Writing Process

Dhara, Beale suffers in misery and like most who do is vomiting on your thread. If you want to start a new one I'll be glad to join in. This site lends itself to the angries of the world. It likely isn't the best site to discuss writing.

You're right, I do suffer, and suffer mightily. If you knew me better you would know that cause, but with out knowing the details, you are launching a low brow ad hominem attack when someone dares to offer an alternative view point to your deeply held belief. Open your mind to the possibility that there might be more than one way to do things.

Do you honestly think Steinbeck, Hemingway, Faulkner or Fitzgerald did all the stuff you are going on about? Seriously?

I can tell you that wasn't Thoreau's method. :laugh:

Although, I am not "vomiting," I am simply offering a different POV, which, without more info, it might have been premature.

I've decided to channel most of my interest in writing to journaling instead of posting on forums.

I thought I'd start a thread for writers and we could encourage each other.

What is your end goal through your writing? With out knowing this, I can not really intelligently comment on what you hope to achieve.

I think both Sir Newton and I can agree, the first thing you need to identify is your audience, go from there.

Do you wish to just write for pleasure?

Do you want to write for posterity? Do you hope to create high art and literature?

Or are all of these things, in the end, secondary goals, while is writing for profit the primary motive?

See, I posted to soon. With out knowing why you are writing, I cannot really intelligently comment on your writing thread.

Some would say it makes no difference, but it makes all the difference in the world.

I am always on my son's case about reading pop fiction versus reading literature. Seems today, folks love to gobble that shit up.

They love to write it as well. If your end goal is to write pop fiction and pulp, listen to everything Sir Newton has said, it is right on the money, and it will help you make a mint. The world always needs more Harlequin writers.

You are just angry.

This is why posting a thread regarding something as positive as writing is not best assisted on a political message board. Harlequin writer? LOL.

Thank you judge of the world who hasn't read anything anyone here has written. People like you are just tiresome to the soul. Relax a little. Rembrandt and all the greats were taught and learned from masters. If someone can do it on their own, get to it.

Safe to think someone asking for opinions on writing is asking for opinions on writing.

Last edited:
If you are ever going to be successful as a writer - you have to approach it as a JOB. It requires dedication, gathering information, learning new things, set a schedule and adhere to it, and build a thick skin.

And, most important of all, if you can't properly tell the story, no one will read or listen to you.

I agree, story is the whole thing. You can get someone to look through and fix grammar and punctuation. The story has to be good. And you definitely need to develop a thick skin. You can't be married to what you write. Be passionate about it, but you have to be able to hand it to someone and have them say "this is terrible, and here's why". Then go about rewriting it.

Like everything it's like peeling up a piece of tape stuck to a the table. It takes a long time to get your fingernail under the tape, but once you do it comes right up.

If you are ever going to be successful as a writer - you have to approach it as a JOB. It requires dedication, gathering information, learning new things, set a schedule and adhere to it, and build a thick skin.

And, most important of all, if you can't properly tell the story, no one will read or listen to you.

I agree, story is the whole thing. You can get someone to look through and fix grammar and punctuation. The story has to be good. And you definitely need to develop a thick skin. You can't be married to what you write. Be passionate about it, but you have to be able to hand it to someone and have them say "this is terrible, and here's why". Then go about rewriting it.

Like everything it's like peeling up a piece of tape stuck to a the table. It takes a long time to get your fingernail under the tape, but once you do it comes right up.

This is terrible, because that is the worse metaphor I've seen in a long time.

Dhara, Beale suffers in misery and like most who do is vomiting on your thread. If you want to start a new one I'll be glad to join in. This site lends itself to the angries of the world. It likely isn't the best site to discuss writing.

You're right, I do suffer, and suffer mightily. If you knew me better you would know that cause, but with out knowing the details, you are launching a low brow ad hominem attack when someone dares to offer an alternative view point to your deeply held belief. Open your mind to the possibility that there might be more than one way to do things.

Do you honestly think Steinbeck, Hemingway, Faulkner or Fitzgerald did all the stuff you are going on about? Seriously?

Although, I am not "vomiting," I am simply offering a different POV, which, without more info, it might have been premature.

I've decided to channel most of my interest in writing to journaling instead of posting on forums.

What is your end goal through your writing? With out knowing this, I can not really intelligently comment on what you hope to achieve.

I think both Sir Newton and I can agree, the first thing you need to identify is your audience, go from there.

Do you want to write for posterity? Do you hope to create high art and literature?

Or are all of these things, in the end, secondary goals, while is writing for profit the primary motive?

See, I posted to soon. With out knowing why you are writing, I cannot really intelligently comment on your writing thread.

Some would say it makes no difference, but it makes all the difference in the world.

I am always on my son's case about reading pop fiction versus reading literature. Seems today, folks love to gobble that shit up.

They love to write it as well. If your end goal is to write pop fiction and pulp, listen to everything Sir Newton has said, it is right on the money, and it will help you make a mint. The world always needs more Harlequin writers.

You are just angry.

This is why posting a thread regarding something as positive as writing is not best assisted on a political message board. Harlequin writer? LOL.

Thank you judge of the world who hasn't read anything anyone here has written. People like you are just tiresome to the soul. Relax a little. Rembrandt and all the greats were taught and learned from masters. If someone can do it on their own, get to it.

Safe to think someone asking for opinions on writing is asking for opinions on writing.

Hmmm. . . funny you should mention fine art. I also trained in that area.

I wonder if you can tell me, was Norman Rockwell an Artist?

What do you seriously know of that field? I doubt much at all.

And someone isn't "asking writers" for their opinions on writing. Dhara is asking the general population for the opinion on what they think actual writers do.

Do, please, link us to some of your published work. . . .

Goodreads

I've already related some anecdotal stories about my conversation with Douglas Adams and my Lunch with Kurt Vonnegut. . . but please, tell us which authors you have met and trained with, and what they have told you.

You are just angry.

And someone isn't "asking writers" for their opinions on writing. Dhara is asking the general population for the opinion on what they think actual writers do.

Goodreads

I've already related some anecdotal stories about my conversation with Douglas Adams and my Lunch with Kurt Vonnegut. . . but please, tell us which authors you have met and trained with, and what they have told you.

You want a debate where none exists. Be happy.

End of line.....

The most important thing is to smoke opium or to abuse other drugs.

25 Great Writers Who Battled Drug Addiction and Alcoholism
Actually, this gets to what you were saying before, great writers aren't made, they don't train, etc.

You can't want to be a good or a great writer, you have it or you don't.

The reason they battle with drug and alcoholism is that it is a coping and self medicating mechanism.

The best writer on this forum is probably Mr. H. . . if he were dedicated. :badgrin:

During his more lucid moments, he can break your heart.

You are just angry.

Goodreads

End of line.....
Thank you.

I'll accept your concession and apology.

The most important thing is to smoke opium or to abuse other drugs.

25 Great Writers Who Battled Drug Addiction and Alcoholism
Actually, this gets to what you were saying before, great writers aren't made, they don't train, etc.

You can't want to be a good or a great writer, you have it or you don't.

The reason they battle with drug and alcoholism is that it is a coping and self medicating mechanism.

The best writer on this forum is probably Mr. H. . . if he were dedicated. :badgrin:

During his more lucid moments, he can break your heart.
I never said that great writers don't train. I simply contested the theory that the excruciating regime promoted by Isaac would turn anybody into a writer...or is the recipe for universal success.

You are just angry.

Goodreads

End of line.....
Thank you.

I'm sure your mind 'accepts' many things.

Last post to you Louie De Palma. Sorry for this Dhara, your thread deserves better.

You are just angry.

Goodreads

End of line.....
Thank you.

Last post to you Louie De Palma. Sorry for this Dhara, your thread deserves better.
You keep saying that Alex Rieger, but here you are, still stuck on-line, an amateur, going no where fast, posting where no one cares.

It tells you that you know no more about what you are talking about and have to call folks names when confronted with the inescapable truth.

You are just angry.

Goodreads

Seeing as you mentioned it -- Goodreads

You are just angry.

Goodreads

End of line.....
Thank you.

Thank you. Every word you posted is something I will return to again and again. I'd like to read your work too. Just for the learning.

For that reason, I am "following you" Isaac Newton. "Stalking" you to read what you write.

That brings up a question. How does a writer move from what the writer knows to writing about something the writer wants to know?

That brings up a question. How does a writer move from what the writer knows to writing about something the writer wants to know?

Research. You want to write about 14th century Russia? Go to the library and research online. Or find experts in the areas you need to know about, call your local University and see if a professor there will answer questions for 15-30 minutes. Some want to get paid, others don't. Just keep a list of names so you can credit them if need be and tell them you will give them credit for research if you publish something. Don't be shy, the worst anyone can say is no. People generally like talking about the things THEY are interested in so the more people you ask the more hits your'll get.

For instance I have been researching geology and archeology recently. I'll start online, if I find a particular book that looks like it has many answers or alot of info on the subject I'll buy it. Usually a used book on amazon or ebay or even at the local used book store. Or I'll check the local library where it's free!

Also, write to writers you admire and ask them questions. You may get something back, you may not. Check their websites, maybe they have a forum that they respond to, or they are on twitter or facebook.

All those famous people are just people. Some really don't want to be bothered but some like helping others. Find them.

I wanted to know about gold. This is the first link I came to just now. All The World's Gold

If you are writing fiction you don't have to be an expert but it certainly helps you tell a believable story if you know specific details about something.

You are just angry.

Goodreads

End of line.....
Thank you.

Thank you. Every word you posted is something I will return to again and again. I'd like to read your work too. Just for the learning.

For that reason, I am "following you" Isaac Newton. "Stalking" you to read what you write.

Thanks, generally I come here for entertainment though, nothing serious. I'd say best to read the great works of literature first. There is a reason they are considered great.

Vonnegut: The secret ingredient in my books is, there has never been a villain
Vonnegut: The secret ingredient in my books is, there has never been a villain

600x338

The point is to write as much as you know as quickly as possible.

I started out as copyboy, just stuck there in the office, waiting for somebody to move on so I could become a reporter. One Sunday I was there and had the police radio on. I heard that in an office building three blocks over, a guy had just been killed in an elevator accident. There was nobody else to go, so I went over, and I got there as soon as the fire department and police did.

The top of the elevator had come down and crushed the elevator operator. And I got to see this guy squashed and dead.

I phoned the story in, and my editor said, "Okay, call up his wife. What does his wife say?"

I said, "I can't do that."

He said, "Yes, you can."

Oh it was so dishonorable! I wouldn't do it now. If I had worked at City News much longer, I probably would have gotten sick of it.

Still, being a journalist influenced me as a novelist. I mean, a lot of critics think I'm stupid because my sentences are so simple and my method is so direct: they think these are defects. No. The point is to write as much as you know as quickly as possible.

In journalism you learn to write a story so someone can cut it without even reading it, putting all the most important stuff in the beginning. And in my books, for the first few pages I say what the hell is going to happen. When I taught at the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop, I told my students, "Look, I want you to write in such a way that should you drop dead, the reader ought to be able to finish the story for you."

I wasn't writing fiction in Chicago, just news and anthropology papers. Later, I started writing short stories and selling them. So I said, Hey, I'm a writer, I guess!

The man is a writing genius. Fucking brilliant. So easy to quote. Just that short bit, just by itself is a work. It makes you want to read the entire piece.

Well, it does if you care about writing and not just Sophistry.

Forum List

Back