sorry you got embarrassed because you know nothing.

but really, too bad.

and no... you're still the idiot. but buck up... you might be able to learn.

p.s. it's not my comprehension that's the problem... it's your inability to articulate.

I'll take lessons from you then, sweetheart.

Which is easily remedied. So that shouldnt be an excuse for stopping it. Companies would be free to negotiate as those in state.

Who should pay? I'm sure the person would not be able to pay the bill. I recently spent 1 week in the hospital and the bill was $65,000, and I'm not sure if all the EOBs are here yet.

6 months is 13 weeks. 13 weeks at $65,000 would come to $845,000. Maybe he has that lying around. Most do not.

so as a society who pays? we don't want to not treat, right? (at least most of us don't want to let the guy die)... so what do you do with someone who can't afford health care and doesn't have health insurance?

as of right now, unanticipated medical expenses are the cause of about 50% of all bankruptcies. (though that may have changed slightly since they amended the bankruptcy laws. i haven't seen new stats).

Look at the bright side Jillian

We, as a society may have to foot the bill for $845,000 but at least his freedom would not be jeopardized like if he had to buy insurance

They're swiss cheese because they made a decision to join a gang and with that comes the consequences.

Gangbangers are a liability to society, taxpayers either pay to incarcerate them or the hospitals eat their medical bills from the lead they caught.....

Nobody really gives a shit about your gangbangers when we have 35 million uninsured

You're speaking out against state regulations. Regulations that states obviously want in place in their state. So states can either deregulate themselves (as a handful have done) or you can take the Republican party's approach and seek federal legislation to deregulate states against their will. Are you saying you want the former? What happens to those states that don't wish to deregulate?

We are speaking of health insurance, correct?
There are zero states that have deregulated the sale of health insurance over state lines.
Again, I am for free market and competition for the people that purchase their own health insurance.
I am not speaking out against state regulations. I am speaking FOR the people who would benefit from free market.
I also want to throw back into the mix that HI companies should go back to their non-profit status, as they were originally intended to be. HI companies only sold catastrophic insurance.

Thanks for the excellent questions!!

Nobody really gives a shit about your gangbangers when we have 35 million uninsured

Maybe, just maybe the uninsured could get treatment if urban hospitals didn't exacerbate their resources treating gangbangers with bullet holes?

Ever see "It's a Wonderful Life?"

"every time a gangbager is shot an indigent person doesn't get dialysis."

Get it???

We are speaking of health insurance, correct?
There are zero states that have deregulated the sale of health insurance over state lines.

Not true. Maine, Wyoming, and Georgia spring to mind immediately.

Even if your point was accurate, what's the implication here? Are you advocating for state or federal action to achieve what you're describing?

I am not speaking out against state regulations. I am speaking FOR the people who would benefit from free market.

You did say that health insurers should not be forced to "adhere to rigid state 'rules'" didn't you? State regulations are what prevent out-of-state insurers from selling products in the state. In general these are a byproduct of consumer protections in the state.

I'm trying to disentangle what you're suggesting from the Republican party's across-state-lines proposal, which very specifically and purposefully uses federal power to defang state laws.

Forum List

Back