Yours truly faces a big, life changing decision....

California or Alabama?

• Total voters
Montgomery is fine. Thats where he said he was going.

Hell, one of the gayest cities in America is in the south.

I know....sweet....beautiful....awesome ATL.........

No, Key West is one of the gayest cities in America. And is in the south.

I don't think ATL has a larger percentage of homosexuals than any other comparably sized city. We're just the only major metropolis for hundreds of miles around. Next closest comparably sized city is....Miami? New Orleans?

Dude, even I know that when it comes to black, urban, and homo, ATL is the capital, my promised land....

I don't think ATL has a larger percentage of homosexuals than any other comparably sized city. We're just the only major metropolis for hundreds of miles around. Next closest comparably sized city is....Miami? New Orleans?

Dude, even I know that when it comes to black, urban, and homo, ATL is the capital, my promised land....

It is what you make it, but I don't there are any more black urban homosexuals here than in any other comparably sized city.

Geographically, yes. But I certainly don't lump Key West in with 'southern cities'. Same with Tampa, Orlando, Miami. There is no dominant southern culture.

You have to go to the far north of Florida to hit it's southern cities: Jacksonville, Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Panama City, with only J-Ville really qualifying as a city.

Thats why I said "in the south" and not "part of the deep south".

I grew up in Panama City. It's actually very tolerant and easy going. Used to go to the gay bar on....Wednesday nights? Tuesday nights? I forget. But they had $5 all you can drink draft beer and queen shows. It was teh awesome, and plenty of straights like myself went as well.

I even remember the name of the place. It was the "Fiesta lounge and bar"......or bar and lounge....

It is what you make it, but I don't there are any more black urban homosexuals here than in any other comparably sized city.

I guess you dunno as many black people as I do. The vast majority of my friends are black. When I meet a homo from the south, they're usually from ATL. ATL has the title for gay/DL black gay capital for years now man, dunno how you missed this.

The HIV/AIDS rate there is also, sadly, sky high, more proof. I'm safe so that don't really bother me, but yea.

ATL is actually my ideal city even more so than L.A. But I have no way there.....

Geographically, yes. But I certainly don't lump Key West in with 'southern cities'. Same with Tampa, Orlando, Miami. There is no dominant southern culture.

You have to go to the far north of Florida to hit it's southern cities: Jacksonville, Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Panama City, with only J-Ville really qualifying as a city.

I grew up in Panama City. It's actually very tolerant and easy going. Used to go to the gay bar on....Wednesday nights? Tuesday nights? I forget. But they had $5 all you can drink draft beer and queen shows. It was teh awesome, and plenty of straights like myself went as well.
My band used to play regularly at Montego Bay and the Treasure Ship, on Thomas Drive. Btw, the Treasure Ship burned down last year. Very sad - it was a PC landmark, and a lot of folks lost their jobs.

PC has changed, and not for the better. It's lost almost all of it's character. They tore down all the mini golf, go cart, and amusements to build cookie cutter condo clusters (say it 5 times fast!) which now sit empty.

Not really. It has it's share of gay culture and clubs (hey Radioman: is 'Saints & Sinners' still operating downtown?), but no more than any other city.

Your ridiculous sigline claims that you are Latino. Now you claim to be Black?

My band used to play regularly at Montego Bay and the Treasure Ship, on Thomas Drive. Btw, the Treasure Ship burned down last year. Very sad - it was a PC landmark, and a lot of folks lost their jobs.

PC has changed, and not for the better. It's lost almost all of it's character. They tore down all the mini golf, go cart, and amusements to build cookie cutter condo clusters (say it 5 times fast!) which now sit empty.

I know TS burned. But it didn't burn "down". As a matter of fact, they're in the process of rebuilding it from what I hear. But it sucked for a long time before the fire. The last good time it had was in the late 80's and early 90's. They had a chef there who had his shit down cold. Then he left and it got sold a few times and it just became more of a tourist trap than a damn good meal.

My parents still live there, and I visit at least twice a year. I agree with you on the condo thing. City planners were stupid to allow that kind of zoning.

I guess you dunno as many black people as I do. The vast majority of my friends are black. When I meet a homo from the south, they're usually from ATL. ATL has the title for gay/DL black gay capital for years now man, dunno how you missed this.

The HIV/AIDS rate there is also, sadly, sky high, more proof. I'm safe so that don't really bother me, but yea.

ATL is actually my ideal city even more so than L.A. But I have no way there.....

I promise you, we have no more than any other similarly sized city.

Thing is, we're the....8th? biggest city in the US, so there ain't many who can come close anyway.

The more you post, the more apparent it is that you are full of shit: earlier, you said that $ would not be a problem and now you say you have no way to L.A.

A clue for the clueless: use your $ to fly/drive/train/bus your way there.

Not really. It has it's share of gay culture and clubs (hey Radioman: is 'Saints & Sinners' still operating downtown?), but no more than any other city.

I don't know of a Saints and Sinners. Backstreets is still here I think.

I stopped going to clubs when I moved away from PC. I grew up.

I promise you, we have no more than any other similarly sized city.

Thing is, we're the....8th? biggest city in the US, so there ain't many who can come close anyway.

Aey man, if that's what works for you, cool. But I know my facts. This aint somethin I feel like arguing.

I know TS burned. But it didn't burn "down". As a matter of fact, they're in the process of rebuilding it from what I hear. But it sucked for a long time before the fire. The last good time it had was in the late 80's and early 90's. They had a chef there who had his shit down cold. Then he left and it got sold a few times and it just became more of a tourist trap than a damn good meal.

My parents still live there, and I visit at least twice a year. I agree with you on the condo thing. City planners were stupid to allow that kind of zoning.
Are they rebuilding? I was going by this article:

Fire Consumes The Treasure Ship Restaraunt

...and others that quoted the owners as saying the damage was too extensive to rebuild.

I used to enjoy playing in that club, with it's incredibly low ceiling. But they used to keep it ice cold in there. In fact, our guitarist (ddye, from hannity.com) had his precious 1954 Les Paul Jr.'s neck snap because it went from 100+ degree August heat to the inside of that club, and the temperature difference was too much for it.

But PC used to be a fun town! Next time you are heading down, PM me and maybe we can meet for a drink or two or three.

...and others that quoted the owners as saying the damage was too extensive to rebuild.

I used to enjoy playing in that club, with it's incredibly low ceiling. But they used to keep it ice cold in there. In fact, our guitarist (ddye, from hannity.com) had his precious 1954 Les Paul Jr.'s neck snap because it went from 100+ degree August heat to the inside of that club, and the temperature difference was too much for it.

But PC used to be a fun town! Next time you are heading down, PM me and maybe we can meet for a drink or two or three.

The damage was bad, but I guess it wasn't so bad. And most of it was on the inside. The outside, while still damaged, at least doesn't look bad. And I guess they decided that there was enough money in it to rebuild it.

Last time I went to "the brig", yeah, it was cold. But it also sucked. This must have been 1999 or thereabouts. I'm tellin' ya, the owners during that time frame killed the place with overpriced and mediocre crap menu and drinks.

Adults don't go to nightclubs? Well, okay . . .

Ask an Atlanta long-timer about Saints.

Please tell me that Charlie Magruders and The Great Buckhead Saloon are still there. (oh, that's right, you don't go to clubs).

The damage was bad, but I guess it wasn't so bad. And most of it was on the inside. The outside, while still damaged, at least doesn't look bad. And I guess they decided that there was enough money in it to rebuild it.

Last time I went to "the brig", yeah, it was cold. But it also sucked. This must have been 1999 or thereabouts. I'm tellin' ya, the owners during that time frame killed the place with overpriced and mediocre crap menu and drinks.
"The Brig"! That was it! :lol: I'm talking early 1980s. 'NiteTown' in Destin was a huge rock club back then, also.

Please tell me that Charlie Magruders and The Great Buckhead Saloon are still there. (oh, that's right, you don't go to clubs).

I'm not implying that adults don't go. I myself just grew out of it. I worked at LaVela for a while, and I had my fill of loud thumping music, crowds, and fake people.

Give me a beach bar with a single guy, or maybe two, with a guitar, and I'm good to go :thup:

Don't know about Magruder's, but Buckhead Saloon is still here.

I may very well be moving to either California, or Alabama soon. Which state will I grace with my righteous awesomeness next?:confused:

Both meet my "no cold BS" requirement pretty much as it rarely gets cold in Alabama, and never in southern Cali.

Cali:

Obviously more jobs and the potential for there.....but the state is economically VERY depressed, sky high taxes, and they just chose further suicide with more of the same (Brown) BUT it's the most beautiful state in the Union. LA looks all types of different in an AMAZING way, more tolerant (gayness) and much better for me socio-culturally.

Alabama:
I could FINALLY get a live in a red state....but that has some socio-cultural draw backs (gayness) even if I do live in the state's minority clusters. But teh food would be real good, finally get to be back south, my home, which I miss beyond words, and within reach of my hometown (Miami) and Atlanta (really wanna go there). I would also enjoy being in the like minded, political/ideological majority.........

Input?

Come to Alabama and flaunt your gayness, no matter how conservative you are, you will not be accepted in many of the Republican and business communities. The other minority right organizations have almost no weight in the state. Your outrageousness in defending your political positions will win you much opportunity if you play it right. Let your sexuality out, and your awesomeness will become your nausisumaness. :lol: Your political kind will eat you in a most unwelcome way.

California can afford you the best of both of those worlds.

Good fortune on decision making.
Utter bullshit! Alabamans could give a shit if you're gay. Now a flaming lib like you'd get your ass kicked daily.

Only a tool of Hitler or Mussolini or Chavez or Franco or Peron or Thurmond or Palin would think I am liberal. Alabamans have their deep south problems (like all of the states down here) when it comes to gays, as do most deep southern communities. The larger the community, the less the problem. The smaller the community, a bigger problem the smaller the town. I live in the deep South, so I call your bs without any problem. The issue here is not political leaning, Ernie S., but common sense advice.

"The Brig"! That was it! :lol: I'm talking early 1980s. 'NiteTown' in Destin was a huge rock club back then, also.

I never hung in Destin, so I don't really know what's over there. Or still may be there. There was more than enough to do on PCB.

Ms. Newby's was a favorite hangout. As well as Hathaways (RIP).

I'm not implying that adults don't go. I myself just grew out of it. I worked at LaVela for a while, and I had my fill of loud thumping music, crowds, and fake people.

Give me a beach bar with a single guy, or maybe two, with a guitar, and I'm good to go :thup:

I'm glad to hear that! I used to play there also, and hang out with our buddies in the Atlanta-based band "Mother's Finest". Everyone except Baby Jean. She was a bit of a diva, but what a voice! You should play some of their songs on the radio, dude, and keep their memory alive. Awesome funk band.

Magruders is (was?) up toward Marietta, at the first exit east of I-75 north, on I-285.

I'm glad to hear that! I used to play there also, and hang out with our buddies in the Atlanta-based band "Mother's Finest". Everyone except Baby Jean. She was a bit of a diva, but what a voice! You should play some of their songs on the radio, dude, and keep their memory alive. Awesome funk band.

Magruders is (was?) up toward Marietta, at the first exit east of I-75 north, on I-285.

Gotcha, probably off Powers Ferry.

Forum List

Back