16 dead in Texas hot air balloon crash

Those calling themselves "Liberal" in 1776 would today be called Libertarians.
Agreed. The only thing Liberals in 1776 and Liberals in 2016 have in common is their title and the fact we're all in the United States. Modern-day liberals are authoritarians favoring domination of the population by an all-powerful government which controls the rights of the citizenry.

Absolutely! Us liberals are trying to make it law that you must have an abortion whether you want it or not!

Absolutely! Us liberals are trying to make it law that you must have an abortion whether you want it or not!
Straw man argument.
Strawman_icon.png
Nice try at deflecting the discussion away from the fact modern day Liberals are authoritarians, completely opposite the Liberals of Jefferson's day.

Straw man argument.
Strawman_icon.png
Nice try at deflecting the discussion away from the fact modern day Liberals are authoritarians, completely opposite the Liberals of Jefferson's day.

Right! Unlike Jefferson, us modern liberals want to preserve our traditional judo-christian values through codified law! We aren't going to be happy until we put god back into government! Nothing in common with Tom at all!

Right! Unlike Jefferson, us modern liberals want to preserve our traditional judo-christian values through codified law! We aren't going to be happy until we put god back into government! Nothing in common with Tom at all!
Another sarcastic attempt to deflect way from the fact modern Liberals are authoritarian Nanny States who believe in giving full power to an elitist Federal government dictating how we think, how we live and what to believe.

FWIW, modern Republicans are also authoritarian, but not as much.

I thought you could fit only a couple of people in a hot air balloon. Is it possible that they were overweight and couldn't rise above the power lines like they planned?
Always possible, but 1) yes, they can lift that many people given proper conditions and 2) it was a commercial flight operation. The FAA is strict about checking up on those. It's one thing for a pilot to go out and kill himself, but it's another to charge money for it and kill a lot of people.

Another sarcastic attempt to deflect way from the fact modern Liberals are authoritarian Nanny States who believe in giving full power to an elitist Federal government dictating how we think, how we live and what to believe.

FWIW, modern Republicans are also authoritarian, but not as much.

Granted, we may have gone overboard by insisting that gays get married instead of living in sin......

You're such a dumbfuck. <smh> Even looking at the power lines burning, you're still too stupid to know that the balloon hit them.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hot air balloon catches fire, crashes in Texas; 16 feared dead

Texas state police confirmed that 16 people died on Saturday in the crash of a hot-air balloon, which eyewitnesses said struck power transmission lines and burst into flames before plunging into a pasture.​
Thanks for proving, once again, the limits of your emotional range and intellectual acumen.

No, it's not obvious they hit the power lines just because there are power lines in the picture. Even if they did hit the power lines, it doesn't mean that was the cause of the crash. It could have been the burner or envelope failed and they simply hit the power lines on the way down.
Funny. You think it's emotion that's kicking your ass. :lol:

Let's review your dumbfuckery, shall we?

You say...

Divine.Wind: "No, it's not obvious they hit the power lines just because there are power lines in the picture."

But did I say it's obvious they hit power lines just because there are power line in the picture? No, of course not. Here's what I actually said...

Faun: "Don't know if the power lines caused the crash or not, but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them..."

... then said ...

Faun: "It's a safe assumption given there's a fire burning on the power line. That's not to say the balloon wasn't already on fire and on it's way down when it hit the power line, but it certainly appears the balloon hit it."

... then said ...

Faun: "You're such a dumbfuck. <smh> Even looking at the power lines burning, you're still too stupid to know that the balloon hit them.
icon_rolleyes.gif
"

As you can see, at no time did I ever suggest they hit a power line, "just because there are power lines in the picture."

I even posted a video which contained this frame showing the power line burning...

15gs66h.png

You then proceed with...

Divine.Wind: "Even if they did hit the power lines, it doesn't mean that was the cause of the crash. It could have been the burner or envelope failed and they simply hit the power lines on the way down."

And of course, looking again at what I actually said, I never said the power lines caused the crash, only that it clearly hit the power lines...

Faun: "Don't know if the power lines caused the crash or not, but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them..."

Faun: "It's a safe assumption given there's a fire burning on the power line. That's not to say the balloon wasn't already on fire and on it's way down when it hit the power line, but it certainly appears the balloon hit it."

And there's newly released video indicating the gondola was tragically burning before hitting the power lines...

Deny it or accept it -- it wasn't emotion which led me to point out you're a dumbfuck. Your own posts reveal that. Like the balloon hitting power lines, I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

Granted, we may have gone overboard by insisting that gays get married instead of living in sin......
That's not authoritarian, it's a 14th Amendment issue which I supported...just like the Libertarian Platform states:
Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government’s treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

Nice try on another deflection of LW authoritarianism. Keep trying. This is fun!

...it wasn't emotion which led me to point out you're a dumbfuck...
Disagreed. This and several other posts indicate you are a volatile, abusive and conclusion-jumping mess.
Like I said, you can deny it all you want. You didn't think I expected you to accept it, did you?

Again, I point out it's obvious the balloon hit the power lines because you can see them burning. If not for being a "dumbfuck," how do you explain your brain translating, "but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them," into "no, it's not obvious they hit the power lines just because there are power lines in the picture" ?

Like I said, you can deny it all you want. You didn't think I expected you to accept it, did you?...
Not denying anything. You're the one pulling guesses out of your ass before the NTSB investigation is complete. When I disagreed with your jumping to conclusions, you became an abusive asshole.

Like I said, you can deny it all you want. You didn't think I expected you to accept it, did you?...
Not denying anything. You're the one pulling guesses out of your ass before the NTSB investigation is complete. When I disagreed with your jumping to conclusions, you became an abusive asshole.
:dig:

Sadly, your dumbfuckery persists. :(

Did I pull that assessment "out of my ass?"

Of course not. I based it on a video showing the power line burning. Something even appearing to be caught in it. Possibly even part of the gondola according to the eyewitness who recorded the video I posted. And then there's at least one eyewitness who said it hit the power lines.

You choose to ignore all of that just to remain a dumbfuck. :itsok:

And you didn't answer my question...

If not for being a "dumbfuck,"how do you explain your brain translating, "but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them," into "no, it's not obvious they hit the power lines just because there are power lines in the picture" ?

Those calling themselves "Liberal" in 1776 would today be called Libertarians.
Agreed. The only thing Liberals in 1776 and Liberals in 2016 have in common is their title and the fact we're all in the United States. Modern-day liberals are authoritarians favoring domination of the population by an all-powerful government which controls the rights of the citizenry.

You don't have a problem making it where those of us told to butt out of a woman's choice are forced to fund the results when the choice isn't to have an abortion and the one making it can't do it herself. Your outrage is ridiculous and hypocritical when you say people should stay out of a woman's choice then demand she get help when a choice related to her body is one she can't pay for. If she wants to have a dozen kids, I won't tell her not to do so. What I will say when she does and can't afford it is tough shit, pay for your own choice. Don't care what the results happen to be.

...Sadly, your dumbfuckery persists...Did I pull that assessment "out of my ass?"..You choose to ignore all of that just to remain a dumbfuck....If not for being a "dumbfuck,"...
LOL. Now deny you're abusive and don't overreact to disagreement.

...Sadly, your dumbfuckery persists...Did I pull that assessment "out of my ass?"..You choose to ignore all of that just to remain a dumbfuck....If not for being a "dumbfuck,"...
LOL. Now deny you're abusive and don't overreact to disagreement.
Since when is calling a proven dumbfuck, a "dumbfuck," abusive or overreacting? :dunno:

Had you lied and I called you a "liar," would that have been abusive and overreacting?

Had you said something based on ignorance and I called you "ignorant," would that have been abusive and overreacting?

And I note, you still refuse to answer my question...

If not for being a "dumbfuck,"how do you explain your brain translating, "but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them," into "no, it's not obvious they hit the power linesjust because there are power lines in the picture" ?

It's a legitimate question since I never said what your brain translated my words into.

Sound advice from the NTSB:

Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash: At Least 16 Confirmed Dead as Names of Victims Emerge
Chris O'Neil, an NTSB spokesman, told NBC News that it was "far too early to speculate about cause."

"We go through our investigative process without any preconceived notions," O'Neil said. "The facts lead us where they lead us."
Sound advice for the NTSB given they're the official voice on determining the cause of the crash. And again, I never said the power lines caused the crash. I said there's no doubt the balloon hit the power lines. There's video of the power lines burning. There's at least one witness who says it hit the power lines. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read circuits tripped in the area.

And again, I note your absolute refusal to answer my question...

If not for being a "dumbfuck,"how do you explain your brain translating, "but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them," into "no, it's not obvious they hit the power lines just because there are power lines in the picture" ?

Last edited:
NTSB takes lead in investigation of balloon crash...
icon_omg.gif

NTSB takes lead in probe of deadly balloon crash
July 31, 2016 • Washington (AFP) - The US National Transportation Safety Board, taking the lead in investigating the fiery crash Saturday of a hot-air balloon in Texas that claimed 16 lives, is asking the public for any cellphone videos of the incident.
Identifying the victims of one of the worst hot air balloon crashes in history will be "a long process," the Caldwell County (Texas) sheriff's office said in a statement. "Our goal is not to solve it this week," said Robert Sumwalt, an NTSB official who briefed reporters at Reagan National Airport in Washington. "Our goal while being on scene is to collect the perishable evidence" and ultimately determine "why it happened so that we can keep it from happening again." Authorities have not yet identified the company that operated the balloon or named any of the victims. But CNN and local media identified the balloon's pilot as Alfred "Skip" Nichols, owner of Heart of Texas Hot Air Balloon Rides. They said Nichols owned at least three balloons, one well-known in the area for sporting a huge yellow smiley face against a red, white and blue background. A photo on Facebook showed him piloting a balloon with a large wicker basket holding more than a dozen passengers.

8294711e0eaa5cb5c97c34c08bc4fa0c8fb5f518.jpg

Authorities investigate the site of a hot air balloon accident in Maxwell, Texas​

CNN quoted Alan Lirette, who worked for the company and said he had helped load the passengers on Saturday, as confirming Nichols' death and saying there were no children aboard. He said Nichols was a close friend and a "great pilot." The Federal Aviation Administration and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are assisting in the inquiry. The NTSB on Saturday sent a team of technical experts from Washington to the scene, where they will first examine the site on foot to look at "three things: the human, the machine and the environment," Sumwalt said. "What that really means is we're looking at the operation of the balloon, the pilot, the company that operated the balloon," he said. The balloon burst into flames and plummeted to earth soon after dawn outside the town of Lockhart, some 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Austin, the FAA said in a statement. Sumwalt confirmed that 16 people onboard had died.

dd6c8696c3d3b052e6e308bb7f2a9c344bc29515.jpg

World's worst balloon accidents​

Weather did not appear to be a problem -- temperatures were moderate and wind was light. Local residents speculated the balloon, seen floating at a low altitude, had struck a power line that runs prominently across the field. "I didn't see the balloon hit. I just heard the popping. And I heard the popping, and then the next thing I knew is the fireball went up," Margaret Wylie, 66, who witnessed the crash, told broadcaster TWC News Austin. Collisions with power lines are a leading cause of hot air balloon crashes.

Federal team opens probe of deadly Texas balloon crash

Forum List

Back