You Go Obama, I say put more tariffs on China

Dumb idea.

The last thing our anemic economy needs right now is a trade war.

Really dumb idea.

I understand your position but there is a reason I dont mind this one. I dont like china.

You know that china wont let a lot of our products into their market, is making billions a month on interest from our debt which they hold, and that we import far more from them than they do from us?

This is why i'm not worried about it hurting exports to china.....in the end we import so much more from them that it would destroy their economy to start a trade war with us. If they gave us the same access to their market as we give them to ours I would be against Obama doing this.

The same crap was said about Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Taiwan over the decades.

How are those countries and America faring today because of that trade?

I think we have good trade relations that are mutually beneficial with those countries. Japan even builds factories to produce their products inside the USA.

China is hurting our country economically, unlike the 3 you listed.

We just disagree here dude......but that was a good question.

Oh and to answer it, better than we would be without the trade relations with them.

i fully support buy american....its hard to do...but i am for the tariffs..

china holds us to the loan agreements we made .. but somehow the us continues to spend money as if it does not matter.

if the dollar takes a hit from losing its standing as the "currency of trade" in oil..teh value of the dolllar will fall quickly on the world market...increasing our debt to china

Forcing consumers to pay more for a product is not beneficial, and certainly not during a recession. And Plymco, a trade-war with China will not be to our advantage over China's. By cutting us off and no longer buying our debt China would be far better off than they are now because they could then consume their own products, because by now they have to realize we're never going to be able to pay what we owe them and antagonizing them with more tariffs will just incite them even further. It wouldn't be over night but China would see a huge increase in their standard of living if they cut us off.

We're trade jingoists shooting ourselves in the foot to demonstrate our patriotism...

...and what sort of person actively seeks to piss off his loan shark?

Last edited:
yes, but so does our net worth as well, as individuals, falls...no?

the 500 grand in retirement saved for 20 years of retirement will only buy 10 or 5 years worth...no? or is it the other way around??

The Chinese will kow tow before the Obama power just as the sillycons are being forced to kow tow to the coming of health care reform.

Forcing consumers to pay more for a product is not beneficial, and certainly not during a recession. And Plymco, a trade-war with China will not be to our advantage over China's. By cutting us off and no longer buying our debt China would be far better off than they are now because they could then consume their own products, because by now they have to realize we're never going to be able to pay what we owe them and antagonizing them with more tariffs will just incite them even further. It wouldn't be over night but China would see a huge increase in their standard of living if they cut us off.
But, ya gotta know, President Kennedy, that a trade war will be the result if things continue to deteriorate in the US. It has long been our culture to be isolationist. Historically, it was a damn good thing that we followed that policy. When we were an isolationist country, our economy was also isolated and we were doing fine with strong employment.

I am considering running for President as head of the "America First" Party with a platform of old fashioned Isolationism. "Only products made in America can be sold in America" will be the rule. By so doing, we will restore America to nearly full employment. I am considering allowing Mexico and Canada to join our country. (Mexican women are damn good looking, and we should not be afraid to breed with them.) We need the resources of both countries to make an easy go of it economically, but we can do it without them if they do not decide to dissolve their present political structure.

International Trade is a good thing if it benefits all concerned. It is not working out well for us and it is time that we say Nix On International Trade. (Nix On Nixon and his policies. He was wrong to befriend Communist China.)

The Chinese will kow tow before the Obama power just as the sillycons are being forced to kow tow to the coming of health care reform.

htmlimport_hu_jintao.jpg

vs.

2009-06-08-Obama.jpg

Is this a joke?

Last edited:
But, ya gotta know, President Kennedy, that a trade war will be the result if things continue to deteriorate in the US. It has long been our culture to be isolationist. Historically, it was a damn good thing that we followed that policy. When we were an isolationist country, our economy was also isolated and we were doing fine with strong employment.

I am considering running for President as head of the "America First" Party with a platform of old fashioned Isolationism. "Only products made in America can be sold in America" will be the rule. By so doing, we will restore America to nearly full employment. I am considering allowing Mexico and Canada to join our country. (Mexican women are damn good looking, and we should not be afraid to breed with them.) We need the resources of both countries to make an easy go of it economically, but we can do it without them if they do not decide to dissolve their present political structure.

International Trade is a good thing if it benefits all concerned. It is not working out well for us and it is time that we say Nix On International Trade. (Nix On Nixon and his policies. He was wrong to befriend Communist China.)

We were never an isolationist country, we've always traded. We were once a non-interventionist country, but that's not isolationism. Yes, we had tariffs but they certainly didn't help our development at all. Isolating ourselves from the rest of the world won't make Americans rich it'll simply make us pay more money for lesser quality goods.

We were never an isolationist country, we've always traded. We were once a non-interventionist country, but that's not isolationism. Yes, we had tariffs but they certainly didn't help our development at all. Isolating ourselves from the rest of the world won't make Americans rich it'll simply make us pay more money for lesser quality goods.

Oh Kennedy you disappoint me. I as an American History master can assure you that we were an isolationist country for 9 decades after the failed War of 1812, in spite of the Mexican American War, which was just a growth exercise tied to population shift, but could never be called non-interventionist. We made it our policy after Madison to intervene in the affairs of the Americas. Ask any Doctor of American History and they will tell you the same. Please do not try to bullshit one of the world's foremost experts on American History. We intervened anywhere we damn well pleased.

Your punishment for being so wrong? I know, I will not call you President Kennedy for a while. Shame on you.

WE had tariffs on imports as did most countries. Though part of a problem that is not the sole issue.

My, neubarf, can you twist history narratives out of shape. I would say shame on you, but you feel no shame. No sociopath does.

Oh Kennedy you disappoint me. I as an American History master can assure you that we were an isolationist country for 9 decades after the failed War of 1812, in spite of the Mexican American War, which was just a growth exercise tied to population shift, but could never be called non-interventionist. We made it our policy after Madison to intervene in the affairs of the Americas. Ask any Doctor of American History and they will tell you the same. Please do not try to bullshit one of the world's foremost experts on American History. We intervened anywhere we damn well pleased.

Your punishment for being so wrong? I know, I will not call you President Kennedy for a while. Shame on you.

WE had tariffs on imports as did most countries. Though part of a problem that is not the sole issue.

So you admit we had tariffs on our imports, but claim we were also isolationist? That makes no sense. An isolationist country wouldn't have tariffs because they wouldn't be trading.

Forum List

Back