28 Russian athletes have lifetime bans overturned after appeal

Viacheslav

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2017
Twenty-eight Russian athletes have had lifetime Olympic bans overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport [Cas] and their results at the 2014 Sochi Winter Games have also been reinstated.

Eleven others had their appeals partially upheld, meaning that they will serve reduced suspensions and miss the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeonchang only.

The rulings are unlikely to go down with anyone involved in the Winter Olympics or the International Olympic Committee, as it comes as a huge blow to the IOC’s claims that a state-sponsored doping programme was used in Russia. A number of past and current athletes are likely to greet the Cas ruling with anger on the eve of the 2018 Winter Games.

28 Russian athletes have lifetime Olympics ban overturned

Good news, I hope that athletes will sue a good compensation from the IOC

I guess you can believe there wasn't Russian state sponsored doping, but the world understands differently.

I guess you can believe there wasn't Russian state sponsored doping, but the world understands differently.

Not really, I can assume that something like this has taken place, but I think that everything was easier that without the FSB and Putin, just officials from the international anti-doping agency were bribed and while the political situation was peaceful all suited everyone. And for me, professional sport without doping, it's like a bee without honey, and almost all professional athletes somehow use dope, just some find original ways to justify themselves if they are caught:

Olympic gold medallist Gil Roberts has been cleared of failing a drugs test, after it was found he ingested a banned substance by kissing his girlfriend.
The 28-year-old American, who won 4x400m relay gold at Rio 2016, tested positive for probenecid on 24 March.
Although Roberts was cleared at an arbitration hearing on 20 June, the details have just been released by the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada).
An arbitrator said the athlete was "without fault".
Probenecid is used to treat to high levels of uric acid in the blood, and can be used as a masking agent because it increases the production of urine.
After Roberts failed an out-of-competition test, he was provisionally suspended on 5 May.

He competed in the 400m at last month's US track and field championships, qualifying for August's World Championships in London by finishing second.
A few weeks before his failed test, Roberts' girlfriend Alex Salazar had been taking medication for a sinus infection which contained probenecid.
Salazar took the medicine on the day of Roberts' test and the pair kissed shortly after.
"Whenever they were together, they kissed frequently and passionately," said the report from the American Arbitration Association.
Roberts said he did not know Salazar was taking the medicine and was unaware that kissing could lead to him ingesting any banned substance.
Gil Roberts: Sprinter ingested banned substance by kissing girlfriend

Forum List

Back