10 House seats set to flip in 22

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Can the Democrats hold off a Republican majority in the HOUSE?

Pubs only need a net 5 seats for a majority.

The Republicans are poised to recapture the House majority after just four years in the minority, with opportunities to flip Democrat-represented districts expanding in 2022 seemingly by the day as the midterm election year commences.

House Republicans need to net five seats in the 435-member chamber to take control when lawmakers are sworn into office in January 2023 for the 118th Congress. But as 2021 comes to a close, poll after poll suggests a red wave is building: President Joe Biden’s average job approval rating sits at 44%, and Republicans lead the generic ballot by nearly 3 percentage points.

The list:

• Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District: The 3rd was Iowa’s most competitive of the state’s four seats in 2020, with Trump edging Biden 49.1% to 49%. Rep. Cindy Axne, now in her second term, also won, becoming one of the few Democrats to hang on last cycle in a district won by the former president. That makes Axne a solid incumbent, and her decision to run for reelection was a boon for Democrats. But like Axne’s old seat, the redrawn 3rd District would have narrowly voted for Trump over Biden last cycle. In a midterm election with a red wave brewing, that might be too strong of a tide for Axne to withstand.
  • Maine’s 2nd Congressional District: Trump won the 2nd handily in 2020, defeating Biden 52.3% to 44.8%. That metric alone, in a western Maine district dominated by rural communities and working-class voters, should make second-term Rep. Jared Golden as good as defeated in 2022. But Golden, a Marine veteran, has bucked Democratic leadership in the House on key votes, including on Biden’s “Build Back Better” social spending bill, and stylistically is a strong fit for his seat. He could face his toughest challenge yet next year.
  • Nevada’s 3rd Congressional District: This seat, which stretches from Las Vegas to the state’s southern tip, is on track to be a major House battleground. Biden barely defeated Trump in the old 3rd last cycle, 49.1% to 48.9%, and the slightly redrawn seat is not expected to give incumbent Democratic Rep. Susie Lee much of a partisan cushion, although for now, at least, she appears likely to have one. However, any partisan lean Lee begins with is not expected to be large enough to discourage Republicans from investing considerable resources in a bid to unseat her.
  • North Carolina’s 2nd Congressional District: This is an open seat, with veteran Rep. G.K. Butterfield retiring. Redistricting in the Tar Heel State could have the practical effect of making it all but impossible for all but one district to elect a Democrat in 2022. Butterfield’s decision to retire, while surely based at least in part on his party’s dim prospects in the midterm elections, appears to be a consequence of North Carolina’s new congressional boundaries. “It takes thousands of Democratic voters out of my district and places those into another district, which means my district becomes less Democratic and less African American,” he complained to Spectrum News earlier this year.
  • Ohio’s 9th Congressional District: Rep. Marcy Kaptur’s nearly 40-year congressional career could be another victim of redistricting. Kaptur for years has represented a safe Democratic seat. In 2020, Biden trounced Trump in the 9th District. But Ohio has essentially functioned as a red state in the Trump era, and Republicans, who control the levers of redistricting in the Buckeye State, appear to have redrawn Kaptur’s seat into a red bastion. The GOP is now eyeing a fresh and, at least initially, unexpected opportunity.
  • Oregon’s 4th Congressional District: At first glance, this western Oregon seat belongs nowhere near this list. The 4th’s new boundaries were drawn to elect a Democrat — and even under the old lines, the best Trump could do against Biden was 46.7% of the vote. But with longtime Rep. Peter DeFazio retiring and Republican Alek Skarlatos mounting his second bid for Congress in this seat, the Republicans could pull an upset if all of the stars align for the GOP.
  • Texas’s 15th Congressional District: This battleground seat runs from San Antonio to the Mexican border. After it was reconstituted from a district drawn to elect Democrats to one considered a pure toss-up, the incumbent Democrat who represents the current 15th, Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, announced that he would run for reelection in the new 34th Congressional District. That has effectively created an open seat for Republicans to target in a region of Texas dominated by Hispanic voters that has seen the GOP make some major gains over the past few years.
  • Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District: Incumbent Republican Rep. Don Bacon managed to survive the Democratic wave in 2018 and 2020, when Biden bested Trump in the Omaha-area 2nd, 52.2% to 45.7%, netting himself one vote in the Electoral College. That might suggest that Bacon is too strong for Democrats to bother with considering how many districts they will be defending in 2022. But the new 2nd District only gives Bacon a marginal partisan advantage, and that might be an offensive opportunity that is too good for Democrats to pass up next year, especially if they have very few of them.
  • Ohio’s 1st Congressional District: Trump defeated Biden in this seat in 2020 by a relatively close margin of 50.9% to 47.7%. And that was when the partisan strength of the 1st was classified as Republican +8. With this redrawn southwest Ohio seat now considered an R+3, incumbent GOP Rep. Steve Chabot could have a fight on his hands, although he could be spared by a political atmosphere that by all accounts is likely to favor his party.
  • Ohio’s 13th Congressional District: This Cleveland-area seat, which is essentially a newly constituted 16th Congressional District, opened when Trump chased incumbent Rep. Anthony Gonzalez into retirement (Gonzalez voted to impeach the former president in the waning days of his administration.) The partisan lean of the new 13th is R+4, enough to put the eventual Republican nominee here in the driver’s but slim enough that the GOP will likely be forced to work for it. If Democrats are looking for offensive opportunities, this seat could be attractive, especially if controversial Republican contender Max Miller is the GOP nominee, as is likely.

In 2017, during Trump's first term the GOP owned the House by 46 seats. And as we know, lost it during Trump's mid-term election. I suspect the GOP will win back many of those seats, maybe not all of them but a good chunk. That could be a reason why many democrats are retiring or not running for re-election, cuz they know they're going to lose.

Everyone knows the Republicans are in for a huge win in 2022.

If it's not a huge win, it's a loss.

It's not only that democrat policies are very unpopular, its also that there is re-districting to consider. Add in democrats bailing out, and its looking like a big opportunity for Republicans. Most of the predictions are for a 10-14 seat GOP majority, but that could grow if voters are energized to oppose democrats.

Rs will probably pick up 30 in the house and 2 in the senate. That's not saying anything though.
Look at the 2022 senate races, don't just "opine", there are 6 "toss-up" races, 3-R & 3-D seats, 2022 is hard to predict, both parties look to hold onto their seats, unless the electorate gets super-motivated one way or the other:
D-Mark Kelly AZ too close to call, leans Democrat, Brnovich gaining
D-Warnock GA too close to call, leans Democrat, Hershel Walker gaining
R-Burr SC (retiring) Solid GOP seat
D-Masto NV too close to call, leans Democrat, Laxalt gaining
R-Toomey PA (retiring) Dr. Oz favored to win
R-Johnson WI (retiring) Solid GOP seat

Look at the 2022 senate races, don't just "opine", there are 6 "toss-up" races, 3-R & 3-D seats, 2022 is hard to predict, both parties look to hold onto their seats, unless the electorate gets super-motivated one way or the other:
D-Mark Kelly AZ too close to call, leans Democrat, Brnovich gaining
D-Warnock GA too close to call, leans Democrat, Hershel Walker gaining
R-Burr SC (retiring) Solid GOP seat
D-Masto NV too close to call, leans Democrat, Laxalt gaining
R-Toomey PA (retiring) Dr. Oz favored to win
R-Johnson WI (retiring) Solid GOP seat

I've looked at several prognostications. 10-15 is possible. 70, as some sites predict, is unrealistic. 40 is the middle. I'm not even predicting that high, only 30.

Even before the elections, redistricting will most likely hand the HoR to the GOP…

Yeah, the OP is a Dem "win" in the sense that I just read they HOPE to lose "only" 10 to 20 seats. 40s thru 60s would be a big Dem loss, and it happens pretty often to the party in power at midterms. So I'm hopeful the GOP will do well.

I've looked at several prognostications. 10-15 is possible. 70, as some sites predict, is unrealistic. 40 is the middle. I'm not even predicting that high, only 30.
Yep, 30 is a good number assuming that the voters still hold democrats in contempt.
I'm thinking 14 is a good minimum number, but 30 is probable, for a 25 seat GOP majority.
The senate is still a coin toss.

Can the Democrats hold off a Republican majority in the HOUSE?
I have no idea but if the Dems do well it will be thanks to the GOP and their desire to eat their own. The GOP primaries will likely pick the most radical, pro-Trumpers over more moderate (meaning they might appeal to independents) 'RINO's. Candidates like Marjorie Taylor Greene fire up their base but not so much the general electorate.

I have no idea but if the Dems do well it will be thanks to the GOP and their desire to eat their own. The GOP primaries will likely pick the most radical, pro-Trumpers over more moderate (meaning they might appeal to independents) 'RINO's. Candidates like Marjorie Taylor Greene fire up their base but not so much the general electorate.

define dems "doing well"

Two things...it is a loss because our Democracy which was a Republic will be moving more and more to a Dictator type governance as we see in Prog areas and people will vote for this as Progs dangle free stuff in front of their voters and Repub legislators softening their rhetoric and actions as they seem to do when they are in power.

I'm sitting on around 35 seats taken. MOE is +/- 3.

Depending on what they do on fuel prices and inflation, in the next three months, that number could go higher in the loss for democrats.

Forum List

Back