Essay

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It amazes me that I have seniors in some of my classes with absolutely no idea how to write a solid essay. Granted they are ESL students, but how one gets so far without ever being taught the fundamentals of essay writing is disappointing to me. We are working on addressing this shortcoming in my most advanced classes now.

It amazes me that I have seniors in some of my classes with absolutely no idea how to write a solid essay. Granted they are ESL students, but how one gets so far without ever being taught the fundamentals of essay writing is disappointing to me. We are working on addressing this shortcoming in my most advanced classes now.
I really didn't grasp essays until college. The one teacher was OK, but she had this droning monotone low voice, oh!

An old female version of the teacher in Ferris Bueller.

I mean, she knew her stuff, but I just couldn't get into it. By college, it was do it or die! :aargh:

I really got a good English prof. is what happened.

An Essay (ese) is just a vato by another name~

Today's classes were quite rewarding in this regard. After several weeks of hammering home the same message about the steps, sequence, and purpose of form in essay writing, most of the students finally got it. My classes are usually pretty boisterous in discussing the topics we have or will discuss, debate, and ultimately write about, but today you could hear a pin drop for 80% of the class. Everyone was locked in and really doing a great job. It doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it is pretty cool.

Shows you the value of public schools.

Effective written communication is an asset in any field.
We think alike it seems. Sadly if you tally up who is expert in this, you learn it is very small numbers who think as we do.

I really didn't grasp essays until college. The one teacher was OK, but she had this droning monotone low voice, oh!

An old female version of the teacher in Ferris Bueller.

I mean, she knew her stuff, but I just couldn't get into it. By college, it was do it or die! :aargh:

I really got a good English prof. is what happened.

I was never actually taught how to write an essay. I was simply directed to do so, and then punished for doing it wrong. By high school, I'd essentially given up.

I'm an uneducated pig farmer who has written multiple dissertations

It can be somewhat a chore , but there are few in our educational system that would recognize the need or desire

~S~

At last! Final drafts are starting to roll in, and a dedicated bulletin-board is starting to fill up with completed packets. Positive developments!

Forum List

Back