You Go Obama, I say put more tariffs on China

We were never an isolationist country, we've always traded. We were once a non-interventionist country, but that's not isolationism. Yes, we had tariffs but they certainly didn't help our development at all. Isolating ourselves from the rest of the world won't make Americans rich it'll simply make us pay more money for lesser quality goods.

Oh Kennedy you disappoint me. I as an American History master can assure you that we were an isolationist country for 9 decades after the failed War of 1812, in spite of the Mexican American War, which was just a growth exercise tied to population shift, but could never be called non-interventionist. We made it our policy after Madison to intervene in the affairs of the Americas. Ask any Doctor of American History and they will tell you the same. Please do not try to bullshit one of the world's foremost experts on American History. We intervened anywhere we damn well pleased.

Your punishment for being so wrong? I know, I will not call you President Kennedy for a while. Shame on you.

WE had tariffs on imports as did most countries. Though part of a problem that is not the sole issue.

So you admit we had tariffs on our imports, but claim we were also isolationist? That makes no sense. An isolationist country wouldn't have tariffs because they wouldn't be trading.

KK, you do realize that your messiah Ron Paul ran on getting us out of the WTO, NAFTA, CAFTA and all free trade agreements and to rework any FTA to be mutually beneficial. These are things to admire him about! Why don't you?

Forcing consumers to pay more for a product is not beneficial, and certainly not during a recession. And Plymco, a trade-war with China will not be to our advantage over China's. By cutting us off and no longer buying our debt China would be far better off than they are now because they could then consume their own products, because by now they have to realize we're never going to be able to pay what we owe them and antagonizing them with more tariffs will just incite them even further. It wouldn't be over night but China would see a huge increase in their standard of living if they cut us off.

The official unemployment is at 9.8%! The real number is more like 19.8%! Cheap consumer products do us no good if people don't have jobs and money to purchase these goods! We need to figure out a way to make things state side!

Well the actual unemployment number is somewhere around 16.3%. But how do expensive consumer products do us more good than cheap ones?

Oh Kennedy you disappoint me. I as an American History master can assure you that we were an isolationist country for 9 decades after the failed War of 1812, in spite of the Mexican American War, which was just a growth exercise tied to population shift, but could never be called non-interventionist. We made it our policy after Madison to intervene in the affairs of the Americas. Ask any Doctor of American History and they will tell you the same. Please do not try to bullshit one of the world's foremost experts on American History. We intervened anywhere we damn well pleased.

Your punishment for being so wrong? I know, I will not call you President Kennedy for a while. Shame on you.

WE had tariffs on imports as did most countries. Though part of a problem that is not the sole issue.

So you admit we had tariffs on our imports, but claim we were also isolationist? That makes no sense. An isolationist country wouldn't have tariffs because they wouldn't be trading.

KK, you do realize that your messiah Ron Paul ran on getting us out of the WTO, NAFTA, CAFTA and all free trade agreements and to rework any FTA to be mutually beneficial. These are things to admire him about! Why don't you?

My messiah? Is there a church of Ron Paul somewhere that I'm not aware of?

At any rate, those "free trade" agreements don't amount to free trade and that's why Ron Paul wants to get us out of those agreements. He wants genuine free trade not "free trade" agreements where everyone agrees to free trade except for certain industries that "need" protecting.

WTO, NAFTA, CAFTA aren't about free trade...They're about centrally planned and managed trade.....That ain't freedom by a longshot.

Any real free trade agreement needs only two rules:

1) We will trade freely with all who wish to trade freely with us.

2) If you don't want to apply Rule #1, we'll give you the same deal you give us.

Essentially the fair tax makes doing business (including manufacturing) very cheap and attractive! See my avatar for more info on it!

The Fair Tax removes all income, corporate, payroll and capital gains taxes and creates one tax on output. These would be extremely valuable to businesses, especially small businesses! The no business taxes would offset China, Mexico and the 3rd world's lower wages!

Next we need to substantially decrease government! SUBSTANTIALLY DO IT, in all areas except healthcare! Sorry but a single payer system has PROVEN across the globe to save money in the long run. A single payor system is all probusiness. Healthcare benefits add substantial costs to businesses. Eliminate this and you just add another benefit to American Businesses!

Next end the war on drugs! It is very costly! It keeps Latin America in the dark ages and is a losing battle! End it now and concentrate on stopping illegal immigration and terrorist!

My messiah? Is there a church of Ron Paul somewhere that I'm not aware of?

At any rate, those "free trade" agreements don't amount to free trade and that's why Ron Paul wants to get us out of those agreements. He wants genuine free trade not "free trade" agreements where everyone agrees to free trade except for certain industries that "need" protecting.
I will admit the more and more crap that keeps flying America's way the more and more I respect Ron Paul and his ideas!

Essentially the fair tax makes doing business (including manufacturing) very cheap and attractive! See my avatar for more info on it!

The Fair Tax removes all income, corporate, payroll and capital gains taxes and creates one tax on output. These would be extremely valuable to businesses, especially small businesses! The no business taxes would offset China, Mexico and the 3rd world's lower wages!

Next we need to substantially decrease government! SUBSTANTIALLY DO IT, in all areas except healthcare! Sorry but a single payer system has PROVEN across the globe to save money in the long run. A single payor system is all probusiness. Healthcare benefits add substantial costs to businesses. Eliminate this and you just add another benefit to American Businesses!

Next end the war on drugs! It is very costly! It keeps Latin America in the dark ages and is a losing battle! End it now and concentrate on stopping illegal immigration and terrorist!

No income tax, no fair tax, and no flat tax would be better than substituting one for the other. We don't need any of them. Let's allow people to keep the fruits of their labor, that would be a true stimulus to the economy.

No income tax, no fair tax, and no flat tax would be better than substituting one for the other. We don't need any of them. Let's allow people to keep the fruits of their labor, that would be a true stimulus to the economy.

I believe it was Ben Franklin that stated there are 2 certainties in life, "Death and taxes!"

There is no way around taxation!

I believe it was Ben Franklin that stated there are 2 certainties in life, "Death and taxes!"

There is no way around taxation!

Yes, but the founding fathers wanted their independence primarily because of excessive taxation, and there was no income, fair, or flat tax during their time. If you get rid of the income tax and replace it with nothing then you allow the people to keep more of what they earned and stimulate the economy that way. The government doesn't need all that revenue for its legitimate constitutional duties.

Yes, but the founding fathers wanted their independence primarily because of excessive taxation, and there was no income, fair, or flat tax during their time. If you get rid of the income tax and replace it with nothing then you allow the people to keep more of what they earned and stimulate the economy that way. The government doesn't need all that revenue for its legitimate constitutional duties.
LOL, back then there were no car, planes, trains, electricity or even health insurance oh my!

The constitution clearly provides Congress with the power to lay and collect taxes! So who are you crappin?

Last edited:
LOL, back then there were no car, planes, trains, electricity or even health insurance oh my!

The constitution clearly provides Congress with the power to lay and collect taxes! So who are you crappin?

Yes, it does, but up until 1913 the income tax was unconstitutional, and the government was only given certain legitimate powers in the Constitution that would not have required an income tax or the equivalent thereof, such as a flat or fair tax. Taking in that much revenue is one reason the federal government is able to fund the welfare/warfare state. We need to reduce the size of the government, and one of the first steps would have to be to cut their funding.

I say we give Texas to the Chinese to pay off our debt. That'd be knocking off two birds with one stone!

The founding fathers wanted their independance due to no representation, NOT due to excessive taxation.

U.S. to Impose Tariff on Chinese Tires - WSJ.com

Good Job Mr. President, its about time you did something that I can agree with. :clap2:

I agree that US had to do something, but this is not the way and not the right time.

Therefore, this is one of the dumbest things he's done so far (and as we know, there have been many doozies!).

He's going to force American tire manufacturers to change their production lines to make tires they're not set up to make and sell them for a substantially higher retail cost than those coming from China, while the American manufacturers are trying to tell him they can't possibly make a profit from producing such low-end products.

Gotta wonder why he didn't set up an embargo on those little paper umbrellas that bars put in drinks. Nobody would mind paying $12 apiece for those if they were manufactured by a union shop in America, would they?

There goes any hope of telling China what to do with her currency, domestic problems, North Korea, etc.

For me, this is big shot in the foot for the American economy and American interest overseas.

The founding fathers wanted their independance due to no representation, NOT due to excessive taxation.

I believe the full quote is "No taxation without representation."

Forum List

Back