1925 Winchester M1892 Lever Action in .32-20

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Well I was suckered into another 32-20 rifle this morning. :eusa_wall:

92 001 (2).JPG

Round barrel, honest wear, great bore, no stock cracks. I really did not want another 24" barreled Winchester but the price was right at $820.00 and they are not getting any cheaper so.... ;)

Meh, at least it will go well with my 24" octagon barrel 1917 '92 in the same caliber.

92-002-2-jpg.609961

The only lever action rifle I have is a Remington 30-30.
I bought it for the same reason I bought my S&W 610-3 revolver. For their history and nostalgia.
I'm more into modern firearms these days for their function if you get my drift.

32-20? What is the effective range? is it effective for hunting game such as wild boar?

The only lever action rifle I have is a Remington 30-30.
I bought it for the same reason I bought my S&W 610-3 revolver. For their history and nostalgia.
I'm more into modern firearms these days for their function if you get my drift.
Oh I have plenty of "modern sporting rifles" and "fantastic plastic" pistols as far as go-to stuff but it's the older weapons that I prefer. I have started to limit myself to available more or less "modern" calibers.

And let's face it.....Nothing quite says America as a well made pre-WW-2 lever-action. ;)

I'm looking for good hunting rifle; I got rid of my 30-.06 a long time ago, when I didn't have time for hunting. Now I do. I like the Winchester Model 70 best so far.

Anybody ever owned a Weatherby? I don't know anybody who has used one.

View attachment 652406

Round barrel, honest wear, great bore, no stock cracks. I really did not want another 24" barreled Winchester but the price was right at $820.00 and they are not getting any cheaper so.... ;)

Meh, at least it will go well with my 24" octagon barrel 1917 '92 in the same caliber.

92-002-2-jpg.609961
Dude, this is like 3 weeks in a row. You've gotta have a pretty nice collection at this rate.
Just curious how many of them have snuck out all on their own & done a mass shooting?
Apparently, they do this all the time now so be careful & don't turn your back on them, they're sneaky bastards.

Oh I have plenty of "modern sporting rifles" and "fantastic plastic" pistols as far as go-to stuff but it's the older weapons that I prefer. I have started to limit myself to available more or less "modern" calibers.

And let's face it.....Nothing quite says America as a well made pre-WW-2 lever-action. ;)

Oh I appreciate the oldies but I have other expenditures these days that take precedence.
If I didnt think the world was about to turn to shit I'd definitely buy more old firearms.

32-20? What is the effective range? is it effective for hunting game such as wild boar?
Think of it as .30 Carbine powered. You can kill deer with it (and have) under 100 yards but I prefer something more substantial. That said the "half-ass autopsy" on deer I've killed with one showed that it did it's job in the "boiler room".

I think it would be too light for anything but head shots on pigs. It would be done if it hit the pig's "shield" first.

View attachment 652406

92-002-2-jpg.609961

Nice lever guns. I'm slipping: A guy brought out a clean vintage Remington 788 in .308 at a garage sale last week and he only wanted $200. I'd been hitting sales all day and didn't have enough money left to buy it.

Nice lever guns. I'm slipping: A guy brought out a clean vintage Remington 788 in .308 at a garage sale last week and he only wanted $200. I'd been hitting sales all day and didn't have enough money left to buy it.
Damn....Carbine or rifle?

That almost happened to me once. ;)

I was having a great day and was near the end of my "route" in NOtVA and ran up on a sale and the guy had all manner of vintage fishing lures in two huge metal tackle boxes. I bought them from him then spied a old holster, bought that and asked where was the gun.

He said you want some guns and brought out a old but excellent smokeless rated H&R top-break in .38 S&W and a boxed Interarms Walther PP .380 and said he wanted $80.00 for them.....I had $70.00 left and he took it.....Whew!

It was a lesson though, I started carrying at least 2K with me but hell, that was back when you could fill-up a 8' pick-up bed every Saturday.

Damn....Carbine or rifle?

That almost happened to me once. ;)

I was having a great day and was near the end of my "route" in NOtVA and ran up on a sale and the guy had all manner of vintage fishing lures in two huge metal tackle boxes. I bought them from him then spied a old holster, bought that and asked where was the gun.

He said you want some guns and brought out a old but excellent smokeless rated H&R top-break in .38 S&W and a boxed Interarms Walther PP .380 and said he wanted $80.00 for them.....I had $70.00 left and he took it.....Whew!

It was a lesson though, I started carrying at least 2K with me but hell, that was back when you could fill-up a 8' pick-up bed every Saturday.

Full-length rifle. Looked like it was made in the 60's or 70's but in nice condition. The hell of it is I'd never find that guy's house again. It was during the 70 mile long rummage sales along the Mississippi River they have every year.

Think of it as .30 Carbine powered. You can kill deer with it (and have) under 100 yards but I prefer something more substantial. That said the "half-ass autopsy" on deer I've killed with one showed that it did it's job in the "boiler room".

I think it would be too light for anything but head shots on pigs. It would be done if it hit the pig's "shield" first.
The uncs all had hand me down 45-70 at first. Back late 50's. Said "they got a trajectory like the moon at 50 yards, They do. Then they went 32 special. Bofum. Found it underpowered, We talking Berkshires, Mass and NY. 200# whitetails, usually 100-125 yards. Got sick of 32 specials, went to a win M88 lever, bofum, in 308. NICE. I killed lots with them, chucks mostly. Win 88 had a cool detachable lever but then they wanted semis in about another 15 years. Got M100 winnies, 308. NICE. Have to let the bolt slam or forget a shot though, very tight tolerance on lockup, forget a pine needle pustule in the action. I liked the 88's better.

Now quit this 32-20 shit now before I need one.

The uncs all had hand me down 45-70 at first. Back late 50's. Said "they got a trajectory like the moon at 50 yards, They do. Then they went 32 special. Bofum. Found it underpowered, We talking Berkshires, Mass and NY. 200# whitetails, usually 100-125 yards. Got sick of 32 specials, went to a win M88 lever, bofum, in 308. NICE. I killed lots with them, chucks mostly. Win 88 had a cool detachable lever but then they wanted semis in about another 15 years. Got M100 winnies, 308. NICE. Have to let the bolt slam or forget a shot though, very tight tolerance on lockup, forget a pine needle pustule in the action. I liked the 88's better.

Now quit this 32-20 shit now before I need one.
You never really "need" a .32-20....They are just a joy to own/shoot. ;)

Odd, I went through two Winchester M100 .308s and neither one shot well enough to suit me. About 2.5-3.5 MOA was the best they could do but I wanted a .308 so I had a bolt gun (Rem. 700 action) built for me in the late 80s.....Damn I've killed a lot of game with that rifle and it still shoots sub-MOA. Best "gun money" I ever spent. :)

View attachment 652406

92-002-2-jpg.609961
I'd buy that for a dollar. :D

Forum List

Back