10 Ways Right-Wing Christians Are Destroying Christianity

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
n-PHIL-ROBERTSON-large300.jpg

I've written about how millennials are leaving organized religion and its associated anti-LGBT animus in droves. As a result, the only religions holding on to membership (barely) are ones with super-high birth rates and very conservative views. In the process, conservative faiths are becoming increasingly insular and preaching to an echo chamber. This is creating a downward spiral of church membership overall as less and less millennials want to be a part of a brand that is increasingly unpalatable. And make no mistake, it is millennials who are leaving conservative denominations the fastest.

2015-09-29-1443531284-9682969-religiousgap.jpg

As an atheist and as an LGBT activist, this seems like a good thing. The faster conservative religion is overwhelmingly seen as mean, crazy, violent, hateful, misogynistic and anti-science, the faster we as a society can move on. I'd rather America looked more like somewhere people want to live, than someplace that generates political and religious refugees.

2015-09-29-1443531428-5492508-GDPvsreligiosity-thumb.png

As such, here are the things atheists see hastening conservative Christianity's descent into nearly complete cultural irrelevance.

1. Fighting battles you've already lost.

2. Deciding who's Christian based on how much they hate gays.

3. Treating women like cattle.

4. Rejecting science.

5. Condemning everyone else's sex lives but their own.

6. Telling people freedom of religion is only for Christians.

7. Telling us all the awful things they'd do if they didn't believe in God.

8. Taking out their phobias on children.

9. Equating religious freedom with a special right to discriminate.

10. Showing how much you love people by harassing them.

DETAILS: 10 Ways Right-Wing Christians Are Destroying Christianity

Christian Conservatives are their own worst enemy when it comes to attracting more believers.

Last edited:

I've written about how millennials are leaving organized religion and its associated anti-LGBT animus in droves. As a result, the only religions holding on to membership (barely) are ones with super-high birth rates and very conservative views. In the process, conservative faiths are becoming increasingly insular and preaching to an echo chamber. This is creating a downward spiral of church membership overall as less and less millennials want to be a part of a brand that is increasingly unpalatable. And make no mistake, it is millennials who are leaving conservative denominations the fastest.

As an atheist and as an LGBT activist, this seems like a good thing. The faster conservative religion is overwhelmingly seen as mean, crazy, violent, hateful, misogynistic and anti-science, the faster we as a society can move on. I'd rather America looked more like somewhere people want to live, than someplace that generates political and religious refugees.

As such, here are the things atheists see hastening conservative Christianity's descent into nearly complete cultural irrelevance.

4. Rejecting science.

Christian Conservatives are their own worst enemy when it comes to attracting more believers.

The pity of it is that you are only now realize this. We Christians were told over 2,000 years ago that this would happen so it is of no surprise to us. We expected it and are not alarmed by it. We are also very aware of who the players are in the coalition Putin has put together. This does not come as a surprise to Christians either. Your news is old news and no news to us. Carry on.

4. Rejecting science.

The pity of it is that you are only now realize this. We Christians were told over 2,000 years ago that this would happen so it is of no surprise to us. We expected it and are not alarmed by it. We are also very aware of who the players are in the coalition Putin has put together. This does not come as a surprise to Christians either. Your news is old news and no news to us. Carry on.

Who told you? The same ancient superstitious goat/sheepherders who wrote the Bible?

4. Rejecting science.

Who told you? The same ancient superstitious goat/sheepherders who wrote the Bible?

That is correct. I certainly did not waste my time waiting on you to enlighten me.

4. Rejecting science.

That is correct. I certainly did not waste my time waiting on you to enlighten me.

And where did the ancient superstitious goat/sheepherders get their information?

4. Rejecting science.

And where did the ancient superstitious goat/sheepherders get their information?

Why don't you read the Book and find out. Were you to read it, then you wouldn't be taken by surprise either.

Intolerance demonstrated by the willfully ignorant. Those who wish to be unbelievers have that absolute right. Those who believe have that absolute right. The bigotry shown in the OP demonstrates the stupidity of the bigot.

Intolerance demonstrated by the willfully ignorant. Those who wish to be unbelievers have that absolute right. Those who believe have that absolute right. The bigotry shown in the OP demonstrates the stupidity of the bigot.

So, you're saying it's bigotry to expose bigotry?

Things swing one way, and 100 years later they swing in the other direction. Your victory lap is premature.

Things swing one way, and 100 years later they swing in the other direction. Your victory lap is premature.

Yeah, but most people are getting smarter - and less superstitious. That doesn't bode well for man-made religions.
The Church has survived persecution from Roman Emperors, Fascist dictators, the Nazis, the Communists, and it's still here while it's persecutors have been swept away by the sands of time.

Yeah, but most people are getting smarter - and less superstitious. That doesn't bode well for man-made religions.
The Church has survived persecution from Roman Emperors, Fascist dictators, the Nazis, the Communists, and it's still here while it's persecutors have been swept away by the sands of time.

So, you're saying only the dumb survive?

Forum List

Back