You Might Be Surprised...

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
...to know...

What it's really like in an urban school district.

...to know...

I won't be. My uncle and aunt were both Principles at some of the worst schools in NYC.. Later they went to consult with the NYC Board.. My uncle used to INSIST that I shadow him at work when I came to visit at ages 15 to 18 or so...

He had 3 cars destroyed and stripped. Two knife wounds and constantly in court for legal proceedings. Wasn't much about education at all.. Although he DID author a bunch of "comic book style" texts for various Jr High level courses.

I saw a play about an urban school district once. There were Sharks, there were Jets, and there was a bunch of Puerto Ricans.. None of them liked the others for some reason.

westside-640x330.jpeg

I saw a play about an urban school district once. There were Sharks, there were Jets, and there was a bunch of Puerto Ricans.. None of them liked the others for some reason.

westside-640x330.jpeg
That's it! That's how the kids walk through the hallways every day!

What I meant to say was that despite some - challenges - it's not always as bad as some might imagine.

You might be surprised at how often I get "yes sir" and "no sir" - ed all day, and kids offering to help with this or that on their own accord. These are often kids not even in my classes. I'm talking about as dense, 'diverse,' and urban a district as you can find anywhere. Last week, I was taking something out of my pocket and a (small) fold of cash fell out and onto the floor, unbeknownst to me. This was between classes, when the halls are more crowded than you can imagine. Sure enough, a young man (very young, but around 6'8") comes racing down the hall after me to hand it to me. After I thanked him, he gave me a "yes sir" and was on his way. No big deal.

westside-640x330.jpeg

And Natalie Wood became a Puerto Rican ...

Natalie-Wood-as-Maria-Nunez-in-West-Side-Story.jpg

So HOT!

You might also be surprised at how many of these kids (of all backgrounds) are involved in the Jr. ROTC. These kids come to school early every morning to drill, and participate in drill competitions around the region. These are some of the most polite, disciplined, focused kids you will find anywhere. At our last parent-teacher night they deployed all around the school - in uniform - to make sure any parents wandering around looking for their kids' teachers found their way. They also translated for parents who couldn't speak English if the teacher couldn't speak the students first language. Great kids.

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

You'd think someone from an island would be a better swimmer.

...to know...

I won't be. My uncle and aunt were both Principles at some of the worst schools in NYC.. Later they went to consult with the NYC Board.. My uncle used to INSIST that I shadow him at work when I came to visit at ages 15 to 18 or so...

He had 3 cars destroyed and stripped. Two knife wounds and constantly in court for legal proceedings. Wasn't much about education at all.. Although he DID author a bunch of "comic book style" texts for various Jr High level courses.

Was the Jim belushi movie based on your uncle?

51VMSD55BVL._SY445_.jpg

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Damn that Robert Wagner. If he hadn't killed her she would have had my babies. :14:

You might be surprised at how often I get "yes sir" and "no sir" - ed all day, and kids offering to help with this or that on their own accord. These are often kids not even in my classes. I'm talking about as dense, 'diverse,' and urban a district as you can find anywhere. Last week, I was taking something out of my pocket and a (small) fold of cash fell out and onto the floor, unbeknownst to me. This was between classes, when the halls are more crowded than you can imagine. Sure enough, a young man (very young, but around 6'8") comes racing down the hall after me to hand it to me. After I thanked him, he gave me a "yes sir" and was on his way. No big deal.

Thanks for sharing, I guess their is hope yet.

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Uhh...ahem.

She was born in San Francisco and died off the coast of California.

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Damn that Robert Wagner. If he hadn't killed her she would have had my babies. :14:

She'd be nearly 80 now ...

downton-abbey-season-6.jpg

I don't know she is 77 and I would do her

rwembrace_01_lg.jpg

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Uhh...ahem.

No way ... she's from Puerto Rico. She only came here because everything's good in America.

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Uhh...ahem.

No way ... she's from Puerto Rico. She only came here because everything's good in America.

Well if that's true, she sure as shit didn't swim here.

westside-640x330.jpeg

So HOT!

Uhh...ahem.

Pssst... *that was a joke*

Forum List

Back