Writer's Corner - Elitist for sure, but honesty and a cold hard look at reality.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Martin Eden Mercury, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Martin Eden Mercury

Martin Eden Mercury VIP Member Op-ed Contributor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Thank you Mr. Longknife. I believe you'd be an asset if you decided to contribute. There is no quantity requirement for becoming an op-ed contributor. It may be there are misconceptions out there; misconceptions caused by the nature of the beast that is -- the USMB, wild west, show.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,447
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Wake

Wake Easygoing Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    The rub, for me, was being told that my beliefs are balanced and that I am a respectful writer, but was then told there were too many 'grammatical mistakes' for my submission to be considered. I'm not perfect, and no one is, but why ask for an independent writer who's good at conveying a balanced view, yet brush him off when he comes knocking? Not attacking or insulting anyone here; I just feel that something is wrong with the editing process, and in the process you're missing out on people who would otherwise offer something good at the table.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,383
    See Spot run, run Spot run...

5. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,980
    Trust me, they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

The one thing that editors should be able to do is fix your grammatical mistakes. That's the whole PURPOSE of being an editor.

They don't have the chops for editing. They want to, and they think they do, but they don't. An editor should have BETTER skills than you do, and none of these bozos does. You can see in the way they troll the site, they lack content, discipline, and they are definitely not up to the task of editing anything. And they know it, which is why they opted not to mess with your stuff..they know their limitations, regardless of their hubris. They're all smoke and no content.

I would have loved to see your writing. If you ever have anything that needs tightened up, send it to me, I'll edit it for you. Not for these idiots, but if you ever decide you want to submit something elsewhere.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,687
    That's actually the function of a copy editor.

Line editors and content editors have other functions.

Of course, a good writer makes few to no grammatical errors, and a conscientious writer proofs her own work before submitting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,098
    USMB is not my first rodeo. Each time I change my home forum it's for an improvement that trumps all draw-backs. The degree of freedom of speech here is astounding. On a former hangout, name calling was prohibited to the extent of not being permitted to label someone a liberal or a conservative. Foul language and inflammatory remarks would get you banned...for life. (Of course, those so banned would come back under a new name and avatar, but it kept the place clean.)

Every now and then along would come a new member whose first post caught the attention of the upper crust elite of the board.

Board Elite: (You know them; those that run forum, those that suck up to those that run the forum, those that lead each political posture with a following flock of lesser parrots, those that are able to insult without appearing to have done so, ...most of which come from the seasoned, more intelligent posters.)

Well, along came Peeling. One post.

I and several others raced to the valid conclusion that this was the new alpha male and possibly the most intelligent person on the web.

He had a way of presenting his opinion on almost any topic without offending either side of a divided issue. His method of taking sides was to methodically, piece by piece, destroy an opponents argument with "if A, then B" logic and sequential steps from one stipulation to another.

His debates were the read of the day. The forum had one-on-one debate rules, a peanut gallery forum to discuss the ongoing debate and an open forum not near the size of USMB.

If you can find that man, you've got yourself a writer who is no egotist.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. Martin Eden Mercury

Martin Eden Mercury VIP Member Op-ed Contributor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Thank you for some very honest input. I believe ck's original ideal, and one I still believe holds true, is for a diverse group of writers to form an op-ed forum. Starting up, quantity of content is not as important as a standard of quality. But just as importantly, we need a diversity of opinion on the forum for it to work over the long term. I try to think of it more as a Writer's Corner Forum, with a sub-forum of op-ed contributions. We all have an opportunity to share in the building out of this Writer's Corner. The op-ed forum is a start. Where it goes from here is up to us, the members of USMB. I've been holding back on a few ideas I'd like to throw out there. One involves a team approach for a Week in Review type of posting. I will open a new thread on this idea if I can get some serious interest. In that thread we could lay out things and take it to a Conversation/Message Group.

thank you all
    Mem

9. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +14,947
    Actually, you seem to be goading KG, and you don't appear to be going about this matter in a way that resembles professionalism. Why ask for feedback if you are then rude to posters who are giving you honest feedback?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +14,947
    Me too. Lol.