Yours truly faces a big, life changing decision....

California or Alabama?

• Total voters
The damage was bad, but I guess it wasn't so bad. And most of it was on the inside. The outside, while still damaged, at least doesn't look bad. And I guess they decided that there was enough money in it to rebuild it.

Last time I went to "the brig", yeah, it was cold. But it also sucked. This must have been 1999 or thereabouts. I'm tellin' ya, the owners during that time frame killed the place with overpriced and mediocre crap menu and drinks.
"The Brig"! That was it! :lol: I'm talking early 1980s. 'NiteTown' in Destin was a huge rock club back then, also.

I never hung in Destin, so I don't really know what's over there. Or still may be there. There was more than enough to do on PCB.

Ms. Newby's was a favorite hangout. As well as Hathaways (RIP).
Is Ms. Newbys still there? I'll check it out next time I'm there.

I agree about LaVela. Never liked that place. Same with Spinnakers, although that was more tolerable.

"The Brig"! That was it! :lol: I'm talking early 1980s. 'NiteTown' in Destin was a huge rock club back then, also.

I never hung in Destin, so I don't really know what's over there. Or still may be there. There was more than enough to do on PCB.

Ms. Newby's was a favorite hangout. As well as Hathaways (RIP).
Is Ms. Newbys still there? I'll check it out next time I'm there.

I agree about LaVela. Never liked that place. Same with Spinnakers, although that was more tolerable.

Newbys is still there, but it's grown. Used to be a liquor store that happened to have a bar in it. Now it's a bar that happens to have a liquor store in it.

I'm not implying that adults don't go. I myself just grew out of it. I worked at LaVela for a while, and I had my fill of loud thumping music, crowds, and fake people.

Give me a beach bar with a single guy, or maybe two, with a guitar, and I'm good to go :thup:

Don't know about Magruder's, but Buckhead Saloon is still here.
I'm glad to hear that! I used to play there also, and hang out with our buddies in the Atlanta-based band "Mother's Finest". Everyone except Baby Jean. She was a bit of a diva, but what a voice! You should play some of their songs on the radio, dude, and keep their memory alive. Awesome funk band.

Magruders is (was?) up toward Marietta, at the first exit east of I-75 north, on I-285.

Gotcha, probably off Powers Ferry.
That's exactly where it was! There was another club nearby, also, called Mardi Gras.

Are you allowed to play Mother's Finest songs, or are you restricted to corporate playlists?

If so, I recommend "Baby Love" and "Piece Of The Rock". You'll have all the older Blacks calling your station to thank you!

Are you allowed to play Mother's Finest songs, or are you restricted to corporate playlists?

If so, I recommend "Baby Love" and "Piece Of The Rock". You'll have all the older Blacks calling your station to thank you!

Not our audience, man.

What kind of music does your station play?

It's format is like a CHR lite, or a really hot AC.

Basically top 40, without the rap or Justin Beiber. Our audience is late 20's, very early 30's white women. *shrug*.

If you can picture a soccer mom listening to it, thats what we would play.

edited out a bunch of your overly-defensive shrieking

Obviously, I've taken all that into consideration, and OF COURSE I know people there, Captain Obvious. Or else I wouldn't be considering moving there.

more shrieking deleted

Those would've been things to include in the OP, that way others wouldn't have to make assumptions, and you wouldn't have to send them whiny reps about it. :eusa_shhh:

I'll put this nicely: you don't come across as a very self-aware "people person".

So my assumption that you'd make a dumb-ass move, wasn't out of line--since you've demonstrated several times that you are, for sure, a dumbass.

Not our audience, man.

Basically top 40, without the rap or Justin Beiber. Our audience is late 20's, very early 30's white women. *shrug*.

Ah okay. Thanks. I always thought it would be kind of cool to work for like an 80s only station. Do you actually get to talk on the radio and stuff?

Ah okay. Thanks. I always thought it would be kind of cool to work for like an 80s only station. Do you actually get to talk on the radio and stuff?

Yup. Every weekend.

Used to be a full time gig for me. But I didn't want to be a roaming radio vagabond with a family (if you stay in the same city for more than 5 years, you're doing good). So I cut it back to part-time only and have another "real" job I do during the week.

California is elbow to elbow in queers. You would just be another number there. Go to Alabama. The queers can really shine in that State. Not as many of them so you will be a beacon in the dark night sky... Besides, Alabama has fewer earthquakes.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Yup. Every weekend.

Used to be a full time gig for me. But I didn't want to be a roaming radio vagabond with a family (if you stay in the same city for more than 5 years, you're doing good). So I cut it back to part-time only and have another "real" job I do during the week.

I was a broadcast radio technician for a while...
1st class FCC licence with broadcast endorsement.

I expect the hardware has changed a lot since I was in there though.

do you still have to have a 3rd class FCC licence or whatever they call it now?

Last edited:

Yup. Every weekend.

I was a broadcast radio technician for a while...
1st class FCC licence with broadcast endorsement.

I expect the hardware has changed a lot since I was in there though.

Yeah, you don't have to be licensed anymore.

I still have my non-commercial license somewhere. By the time I moved over to commercial, the 1994 telecomm act had passed doing away with the license requirements.

Forum List

Back