0th anniversary of VJ Day: Thank the atomic bomb for saving millions of lives

A-bomb, nuclear WMD that only America has been murderous enough to use as weapon of terror on two entirely civilian target resulting in the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands...

Japan was probably the most fanatical enemy America has ever faced. Thousands of suicide attacks from the air, sea, and land, against American sailors and Marines.

The application of two, rather small, nuclear weapons turned Japan from a fanatical war-sotted country into a nation of democracy loving pacifists.

As weapons go, there never has been such an effective use of force since Cain killed Able with a rock.

"What can explain this apparent transformation in U.S. conduct of war and public attitudes toward the use of force? Drawing on public opinion surveys, as well as other historical material, this essay will explore three broad explanations for the change. The first explanation – the one most commonly cited by scholars of the conduct of war – claims that there has been a decisive shift in the norms surrounding the targeting of civilians. By this account, Americans' ideas about what constitutes appropriate and ethical conduct in war have changed for the better."

Japan was probably the most fanatical enemy America has ever faced. Thousands of suicide attacks from the air, sea, and land, against American sailors and Marines.

And not only suicide attacks, suicides.

This can be clearly seen at the Battle of Saipan, the only battlefield where a significant number of civilians of Japanese cultural descent lived. And well over a thousand choose suicide over being taken prisoner. Often times entire families choosing death over that. Often entire families jumping off of the cliffs.

Now this was just a single small colony of Japan. Now imagine if the US had to invade.

The press in Japan was actually championing those civilians that killed themselves on Saipan, and were slaughtered by their own army on Okinawa. Prime Minister Suzuki on 9 June 1945 even calling them special victims of their "Holy War" in the defense of Japan.

Even today, Japan is really the only culture that has no large prohibition against suicide. Aokigahara is one such location, where even today hundreds of suicides and attempts are conducted each year in just the single forest.

All of the people we have fought since the end of WWII have violated the Laws of War on a routine basis and as an official policy.

I think Poophead has just given up. Hell, he can not even provide references to where he is quoting from.

That is from a 2016 paper called "Moral Character or Character of War? American Public Opinion on the Targeting of Civilians in Times of War", by Benjamin Valentino and published in Daedalus.

He is not even trying to stick to the very topic anymore. And is just randomly posting quotations and can't even cite them. Maybe I should do the same thing.

And not only suicide attacks, suicides.

Poopy, I see you did yet another "dislike", and then said nothing.

So tell me, how am I wrong? Did not well over a thousand civilians kill themselves at Saipan? Deciding it was better to die than be taken by the Americans? Did over 4,000 Japanese soldiers not conduct the most famous "Banzai Charge" of the war there, with even those wounded in previous engagements charging unarmed just so they could die gloriously in battle and avoid surrender?

Is not the Aokigahara Forest the most well known place in Japan for people to go in order to commit suicide? With hundreds of them carried out there every year? Or that in the religion there, there is actually no prohibition against suicide at all?

You see, this is why you are not taken seriously. You bloviate endlessly about nonsense, and actually trying to deny things just because you do not like them. And the more you do things like that, the more I actually believe your only real understanding of Japan is coprolitic fetishes.

Wow, thank you for confirming that suicide is a growing problem in Japan.

Now excuse me as I am still laughing my ass off, as you just thoughtlessly vomited up some random clip and did not analysis or actual thinking yourself when you did so. But here, for those that do have a brain and actually read data, this is quite telling.

The number of suicides in Japan in 2021 totaled 21,007, a decrease of 74 (0.4%) compared with 2020.

Wow, a huge decrease, 0.4%! That is what, a decrease of 4 in 1,000? Honestly, I do not even think I could take that amount seriously, it seems more like the expected annual deviation as opposed to anything that was actually done to solve the problem.

But then you have the very next line.

The number of suicides per 100,000 people rose by 0.1 to 16.8.

So in other words, it actually went up slightly. As a percentage it went down, in per 100k of population it actually increased. With suicides among the young (20 and under) and elderly (over 50) showing sharp increases.

So you see Poopy, there is much more involved than just vomiting up something that you think shows you are right, you need to actually analyze the information. You simply glommed onto the completely insignificant statistic about 0.4%, and apparently put zero thought into actually considering what that meant. In looking at the data, the suicide rate is still on the rise, and even more disturbingly the rate for those under 20 is increasing again. Which that article rather cleverly attempted to hide.

The year also saw the second highest number of cases of school students, after 2020, with 473 taking their own lives.

OK, now that sentence is a real wonder, since it was written to cover the 2021 year. But think on it, second highest since 2020, and that literally covers two years. I wonder how many even realize that the "second highest" is one of only two years in the time period they themselves laid out? That is the difference between actually analyzing data, and just vomiting it up and thinking it means something.

So once again, thank you for proving I am right, Poopy.

"What can explain this apparent transformation in U.S. conduct of war and public attitudes toward the use of force? Drawing on public opinion surveys, as well as other historical material, this essay will explore three broad explanations for the change. The first explanation – the one most commonly cited by scholars of the conduct of war – claims that there has been a decisive shift in the norms surrounding the targeting of civilians. By this account, Americans' ideas about what constitutes appropriate and ethical conduct in war have changed for the better."

Forum List

Back